PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished and undecided

CaliAnn
04-18-2016, 09:40 AM
So I find myself with soooo many unfinished pieces. I start something, then see something else and want to do that one, so I put away what I've been working on and move on to the new one.... that is, until I see something new!:angel:
I have a healthy collection of disasters, but I keep them because I learn from them, but these unfinished pieces are driving me crazy. Some of them are just started, maybe 25% completed and others are 90% completed. The 90% ones are the worse, because I look at them and think "just finish it!", but there is usually something about them that is bothering me and I just can't figure out what it is, so back to the "finish later" pile it goes.

Is it just me being a newbie at this, or is there anyone else like this? If so, do you ever get around to finishing them? I hate tossing them out because I always think they have potential (even if they don't - my cups always half full).

water girl
04-18-2016, 12:37 PM
I have a few of those myself. Sometimes, I'll go back months later and I'm able to look at the unfinished painting a little differently. Those lucky ones get finished. There is still a pile of unfinished paintings in the corner, however.

CaliAnn
04-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Karen - glad to hear I'm not the only one. I do wonder though, by the end of the year - how many unfinished will I end up with? LOL!

That Artist Woman
04-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi Cali Ann, I think there may be an unfinished work club that we all belong to. I find it's helpful to pull the piece out days (weeks? Months? ) later and ask what made me stop working on it. Usually it is frustration because something is not working in the painting. With me, it is usually composition. So at least I learned something from it! Then I can throw it away or start over with a new plan with a clear conscience.

Keep working! There is an old saying that you must do 100 paintings to come up with one real winner!

gmistix
04-20-2016, 04:25 PM
In the fiber arts community, they're commonly known as UFOs...UnFinished Objects. ;)

CaliAnn
04-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Artist Woman - oye! a 100, eh? Think I'm close to that now! LOL!

gmistix - UFO's, I LOVE that! LOL :)

Dea
04-22-2016, 12:54 AM
I try not to let myself start a new painting until I've finished the one I'm on but that usually results in me not painting anything so maybe you have the right method, at least you are painting😀
Deanna

CM Neidhofer
04-22-2016, 11:13 AM
And.....sometimes that painting just isn't going to work, no matter how hard you try. I have one that I want to paint so badly. I've tried two times now. It just doesn't want to seem to be painted. I will probably try one more time at some point though. If I can't get it to work...it's history. Painting should be fun, not frustrating!!

CaliAnn
04-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Deanna, I think if I tried to force myself to finish something when I really want to start something else, I wouldn't enjoy it. I'd resent the painting I'm working on, cuz I got some crazy idea in my head that the other one I really want to do will be a good one LOL I'm delusional :)

CaliAnn
04-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Christine, yes art should be fun, but it can be frustrating too, at least for me. I have a small selection of pastels, so I have to really play around to get the colors I want, and usually I end up settling because I just can't get want I want. Yep on the painting just isn't going to work no matter how hard you try or how much you try to delude yourself! :)

LilliCC
04-23-2016, 03:56 PM
I Love it!! Oh, now I definitely would love to belong to the UFO Club! Would I be able to finish my comments on it though? And aren't we ALL works in progress?

:wave:

CaliAnn
04-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Would I be able to finish my comments on it though? A <-- hahahahahaha! That made me laugh so much, I almost spit out my coffee! :)

ArtistMelinda
04-25-2016, 06:41 PM
:clap: those are the ones where you go back with the attitude that you are going to attack the issues with NO CARE as to whether it works or not! Make BOLD stroke corrections and make a statement - take that! stupid drawing! I have been surprised at how many successes I end up with by not caring and taking RISKS that I am afraid to use on my "better" drawings!! Try It!!

CaliAnn
04-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Melinda - that sounds like an idea! What's to lose, right?

PeggyB
04-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Do you start by drawing several "thumbnail" sketches? Sometimes we stop working on a painting when it becomes frustrating because either the composition or the values are not what they should be. I know everyone wants to get to the "fun part" of applying color to ground/paper, but if you find you are being stopped far more times than you want to be perhaps taking that one extra step is needed.
Finishing a painting is work, and almost every painting I do goes through what I think of as the "ugly" stage. I know it will not stay there because I have enough experience to know where I'm going. If you are new to painting, take the baby steps until you have the confidence to proceed through those "ugly"stages. I've had dozens and dozens of students who are very familiar with this "lecture". The most successful ones accepted doing multiple composition and value studies before painting.