PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 21/22nd October

Mo.
10-21-2003, 08:21 PM
G'morning, G'evening..G'day to all of you out there, lurkers included..... for those that don't know.....

...... The Daily Scumble/Mumble /Grumble/Fumble/Stumble and anything else you want to call it....is where we meet and talk about our day, moan/groan..... talk about the weather.... that's always popular! :D...Share our news, our day in general ... or just pop in and say.... Hi how are are you... so come on in and be part of the gang!....

My news .... do you really want to know? :D..... Okay.. I'll start with the weather... Winter has arrived, white frost this morning and darn cold, had to switch the central heating on... first time since last Winter.....The great DIY Kitchen.... haha I can now see a light at the end of tunnel.... give it another week or two and maybe, just maybe it will be done.... still in a mess, but each day it's getting nearer to the finish, so many setbacks which I will not bore you with, just know I'm awaiting for those people in the white coats to come and take me away! :D:D...........As for painting.... well I'm not, I'm burnt out, stressed out and frustrated, but hopefully will be producing work soon.

Now... how's your day been? ;) :D

Mo.:)

sundiver
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Cold, miserable, windy, rainy here....and some of those raindrops are miiiighty thick looking.
My good news is that hubby booked us a trip to Cuba in March for our anniversary. My bad news is that the custodians at his college are on strike and if they lose too much teaching time it'll have to be made up during holidays so we might not be able to go. :(
Too much whining. I'll have some wine instead!

vrashton
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
It is possible we may be getting snow tomorrow, just a little bit but still, yuck. Mo, you are so lucky to be getting a new kitchen, I wish I was. I have been complaining about our kitchen for 7 years now but still haven't convinced by husband that we need a new one. Of course the cupboard doors never seem to fall off onto his head. Oh well one day. Hope you get back to painting soon.
Val

Mo.
10-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey Wendy ... you should be so lucky to have a trip to Cuba for yor anniversary... I consider myself lucky to get a bunch of flowers.:D....that's tough news about the strike, hope it's resolved soon... enjoy your wine/whine.LOL! that's what the Scumble is for, ;)

Val.... Don't do it, don't do it...... it's a nightmare... :D... cold wintery weather is all around us... Brrrrrr!

Stoy Jones
10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
...... The Daily Scumble/Mumble /Grumble/Fumble/Stumble

Lol! Love em all! We're having a warm sunny spell, but never fear, the weather is just teasing me, because it can only last for so long until, I'm knee deep in snow.

Looking forward to my last class tomorrow (Wednesday) in pastels and will find out when the next one will be scheduled and sign up for it. Probably late winter or spring. Mo, hope you bounce back soon. Get that kitchen out of your way and things will shape up.

Stoy

cjkelly
10-21-2003, 10:34 PM
All this talk about cold weather and snow is making me envious! :D
Down Under it's turning hot, hot, hot. I have to wait till afternoon to sit at my art table, as it's facing east and hot in the mornings. Being domestically challenged, I grow more and more despondent every day as I watch clouds of dust and cane ash settle all over the house. It's harvest time for the sugar cane and this farm is a major traffic hazzard - tractors, trucks, harvestors, utes and 4 am starts. The car used to be green - it's now a fairly vague shade of beige.
But at least it's only messing up a daggy old kitchen and not a brand new one ... ;)

Have a nice day/night ...

cj

Deborah Secor
10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
It was so hot here today I wished I had on my sleeveless top in class! I mean, this is ridiculous. Blow some cold, snowy weather toward New Mexico, will ya?

I taught a class on how to paint shadows today. Tomorrow is a studio day (in theory, although there's laundry and house cleaning that should be done. I always seem to be able to skip those things and paint. "It's my job!"). Thursday we paint upside down--hey, do you think I should make them stand on their heads to paint?--uh, no, I have to demonstrate first. Never mind.

Thinking snow, thinking snow, thinking snow...

Deborah

Mary Robinson
10-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Well, I had a lovely day, it stopped raining for a bit, the sun even came out. I got meet the lovely and nice SweetBabyJ, we went to the Art Supply store together and put our wish list together while the girl at the store was doing her ordering :evil:. And then I got a couple of excellent pics of a beautiful sunset sky here, which I will post as soon as I download from the digital.

Mikki Petersen
10-22-2003, 04:11 AM
Mo., hang on Girl, it's almost over and you will so enjoy your new kitchen. It IS worth it!

Wendy, that Cuba Trip sounds so great! What a rich source of new painting subjects. Get those "Environmental Engineers" back to work! Don't they understand what's at stake?

Dee...I'm with you! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, please!

We just had a pellet stove installed to heat our mountain cottage home. First two nights, it was simply wonderful at chasing the evening chills away. Then...a record-breaking heat wave! I think it should be against the law to have 90+ degree heat at the end of October in the Northern Hemisphere. We finally live where it snows (until we moved here apparently:crying: ) and we are still sweating. I want a chill in the air, raking leaves, apple pies, etc. Oh yeah, a nice hearty soup pot simmering on the stove, too. Weather forecast is for more unseasonable heat for the forseeable future. Did I ever mention that about 15 years ago, I bought a fishing boat and started a three year drought? Yeah, after three years I dispaired of ever seeing rain again and sold the boat. That winter, we had the worst flooding in 50 years! Hmmmm...?!?

Hope everyone is having a lovely day!

One more thing...You know the Pastel 100 Competition? Has anyone else experienced this? I thought I would go ahead and enter a few of my paintings. I felt I have improved a lot over the last year and turned out some pretty good pieces. Feeling confident, I went through all my work and...suddenly, nothing I've painted looks good enough to wrap garbage let alone enter a competition. What could I have been thinking? Anyway, now that I've definitely given up on the idea of entering this competition and getting my fragile ego smashed to bits...my collection of works for 2003 are looking better and better again! Think I'll just hang on to my amatuer diddler status for a while longer.

Good vibes all!

E-J
10-22-2003, 04:24 AM
Mikki, I KNOW that feeling ... was rummaging through my pics to see what I've got that falls into the category of 'something-I-can-put-up-for-sale-at-a-modest-price-that-people-might-be-prepared-to-pay' and suddenly everything looks unworthy ... except for a couple of my best pieces which I've already got prices in mind for ... prices I doubt anyone around me would be willing to pay! I've been talking about starting to sell my stuff since June but my mind seems to be playing all the tricks it can to sabotage me.

It is a chilly autumn day here, and rather grey. The upside is that when the evenings are cold and dark it's so much easier to sit all cosy in my little painting room and spend time at the easel :)

Mikki Petersen
10-22-2003, 04:59 AM
Oh, E-J, your work is quite lovely and worthy of any price you ask. I am glad though to hear others go through a slump in confidence when looking at their own work with a "critical eye". Good luck selling!

Greeble
10-22-2003, 08:26 AM
We are having a wonderful and seasonal fall. The leaves are gorgeous. No sign of sn*w yet (I hate sn*w)

Our custodians never went on strike, but they got everyone's attention when they stopped replacing the toilet paper!

Whats a pellet stove?

Jen

doe
10-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi guys! I know I haven't been around much but think of you often. Isn't that wierd to miss your cyber friends? Of course I miss painting alot, but am almost through this stupid pharmacy studying phase (whatwasIthinking) so I'll be back to painting again soon.

Have forced myself to get back involved with the local art club and there are some interesting exhibiting opportunities coming up, but have to be juried in. One of these opportunities is in a local gallery and they want you to paint there during the exhibit. That would be great for pastels, but do you think I'll be able to set up a still life or something - or just paint the customers - the gallery? Has anyone else participated in something like this?

Well, I'm off today, so I'll be studying, cleaning, shopping, doing yard work.....not enough hours in the day.
:(
The weather here - a chilly 84 degrees!:)

P.S. Mikki and EJ, I agree, as soon as I finish something, I'm not happy with it. There's always something that could have been done better. But that's what keeps us going isn't it, in pursuit of the perfect painting? However, we can't let our clouded judgement get in the way of getting ourselves out in the world either.

Deborah Secor
10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
I spoke to a friend in Phoenix and she says there have been over 140 days where the temp is in excess of 100 degrees this year--and still counting! Yikes! Okay, I can stand it here...

Um, I wrote an article about the art of self-critique and in it I said:

"Why it's easier to dislike certain parts of a painting than it is to find those we value is hard to determine. However, most of us can go more quickly and easily to the things we don’t like about a piece. We need to develop a means by which we can evaluate the painting, something we can rely on to help us find problems and see where we need to enhance our skills."

One thing that I find most difficult is when my students auto-focus on the things they dislike without seeing the good in a painting. Probably one of the most valuable things about WC is that here we see all levels of work, from beginner to professional, and we see that no matter what the level there are issues that need solving in every painting. No matter how good you are there is always room for improvement!

But I think you simply HAVE to let go of harshly criticizing your own work and bring a balance to it, noting the good before seeing the bad. So, here's my challenge to you: put up a little show of your work (not next to the pastels where you'll be tempted to 'fix' something) and spend time looking. For each one WRITE out what you see that is pleasing, successful and good. Ask what you like about the painting and why. Only after you've found at least two things you like are you allowed to find the negative--and then you can only write ONE thing you dislike.

Try it and see if that helps. Remember, often there's no criticism as harsh as your own!

Okay, lecture over... Sorry if I'm preaching but my heart is really in this! LOL

Deborah

blissfullyunaware
10-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi Everybody, good to be getting back into the mix here ... but in a way its not good :( ... having an "attack" of the durn fibromyalgia and a lot of pain ... and drugs.... yuk :p ... if I don't make sense hope you understand why ! I picked at the "pastel riot" project for the past 5 days, having trouble lifting my arm but I was determined to participate as it was such a gorgeous picture. The weather here is cool and brisk, sunny with beautiful clouds... trying to get myself together to go out and take some pictures for refrence but we will have to see how that goes. Anyway, that my whine for today... (gotta watch can't be mixing whine with drugs.... :D ). Everyone have a great one...!!!

~~~~ Sharon

meowmeow
10-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Everyone sounds busy and not happy with their weather! :D It's good to know I am not the only one on overload and out of things! :D
Did I mention my daughter is engaged...wedding has been moved up to August 29, 2004, only 10 months away. She is doing most of the planning but I can't help but be preoccupied with it. A nic preoccupation at least. But somehow I am feeling overwhelmed by lots of other junk, not all bad, just life, and have not done much painting in the last couple of weeks. I am hoping things settle down soon.
I just wanted to stop in and say hello and see how everyone is. I have lurked briefly and bit and see people doing good art...that's always wonderful to see. I have posted a couple of times but don't always have to time give the response the care it takes so have opted to say nothing...but it doesn't mean I don't think there is some neat stuff happening. ANd I'm keeping an eye on you all!
I hope to get back here soon and bother you more! :D

Sandy

bcraver
10-22-2003, 03:04 PM
What a good thread to go to. I've been working on a piece that is driving me nuts, I even dream about it!

Also have looked into the Pastel 100 competition, but am daunted by the slide requirement since I don't have an SLR camera anymore, (not to mention whether anything I've done is good enough.) I saw in an online article in American Artist that lots of competitions are going to be going to digital submissions! Wouldn't that be cool?

I want to have copies of my pieces but don't want to have three different process for each piece (slide, digital photo, scan), I want just one! Then I can have the image, print it if I want, post to the internet, make a slide of it, or have it printed. Thats what I want, don't know if its possible to get all of that out of one method.

I liked hearing from Deborah about the self critique. A good idea to look for the good parts for a change! A good art teacher always seems to be able to find something good about any piece, so why shouldn't we?

Good to hear from each of you.

From rainy, overcast (as usual!) SE Alaska. Smiling anyway!
Barbara

SweetBabyJ
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Just back from dropping off 12 (count 'em twelve) pieces to the Gallery and various other errands. I stayed far away from the art supply store today- which was difficult- and after I make it look like I "did something around here today" I'v promised myself an extended visit with a detailed macro painting of fall leaves.

Hopefully, I won't forget the time and have to send Hubby to Morgie's for dinner....

sundiver
10-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist

I taught a class on how to paint shadows today.
Deborah

Any chance we could get a demo? :)
Or it could even take the form of a pastel riot, with an image to play and learn with.
I'd love to be in one of your classes.

sundiver
10-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Greeble
Whats a pellet stove?
Jen

It's like a wood stove except it burns little pressed-wood pellet thingys that you buy. Supposed to be more effecient or cleaner or something.

paulb
10-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Went to bed at 1am Tuesday morning during a thunderstorm, got up at 3 in the afternoonafternoon (I work nights!) to find out that it was snowing, the airport had shut down and the thunderstorm was still going....!

So I got going on a copy of a big Luis Royo image that I'm copying for a friend....

It's now 4am Thursday and I'm back at work. :(

P.

Mikki Petersen
10-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Dee, I'm so glad I came back to this thread to see your challenge. It sounds like a great idea. I am usually generous and kind in critiquing the work of others but boy! do I beat up on mine. I think that is why I've been so productive with WC...I have a place to get feedback and keep a little perspective. Thanks so much for the info.

I find that I'm generally happy with a piece when I sign it and call it done because I've learned to set it aside and let it cool for a while before the finale. That is, I like what I have done for my own personal satisfaction. It's when I think in terms of being "judged" that my expectations go through the roof and satisfaction goes down the drain. My family and friends are really pushing me to start showing my work but maybe I'm just not ready.

Jen, sorry I didn't see your question. Wendy is right. A pellet stove burns little pellets of sawdust that look like rabbit feed. Ours is a self feeder on thermostat. We estimate it will only cost about $100.00 to heat the house for the whole winter! And we are in snow country. They are very efficient with virtually no waste, no mess, and very little polution.

I'm gonna paint tomorrow. I am, I am, I am...

Dyin
10-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Hi from an old friend!!! Can't post much...Sharon...I have fibro too...and it's been a mutha lately...PM me...k?
I for the first time in weeks pulled out the Holbeins...brain is mush, can't even think color so playing with a gray scale just to do something.
Have missed you all so much, but sitting and typing at the puter just aggravates things...but wanted to say a quick hi to everyone and let you know I lurk here and there...Impete...great to see you back! Been some really nice stuff on here lately...quite the color riot! Happy painting all!

Stoy Jones
10-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Sue, good show! ;) Maybe those hot Holbiens will work for yah soon!

Stoy

Dyin
10-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Stoy! Will be lookin for your last class drawing...can't wait...did I mention that the S word is a BAD WORD????? :D Sheesh, promised myself I would get off the puter...but had to say HI!!!

E-J
10-23-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by dee_artist
So, here's my challenge to you: put up a little show of your work (not next to the pastels where you'll be tempted to 'fix' something) and spend time looking. For each one WRITE out what you see that is pleasing, successful and good. Ask what you like about the painting and why. Only after you've found at least two things you like are you allowed to find the negative--and then you can only write ONE thing you dislike.

Deborah ... I'm going to try this ... thanks :)

Mikki Petersen
10-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Sue, so sorry to hear you've been down. These chronic illnesses can take all the joy out of life during bad spells, can't they. Hope you are up and painting soon.