PDA

View Full Version : ??? FrontPage 2002

CarlyHardy
07-06-2001, 04:12 PM
I installed MS FrontPage 2002 to create web pages...so far so good.

With that done, I tried to publish it to the web at artistnation.com.
I don't seem to be able to do that. Can someone help me?

If you are using FrontPage, how do you publish your pages to the web?
carly

llis
07-06-2001, 04:32 PM
Carly: last time I tried to FTP my front page files it would not work. I think that Scott still has a bit to go before Artistnation will accept front page FTP. He may have it fixed now. I have not tried for a month or so.

Good luck...let me know if you are successful and I will try mine again. At any rate, you can still copy and paste your html from front page into the file manager....but using front page to manage your pages all at one time would be a real treat for sure.

:)

TPS
07-07-2001, 01:07 AM
Front Page is notorious for tons of excess code, unnecessary and sometimes wrong too. And some of it is only recognized by IE5; Netscape, AOL and others don't always support it. Most all hosts require special servers to handle it. Many do not allow it for those reasons. Likely Scott is working on it.

I looked at a site which was just a single page of text, and it took 14 pages of code with Front Page. That's ridiculous!

Roan
07-07-2001, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by TPS
Front Page is notorious for tons of excess code, unnecessary and sometimes wrong too. And some of it is only recognized by IE5; Netscape, AOL and others don't always support it. Most all hosts require special servers to handle it. Many do not allow it for those reasons. Likely Scott is working on it.

I looked at a site which was just a single page of text, and it took 14 pages of code with Front Page. That's ridiculous!

Hear! Hear!

I've helped people with web sites many times and most recently a couple of people joining the WC Web Ring. Front Page is a royal PITA to work with and I can't BELIEVE the garbage it throws into the code. I've taken pages and pages of Front Page code and condensed them into 1 or 2 pages.

Another note, those 14 pages of code that TPS is referring to will *drastically* slow down your web site load, especially if there are rather extensive graphics on your web page as well.

Best advice, seriously: learn HTML and do it yourself. It *really* isn't that hard.

carly
07-08-2001, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to say that Front Page 2002 doesn't seem to generate as much code as the earlier versions. So far I've used it for four pages at two sites and the code was really simple.

I did learn enough basic html to produce a simple page but for time sake I wanted a faster method! I've used the Smart FTP for transfer and it works well also.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
carly