PDA

View Full Version : Deb Hill's Strathmore Visual Journal

Deborah Susan Hill
04-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Here's a recent entry into my experimental sketchbook which I use for testing out new art supplies and make rough sketches in. It is the sunset outside of my sliding glass doors off the back deck. 9x12 bristol board Strathmore visual journal, Pigma Micron 005 pen and Holbein Watercolor paint.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Here's another entry in which I tested some recently purchased Turner Gouache which is comprised of high quality pigments and relies on them for,their opacity rather than adding white filler to attain it. I like these paints as they are heavily saturated and vibrant and even when I mixed them in a 50/50 water to paint ratio they still retained their opacity.

Yorky
04-27-2016, 03:50 AM
As you say they are very saturated colours.

Doug

Blooming
04-27-2016, 10:19 AM
What vivid colors! I like the color scheme of each one.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-27-2016, 12:20 PM
I am using this journal for rough sketches and color tests of paint and other media that I've picked up on Ebay or on sale at the various discount online stores. The Turner Designer's Gouache which is water soluble when it has dried as opposed to their Acryla gouache which isn't water soluble once it had dried, was an Ebay find at a windfall price. I was able to purchase 90 14ml. tubes for well under $1 a tube. Only one of the tubes had dried out due to a pinhole in it. The rest were in new condition having never been opened.

I have no incentive to give glowing reviews of any of the various media I'm testing here as I purchase it all on my own hook and receive no freebies from the manufacturer. If they gave them to me I'd still have to be honest about the quality of the materials. In the case of the Turner Gouache, it appears to be as good or better than the Winsor Newton Gouache that I have here.

The brilliance of color and heavy pigment load were impressive in these paints. I would recommend them if you like heavily saturated color! You can of course tone them down by mixing if you don't like them straight out of the tube by adding a touch of their compliment or making tint by adding some white.. I'm a color junkie sometimes though. And these tubes of Turner are brilliant! If it is any indication, I'd be willing to bet that their transparent watercolor line would be equally good! If I can find a cheap or used set, I'll pick them up and try them out as well. As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
04-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Thank you for your honest reviews. Lovely experiments, both of them.