PDA

View Full Version : My first post here (My 1st Oil Pastel)

Rosic
10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone...

Just recently was bitten by the "Pastel Bug"... let me ask you veterans something... are the symptoms of "Lovin' 'Em" and "Can't do Enough of 'Em" temporary or can I expect this to be terminal?

This is my first attempt at Oil Pastels and only my third pastel work to date. The first two were done last month with Soft Pastels. Boy oh boy... these oil pastels are different! LOL! Gotta say I love them both and hope to be a regular around here.

I am passionate about "The Blues" and this is a piece done from a photo of my favorite bluesman... John Lee Hooker. (http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/Hooker.html):cool:

All comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Rosic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2003/17108-jlhwc.JPG
8x10 masonite prepared with 50/50 gessoe-water / oil pastels / from reference photo / 6 hours / 10-22-03

:music:"I heard Papa tell Mama "LET that boy boogie-woogie! It's IN him and it GOT to come out!" And I felt so goood! Went on boogyin' just the same!":music:
:music: (Boogie Chillen!) :music: -- John Lee Hooker (1917-2001)

Visit my first two pastel works:
"Seated Nude" after Modigliani (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133024)
"Woman Combing Her Hair" after Degas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135532)

vrashton
10-22-2003, 02:17 PM
I hate to tell you this but I think it is terminal. It seems once you start with pastels you have to stick with pastels. I like your painting, I also like the blues.
Val

Rosic
10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by vrashton
I hate to tell you this but I think it is terminal.
Val

I was afraid of that... LOL!
Thanks Val... us blues-lovers need to stick together!:D

sundiver
10-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Rosic
Hey everyone...
Just recently was bitten by the "Pastel Bug"... ...can I expect this to be terminal?
This is my first attempt at Oil Pastels and only my third pastel work to date. ........I love them both and hope to be a regular around here.

It's a permanent addiction. Pastels are so immediate, so portable, so colorful, so satisfying....... :D
So welcome aboard!
Nice to see another oil pastellist, too- there are increasing numbers of us here.

Greeble
10-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Welcome! Ain't oil pastels grand? :D

Jen

Rosic
10-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
so satisfying....... :D

I like that!;)

Originally posted by sundiver

So welcome aboard!
Nice to see another oil pastellist, too- there are increasing numbers of us here.

Thanks for the warm welcome Sundiver...
but let me get two under my belt before I am officially considered in the ranks... LOL:D !

Thank you too Jen!

anney
10-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by vrashton
I hate to tell you this but I think it is terminal.

My hubby has two suggestions :
1) throw away the pastels,
2) that he constantly tell me that my work is awful.

Case 1) looks to me like a divorce reason, and case 2 doesn't work since there is WC!...

But anyway your oil pastel is very nice and you have to stay addicted!

Looking forward to see next ones,

Anne.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Now that you are addicted (you have no choice now), you must tell us what oil pastels you are using, and what technique you used for this wonderful painting. :D

CarlyHardy
10-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the addiction of pastels!!

How do you frame an oil pastel on masonite?

I looked at Sennelier Oil Pastels today and drooled a bit but the Soft Unison's were hanging just above the display....had to slap my hand a couple of times!! :D
carly

Stoy Jones
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Rosic!.... glad to see you here and see what your doing! Very decent work you managed here. I see the oils are treating you just fine.

I was bitten by the pastel bug and never recovered :( :D Look forward to seeing more.

Stoy

Rosic
10-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Anne... you crack me up :D... I'll keep your advice and observations in mind!

Originally posted by kyle
Now that you are addicted (you have no choice now), you must tell us what oil pastels you are using, and what technique you used for this wonderful painting. :D

Kyle... the cheapest set I could find... a 24 set of Reeves at the local Michael's store... a grand total of $7.50 I think. As I progress I would definitely be interested in learning what and what not to use from the experience gleaned from my new found friends in this forum. The same for technique... I don't know enough to use a technique although I look forward to developing one. I simply sketched out ol' John Lee on gessoed masonite and began adding color and a lot of finger rubbing. Thanks for your kind comments. A fellow Tarheel... I'm just down the road from you in Jacksonville.

Carly... Usually a work on the masonite is sprayed and framed without glass. Thanks for looking.

Question: Do I spray the finished oil pastel work like I do charcoal and soft pastel work? If so... do I use the same spray?

Stoy... Always a pleasure to hear from you... I look forward to hanging out with you in this forum too! Terminal huh?

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Check out the Oil Pastel Sticky in the Library at the top of the Forum (if you have not already) - lots of information for you "oilies". Holbeins seems to be the pastel of choice, but are expensive. Caran d'ache are a good alternative for an inbetween set.

I think there is a fixative specifically for oil pastels, but I would not use a fixative until you experiment with something you are not afraid to mess up. Oil pastels will form a "skin" after awhile, so I would try that first.

Rosic
10-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info Kat... will check out those stickys too!

ctmobitz
10-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Must say now you got me thinking about oil pastels.......you did a wonderful job .........ummmmm I like the soft pastels so much but I sure am going to try them oils yet.......

Thanks for the incentive.......

Good luck

Claude

Rosic
10-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ctmobitz
Must say now you got me thinking about oil pastels.......
Thanks for the incentive.......

Claude

Claude... we'll keep one another motivated... how does that sound?
Rosic

Dyin
10-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Been stayin off the forum so I could rest up some but gotta say hello to the new OP artist...love dem oils, love dem blues...
this is really good...totally love the style...(if he'd only do a riff for us)....Go to the bottom of the Library for a whole bunch of OP how tos after you get done with the sticky....once you do it in oils...you NEVER go back :evil: :D
Welcome to the forum Rosic...and try to get some of those Holbeins...they're HOT!

E-J
10-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Rosic, oil pastels too!! Looks like we will be seeing a LOT more of you in the pastel ward, uhh forum ... we're pretty much all terminal cases here :)

When John Lee Hooker died, a friend of mine who was a huge fan discovered from the obituary that the great man had lived just a few miles away from him and "liked visitors" ... !! My friend was saying 'NOW they tell me!!'

soap
10-23-2003, 03:59 AM
definitely terminal......:D

Welcome!

Rosic
10-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Dyin... oh yea... and the helpful info.

E-J... You're to kind and COOL!

Originally posted by E-J
When John Lee Hooker died, a friend of mine who was a huge fan discovered from the obituary that the great man had lived just a few miles away from him and "liked visitors" ... !! My friend was saying 'NOW they tell me!!'

Boy what a bummer for your friend. I almost traveled all the way from NC to attend his funeral but was unable for a reason I don't remember now... must not have been a good enough reason looking with hindsight. I never got to see Hooker perform live.

Soap... looking forward to spending time with you again my friend.

Thanks everyone!:clap: