PDA

View Full Version : career switch, finding a job, etc

photogwannabe
10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
hello! long time lurker, first time poster.

i'm a graphic designer ready to try what i've always thought about: art education. either elementary or college level. any advice about getting certified for elementary so i can start teaching soon or should i go full time get my MFA first? also, i'd like to try volunteering to get an idea of what i'm getting myself into, how do i find volunteer opportunities?

my big questions is: will i be able to find a job as an art teacher when i graduate? i'm less concerned about finding a job teaching college - there seems to be more of those positions around. but should i decide to teach elementary school, i'm very concerned i won't be able to find a job, or that i'll be forced to teach something else - language arts or something that i'll dislike.

any and all advice about this whole process (quitting my job, going back to school, still being able to pay bills, getting through school, finding a job)
will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!!

Alan Cross
10-22-2003, 08:51 PM
First of all I think if you do young kids you will surely need to do other subjects...there just isn't that much money for the arts anymore. I am pretty sure to teach in any school you are going to have to go to school....I think if you talked to say an art teacher in middle school I would think they would be happy to have you volunteer just to see what its like at that age most of the kids doing art love it so not to many trouble makers....You might also look at art stores to see if they need a teacher that is one of the places I teach and its lots of fun....
Alan :)

photogwannabe
10-23-2003, 11:07 AM
thanks for the input!

Alan Cross
10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Anytime and good luck!

Mkent41616
10-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Alan Cross
First of all I think if you do young kids you will surely need to do other subjects...there just isn't that much money for the arts anymore. I am pretty sure to teach in any school you are going to have to go to school....I think if you talked to say an art teacher in middle school I would think they would be happy to have you volunteer just to see what its like at that age most of the kids doing art love it so not to many trouble makers....You might also look at art stores to see if they need a teacher that is one of the places I teach and its lots of fun....

I'm an elementary art teacher and i love it . for the most part. I've also taught middle school. You need to take into account a few important factors. Such as the socio economic level of the children that you will be teaching. In middle school i taught in a school with a very LOW income level. 95% of the students were on school lunch, in that atmospere its very difficult to teach art due to a students lack of interest. we had many parents that didn't take an interest in thier child unless the child was suspended and they themselves had to take care of the child( and thier child lose school lunch and breakfast.) While student teachign though i worked in a very affluent middle school, the parents there took a greater interest in the happenings of the children and the school. Their children tended to be more polite and much more well mannered because, they knew thier parents would be displeased if thier behavior reflected badly upon them.
As i say this is dependent on the area. You might wind up in a very affluent section where the parents are appathetic toward thier childs progress. Though from what i have seen and experienced this is very rare. I must say that of the grades i have had the... pleasure of teaching i much prefer an elementary setting. The children tend to be more appreciative of what they are offered. though often I hear the complaint of "I can't draw. " where upon i quickly reasure them that they can and that to get better all they need do is practice.
Now as i said this is from my pwn experience. Your location states you are in chicago so the area may be far different there than here in the southeast. If you have the opertunity to teach in a collage, I might recomend you take it for a short time to see if that might be where your interest lies. I would love the opertunity to do that myself. But i still have to get my masters before i fear that will be much of a possability. Good luck and if you have to take the praxis II i highly recomend the annotated mona lisa as a study guide.

Alan Cross
10-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and I think if I was to ever teach in a shool elementary would be were I would want to be....although I do one class a year in a middle school and its amazing what those kids can do....

photogwannabe
10-23-2003, 02:42 PM
there's a ton of opportunity here to teach in "inner city" schools and get school paid for by the city. unfortunately, i don't think i'm made for that kind of a challenge. i applaud those who are!

thanks for your input

;)

Alan Cross
10-23-2003, 03:32 PM
So are you saying you don't want to teach young kids....might be a good place to start if there is a need ...once you get experence you can move up...

Mkent41616
10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
i think he is just saying that he would like to teach but that he doesn't want the added challenge. and in truth i agree a new teacher should not be paced in such a situation.

Alan Cross
10-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Yes I can see where an inner city school would be lots of problems...takes special people to work those places..

photogwannabe
10-23-2003, 04:43 PM
yeah, i'm just saying i don't think i could deal with all of the added problems that would come with teaching in very poor, very troubled neighborhoods.. at least not for very long.

Alan Cross
10-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Well is there much chance in getting a posting in a reg school? That inner city shool where they need all the help might be good to just do some volunteer just so you know for sure how it really is....might be fun.

pampe
10-23-2003, 06:55 PM
There are school systems in the US which will take ART TEACHERS without degrees due to the shortages.....my daughter does that in Texas.

You will need to find out specifically in your area.

Most systems however, IN THE US, require credentialing