PDA

View Full Version : Rollers on Dick Blick Master Etch

TJ1967
05-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Hi, I might be buying a used Dick Blick Master Etch (original model not the current one) and I'm just a little concerned about moving it. It would just be my wife and I lifting it in and out of the car. Does anyone know if it's very difficult to remove the rollers on one of these presses? Also thinking about buying a set of those moving straps that's suppose to make it easier to lift heavy items, just not sure it would work with something that is this short and squat. Thanks!

TJ1967
05-19-2016, 11:37 AM
never mind, I saw on the Blick page that it weighed 268 lbs, but after reading through some of the Master Etch discussions, I see that that is the crated weight :-)

Jeffro Jones
05-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Yes, even a smallish press is going to be heavy...
Taking the rollers off would probably mean a complete disassembly of the structure, which might be more than you want to do...
I'd be looking around for a large strong friend who owed me a solid :lol:

Good luck!!!

:::

Diane Cutter
05-19-2016, 03:21 PM
I've moved the Blick Master Etch. What we did was remove the bed, the arms, and screw down the roller so it didn't move while transporting it. There are some bars on either end of the press which are easy to grasp for moving it off the stand and into the car/truck.

I would recommend making it a "moving party". Though two strong people can move it, four is easier and more fun, especially when having celebratory beer and pizza once it's installed.

Diane

TJ1967
06-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Diane, can you tell me what the measurements on your master etch plate bed are? The master etch I bought didn't come with a bed and the folks at Blick art quoted me a price of $441 to special order a bed for it.

I found a company that will cut a phenolic canvas bed to my specs for half that price, but I don't want to tell them to take a sheet that is a 1/2 inch thick and cut it exactly 23 3/16 inches wide and then have it not fit in the grooves.

Thanks!

Diane Cutter
06-10-2016, 12:32 AM
Unfortunately, I no longer have that press so can't measure to give you exact dimensions. I am so sorry. Maybe another poster has that same model?

TJ1967
06-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Too bad! Maybe somebody will reply here. Hate to post a separate topic and clutter up the forum.

TJ1967
06-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Phenolic bed is ordered! I went an 1/8 of an inch shorter that the full 23 3/16 just because I didn't want to chance it being too tight. The Blick supplier was quoting me $440 for a replacement bed, but I found this company called Professional Plastics that could do a custom cut for 170 out the door. Here's hoping it fits!!

pressmaker
06-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Phenolic beds are not all the same. This material is normally used in the conctruction business to cover a facade of a building, because it is weather resistant. Standard these plates might be white and have a rough surface like an orange. For a bed plate it is better if the surface is smooth. In metric it would be a bed of 60 x 120 x 1cm. Normal price would be around 110 Euro. 170 USD is not that bad. Perhaps the bed is thicker than 1 cm.
Phenolic plates are actually not a plastic. The plates are made of layers of paper, drowned in hot liquid phenolic resin. A during cooling/hardening the plates are exposed to a huge pressure. After this process the plates are normally covered, for aestetic reasons with a white melamine coating.
It is perfect material for press beds; cheaper, lighther (=less dangerous), etc.

TJ1967
06-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Hope I got the right one then! The site offered different varieties: Paper, Linen, Canvas, and in different grades. I went with the paper after comparing the specs on strength and moisture absorption, plus I needed a plate that was a half an inch thick and that wasn't an option for some of the canvas and linen grades. Well, guess I'll know one way or the other when it arrives!

TJ1967
07-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Well, the bed arrived today, and I'm glad I asked for 23 1/8" instead of the full 23 3/16" because it was actually cut to 23 3/16"! The bed didn't want to go in the channels one way, so I turned it around and got it up to the rollers then dropped the top one down until it made contact with the top of the bed. I ran it through a couple of times. It turned easy for the most part until it got towards that one end and then I had to use some decent effort, but it didn't crack, so that's good, right? It is a snug fit, rubbing off some of that baby blue paint inside the channels and the channel on one side is cutting a sight groove on the top of the board, so I'm guessing there's a little warping going on, but I'll just keep running it through and maybe it'll work itself out. Definitely will help to tone my arms up. Now, I just have to wait for Blick to get the master etch blankets in stock and I'll be one step closer to pulling a print!

Saint Ragdoll
07-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Good for you!!! I bought a Blick Econo Etch model II off eBay for less than Blick charges, it had all the felts and the bed. Just a little rust on the rollers that isn't a problem. I pulled a couple of test prints then went back and did some general,oiling and it works perfectly!
Have you looked on eBay for blankets for your press? Or even considered using multiple layers of the felt you can get at fabric stores? Just something to use until you get the proper blankets.
Also, eBay has printing presses listed. If you do a search for Etching Press some will come up.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

TJ1967
07-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Figured I'd get the pusher/catcher/cushion blankets from Dick Blick. They just got the ones for the master etch back in stock. I think I am going to take the bed out into the garage and sand it down a little bit on the sides so it's not so snug going through the channels. Just been so stressed at the day job that by the time I get home I just can't seem to generate any desire to work on this or a painting I'm trying to finish up for my mom. But, I'll get there eventually. :)

Jeffro Jones
07-24-2016, 03:23 AM
I had to use some decent effort, but it didn't crack, so that's good, right? It is a snug fit, rubbing off some of that baby blue paint inside the channels and the channel on one side is cutting a sight groove on the top of the board, so I'm guessing there's a little warping going on, but I'll just keep running it through and maybe it'll work itself out.
this doesn't sound good.

I think I am going to take the bed out into the garage and sand it down a little bit on the sides so it's not so snug going through the channels.

it does sound like its too tight... better too loose than too tight, IMO... when the press is set up with blankets, and the bed is aligned properly, it will be the pressure, rather than the guide channels, that will keep it on its path.

:::

pressmaker
07-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Indeed. If the bed is not properly aligned and pushes against the guides, you will see trouble in your print!

intaglioman
11-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Ti'p...if you're grinding the sides of the phenolic bed...wear a good quality respirator. Arsenic is a dangerous dust you do not want to ingest. I'm building an etching press and am going to use a 1" hardened oil steel and Rockwell hardened to 62. Over time, plates (even steel & phenolic) will warp...so you might be wise to flip the bed occasionally. No facts here...just read lots of info on press bed choices. Good luck with your creativity!