PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever used up a pastel?

Nick7
05-31-2016, 05:29 AM
Hi,

Let me just say that I believe you have :D But how often? How many? Have you ever felt the need to buy a certain set again because you ran out of its pastels?

Out of 120 half sticks, I am running out of two (after two years). I haven't even made a dent into my Unisons and TLs (after one year of using them).

I am starting to believe that I need to be careful with my purchases because I will never be able to use up any set :)

In fact, especially with Unisons, I feel like breaking every stick in half and sharing with friend would be a good way to go (and still have supplies for years).

Thank you for your thoughts :)

water girl
05-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Maybe a few here and there. Keep in mind I have a lot of pastels. :angel: Although I have dropped a few that were smashed into a million bits. I have one TL dark red, that I like to use in my dark backgrounds, that is pretty small at this point.

Nick7
05-31-2016, 05:55 PM
"A few"...
And you use La Carte. That's surprising.
I start to think that keeping labels on pastels is the last thing I need to do :)

Thank you, Karen.

water girl
05-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Keep in mind I have quite a "few" pastels. :lol: :lol: :lol:

learning to paint
05-31-2016, 11:43 PM
Yes, and usually they are either some sort of a sky blue or some sort of a forest green. Two reasons why: they are often used to cover larger areas, and because I get lazy and when I find the particular blue or green that I like, I probably over-use it. Otherwise, I donít think Iíve run any other pastel color down to a nub. But they do break, and I lose some pieces, like we all do.

Equus Art
06-01-2016, 07:24 AM
TL Eggplant and one Great American blue, but like Karen says, I also have a "few" sticks.

Cat

Nick7
06-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Hmmm, so pastels producers bloom because we are greedy, not because we are running out of pastels... Interesting :D

I thought that especially when using sand papers, pastels would be getting small very quickly. I wonder how this information will influence my shopping :) But it could be an advertising slogan: our pastels will last decades!

Very surprising, I didn't expect that :)

water girl
06-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Nick, I use NuPastels to lay in the first layer. They are hard and inexpensive. It starts to fill in some of the tooth and then I don't have to use so much of the soft ones.

Nick7
06-01-2016, 06:07 PM
And have you actually used up the Nupastels? :)
It's all good, I am just really surprised that what you (all) buy, stays with you forever ;)

*Deirdre*
06-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Keep in mind I have quite a "few" pastels. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Devonlass
06-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Denim by Great American....I think it was called that....long ago took the label off. It's a very light blue.

JPQ
06-04-2016, 09:35 AM
One winsor&newton light blue becouse one my works needed it in strong. no very pastelway but works fine in this thing what i painted. and i try think what i can do with my w&n pastels becouse they feel so different (i tihnk look and even more worst some softer ones look more shiny i almost say than harder ones) to my others and i cannot get them more. and i have more space for other things after i used them.

Nick7
06-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have been reading the board about Material and some people said there that they needed to buy some sets again because they had ran out of the pastels. I liked that.
Maybe it's also important to see pastels as a tool, not precious little gems. Sometimes it's hard to do that though :)

robertsloan2
06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I used up about five or six while I was doing street portraits. One was medium value reddish brown, the rest were various tints. I was starting to wear down an aqua that I blended into sky color too.

I found that the more pastels I had, the slower they all wore down. The more tints I had, the slower the white wore down. Before I had the Skin Tones box I wore down two white sticks.

It varies with subject too, what colors wear down fast. Don't worry about it. If you start working larger or painting more you really will use up more, but if your subjects vary a lot the wear may be more even across more brands and colors. I quit worrying about it and now rotate which sets I'm using. Will tend to wear down the sketchy hard pastels faster anyway as I have fewer colors in that texture and have had to get extra white Conte a couple of years ago, thinking of getting a box of white Conte crayons for that reason.

I've also started adding half sticks sets when I do add other brands for that reason, not to worry about it. The more different greens and blues and browns I have, the easier it is to do landscapes without wearing down all the greens. I had that problem a LOT in colored pencils - blues and greens vanished like candy but I rarely used up all the fine gradations between yellow and red oranges. I needed to do more sunsets and orange flowers past a certain point!

Oh and violet wears down because I sketch under polychrome with it sometimes.

stapeliad
06-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Hmmm, so pastels producers bloom because we are greedy, not because we are running out of pastels...

...I'm not sure "greed" is the right word.
We have to keep in mind that pastels love company. And you never know when you need that exact color in that exact value in that exact softness.

The thing is, acquiring more pastels is an act of generosity because they LOVE being together and pastels need many friends. So we are being kind and loving to our pastels by giving them more friends.

We get to practice our color/value sense by sorting and organizing them.

If you ever feel a bit of trepidation over the size of your pastel collection, go look at pics of others' pastel collections which are enormous. there is always someone out there with a larger collection. :D

Nick7
06-06-2016, 03:41 PM
:D Oh, OK I get that LOL

So, you are saying that I am not the only one who goes to take a look at the pastels before going to bed?
:D

stapeliad
06-06-2016, 04:01 PM
While I admit to having done that, recently I have been painting in the evenings so have been staring at and using my pastels before bed. Which is even better. :D

Nick7
06-06-2016, 04:55 PM
:D I browse the Internet for pastel photos evenings. And then I go to take a look to see if I REALLY need more. :angel: