PDA

View Full Version : Color and Values

jasuus
04-21-2016, 10:03 AM
I have difficulty choosing separating Hue and Value when choosing a pastel. Say, for example, choosing a purple and a green of the same value, and not letting the hue influence value in my mind. Is this something that just comes with practice? Any recommendations for practice/learning?

James

DAK723
04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Judging the value of colored objects (such as pastels) can be quite difficult. The brightness or intensity can make it difficult, too! Squinting can help. Taking photos of pastels and changing them to grayscale can help, too. Using a piece of scrap paper when you paint may help. If you lay down one color on top of another, you can often tell which is darker or lighter. I'd like to say that it something that comes with practice, but after 35 years of painting, it still isn't easy! But that may be just me!

Don

PeggyB
04-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Don's suggestion of photographing the pastels you think you want to use, and changing them to gray scale is helpful. However, I suggest taking it one step further if you are using colored paper. Use a scrap of that paper and put some pastel on it before photographing. The color of the paper also influences the value of the pastel.
And yes it is a matter of experience; sometimes many many years of experience. That's why our cellphone cameras are so helpful. They aren't perfect, but they do help one to make value choices.

pasteltekenaar
05-02-2016, 07:39 AM
choosing pastels depends in which mood I am, it can change....:rolleyes:
but that gives me endless freedom in drawing!
besides that, I can put layer after layer with pencils in different values on pastelmat until I'm satisfied.