PDA

View Full Version : Storing pastel painting

fe128
06-04-2016, 06:20 AM
How do you store pastel paintings?

I have been in the habit or mounting and framing each one, but this is becoming ridiculous as well as expensive. But they are so vulnerable otherwise.

I recall a phase, long ago, of hanging on wire coat hangers with multiple pegs

Anyone any better practical/sensible ideas, please

PS: selling them would be the best option but, unfortunately . . . .

RickinNM
06-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Several ways

1 I put them in a box face up lay tracing paper/glassine and layer them like that.
2 I will mat it and put a foamcore backing or some other stiff backing on it then use a crystal seal bag .

1 are okays or just haven't had time to mess with.

While 2 are items I think and hope will sell . 2 you can sell in bag or take out and frame or swap out framed work since 2s are matted and ready to go just add frame. Seems those bags do good protecting your work you can stack them or stand them up .

http://www.dickblick.com/products/krystal-seal-self-sealing-art-print-and-photo-bags/

this is 1 style but I got mine at hobby lobby

DAK723
06-04-2016, 04:03 PM
If they are painted on a rigid board, I just wrap some tracing paper around them, tape that down, and then stack them vertically in my closet or place them in a portfolio if small enough. If they are on paper, I hinge-mount them to a piece of foam board, tape tracing paper over the top, and stack them vertically in my closet.

Don

fe128
06-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks both of you for tips. Will review the situation as it is getting out of hand

stapeliad
06-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I just stick mine on the wall high up where they won't be touched or disturbed by cats.

westcoast_Mike
06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
I used to store them in crystal clear bags in a portfolio. I now store them in the bags in a flat file.

robertsloan2
06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm throwing this in for compactness. 9 x 12" or smaller I've started putting those on paper into an Itoya Profolio, the smooth surface of the clear pockets doesn't take dust off the painting or smear it. I have several in different small sizes and that lets me look through recent ones more easily.

All the rest are in clamshell archival boxes with glassine or tracing paper overlays.