PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Unison colors or sets?

Nick7
05-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Do you use Unisons? Do you have your favourite color or set? I have 72 starter set and several darks and like them very much. In fact I think that I use them all, something I can't say about the Sennelier's set I have. I am thinking about getting some more in the future, but their range is a bit overwhelming :)
Especially their 1-18 sets of one color looks lovely. I mean who wouldn't want to have 18 orange sticks, right? :angel:

I like their darks and probably my blue BV 12 is the smallest one in the box now.
Do you have some favourite? :)

water girl
05-28-2016, 05:47 PM
I do! There are two reds, Red 7 and 8 that I use frequently. I also just discovered Y2 which is a lovely ochre.

Nick7
05-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Thank you, Karen. I like those two reds as well! I will remember to order the Y2.
I like them because I can break them in thirds, keep track of their numbers this way and still have pieces to play with.
I am slowly accepting the idea that I need to sort pastels by color and value (took me two years actually).

robertsloan2
06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Unison 120 Half Sticks is my absolute favorite set, lovely range I can paint anything with, plenty of lights and darks, no real spectrum gaps in it. Has the values and hues I really need. I find I use all the sticks fairly evenly when I really get going.

72 Starter was good but lacked violets and purples, that left me climbing the wall because I use them so much.

The cold reds aren't as bright as in some ranges but for that I may be adding open stock or other small sets.

JPQ
06-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Unison 120 Half Sticks is my absolute favorite set, lovely range I can paint anything with, plenty of lights and darks, no real spectrum gaps in it. Has the values and hues I really need. I find I use all the sticks fairly evenly when I really get going.

72 Starter was good but lacked violets and purples, that left me climbing the wall because I use them so much.

The cold reds aren't as bright as in some ranges but for that I may be adding open stock or other small sets.

I also i bet violets are not most bright but set looks nice. actually one nicest i bet there is not much lightfastness problems based used pigments. i sometime think when i old i must choice premade set or small selection pastels choiced by itself. i dont verylikely have room much spare pastels then. ps. to me unison works well for blending what i tested which reducs needing some hues. saddly grays are very colour ful. and we cannot buy half sticks to replace old sticks but this applies all brands.

robertsloan2
06-09-2016, 11:24 AM
It can work to just replace with full sticks, break to fit and store the other piece until needed. The more often I do that, the easier it gets to break them where I want to and not wind up with too-small bits at the start.

I've been happy with the intensity of the violets. I think it may be a different pigment or mixture. The muted cool reds aren't that bad, though, I find that if I just use that set for a painting it works well.

JPQ
06-10-2016, 05:35 PM
It can work to just replace with full sticks, break to fit and store the other piece until needed. The more often I do that, the easier it gets to break them where I want to and not wind up with too-small bits at the start.

I've been happy with the intensity of the violets. I think it may be a different pigment or mixture. The muted cool reds aren't that bad, though, I find that if I just use that set for a painting it works well.

Violets are i bet ine for landscapes but i think abstracts and flowers.
ps. of coures replacing is option but when most hues are here special order of 3 sticks then is bit pricey quickly.