PDA

View Full Version : portrait

artinoils
10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-21-2003/7970_portrait3_2003.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: portrait
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11 approx
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Shouldn't paint while very tired...not enough patience to get things right. Left eye has problems...she was happier than I made her look...maybe my feeling of tired coming through. Spent about 2 hrs on this.
There are things I like about it but things I could do better.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

giniaad
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I love your palette
simple, earthy and a sense of freshness like a peach

yeah, her right eye could be a bit more clear
especially with the light stronger on that side

could be cropped a bit above her head
the only other thing is the apple of her right cheek
looks flat compared to the apple of her left cheek

she does not look happy...looks to be concentrating
that is ok, at least for me...

Susan, you do lovely work...
no one does well when they are tired...
I warn people...if I am tired... ;)
you did pretty damn well for being tired!!!
a few touches here and there and this is grand!
simple, subtle, elegance

overall I really enjoy this piece

Paintonbrush
10-21-2003, 06:47 PM
An attractive piece. The disposition and position make this as well as the palette.
Left and right eye may need a bit of adjustment to match a bit more....but not to match perfect.
this is good stuff!

bocote
10-22-2003, 01:03 AM
I like this. for the time you did this in and being tired - I think you've done very well. Color values consistant and lighting strong. good contrast between distinct areas. expression strong... perhaps like you said a bit more than real - lips saying sad, but eyes not in line.

what red is that you have in the background?

Wayne Gaudon
10-22-2003, 03:55 AM
if I could do half as well I'd probably have something to say :D

bloodjelly
10-22-2003, 04:25 AM
ditto

markr
10-22-2003, 04:47 AM
Sorry in advance for bringing this up with this particular piece ... after seeing your posts for the past few months I've had a hard time critiquing cause you have such a facility with the paint ... obviously a very strong education or profound intuition ... you know how to get the right stuff.
I'm starting to wonder though .. about how far you can (or will) actually take these pieces. I'm always looking for a lasting image (it's rare, I know) and facility alone, though it's gotta be a damn good start, is not enough. So easy to sit here and talk when my own pieces fall so short ... wondering if you can show me a piece that you took to it's, and your own, absolute limit ... and of course where I can find it.

Solid work ... want to hear about where you learned to paint this way and if any of these words mean anything re the actual work ... I know this computer is a notional picture of a real and vivid world.
Thank you,
Mark

pampe
10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Susan

Hard to believe we went to almost the same school:rolleyes:

This is way too good....with all the grumblings about tired, etc

The darkness is so rich that the light bouces

WELL DONE

*must have had a different pharmacology instrctor than me* :rolleyes:

Pam

jerryW
10-22-2003, 07:36 PM
very sculptural
result

dornberg
10-23-2003, 02:35 PM
i like the dark light pattern play

madeline
10-23-2003, 04:13 PM
I particularly like your color palette and brushwork. I also enjoy the solemn mood of this painting.
If you have a chance, and I am sure you know this, but look at the negative space around the model's right eye. I speculated what you saw and changed a few things. I thought that there might also be a shadow under the the right side of her lip since the light source seems to be shining from her immediate right and the curved areas on the right side would probably create one. I also thought the inside of her right eyelid would be a little lighter than the areas on the left eyelid b/c of the light source. I don't know if this will help but I hope it does.
Good luck with the painting. :)

artinoils
10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
giniaad, I usually warn people too.;)

Dianne, agree about the eyes, thanks.

bocote, the red is venetian mixed with some blue, can't remember might have been cobalt or ultramarine.

Wayne and bloodjelly, you can do it!

markr, ah, absolute limit...where is that? When time is up with the model or when it pleases the painter or enough information is given for the viewer? As to education and intuition a little of both.
My grandmother was an artist so grew up with it. Self directed education...I choose classes with only the best of Philadelphia artists and books from best mostly from art students league in NYC.

Pam, ;) :D

Jerry, sculptural...yes.

Dornberg, chiaroscuro is the strengnth.

Madeline, you have improved the eye but it didn't cut in that much on the side of the face. If her head was turned more that would be correct. The lighting was top right front of model.

Gia
10-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I love the strokes in this! Very good.