PDA

View Full Version : "Artist's Bedroom"

woodguy
10-21-2003, 03:10 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-21-2003/5058_artistsbedroom.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Artist's Bedroom"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This one has a story....had two teeth pulled at 4:30, at 6:30 I started on this with just washes. By 7:30 I got the bleeding to stop, and started to administer liquid "pain diversion" and at 11:30 I called it done...the painting that is. Operation "Pain Diversion" is still in effect.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is 95% made up....just started with a general layout of our bedroom. The light, artifacts and colors just kind of "happened"
Any suggests or comments are certainly welcomed and appreciated. Jim

woodguy
10-21-2003, 03:28 AM
Just realized how much the window..and it's light..detracts from this. I will have to revisit this to see what can be done. Painting something outside of the window would create confusion. Perhaps blowing lace curtains? Changing the temp? Blurry? Any suggestions are welcomed....you all have saved more than one painting for me in the past! Jim

coulter
10-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Jim, what a great painting! Creating through the pain huh? I didn't notice the window until the second look, but I think you are right. I also think sheer curtains should do the trick!!!

Very very minor..... This looks a little "tighter" that your usual so some of the mystery is missing? maybe darker darks around the pillows? Like I say, I already like it so.....

Mark

jerryW
10-21-2003, 09:50 AM
something uplifting
is it the positioning of lighted areas?
is it the subliminal arrow shapes?
inspired and comforted.
heal

roberj
10-21-2003, 09:52 AM
I was first impressed by the light on the wall and bed. That is what really makes the painting for me...but...the light outside the window looks too subdued for the brightness of the cast light, its not as light as the wall behind the bed. It also seem as though it should be brighter at the left outside the window than in the upper right as seen. The frame around the window does not look finished, looks like a work in progress. Well lit lace curtains (ala Wyeth) would do great things. Dont give up, I like the painting. Good luck with the pain management, wouldnt want to trade pain in the mouth for pain in the head.

Bob

Rabbit Twilight
10-21-2003, 10:08 AM
It looks really great. Your bedroom sure is neat.....makes me feel the need to go clean up. I have books, and magazines piled everywhere!
Okay, I like the painting, and could live with it as it is......but, for some reason I feel that the lights on the bed are too bright for how the window looks. Can't tell if that's a shade or what, but if it is....it seems there would be brighter light in parts like filtering through trees or such. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the shade (window) and the light from the window on the wall looks diffused, and the light on the bed doesn't.
I like the light on the bed and pillows and I wouldn't touch that, just try to figure out the window thing......if you want to. :)

Paintonbrush
10-21-2003, 11:28 AM
structure and atmosphere rock!
Big thumbs up!

giniaad
10-21-2003, 11:33 AM
at first
it looked to me that the "window" was out of frame
shining in onto the bed
and the light on our left was a reflection on that wall
of the stronger light on the bed
(even though the dimmer reflected light
would be angled and diffused at the edges)

I like the idea of it being a reflected light onto that wall

I love the simplicity of this
it is calming and beautiful
(I personally don't want curtains there)

(I hope you feel better very soon!!
though you sure do paint nicely when you are in pain :eek: )

Helen Zapata
10-21-2003, 12:22 PM
OMG, I LOVE this, Jim! The bed is GORGEOUS! The light on the pillows and blankets, the colors you chose.. I think this is your best bed yet!

I'm not sure about those tall, tall bedposts. I tend not to like them too much, but I'm iffy on it. :)

The window does seem to be the only actual "problem", if we can call it that. The painting is so beautiful that I hate to even say that.

It appears too "flat" to me. Like it needs a bit of a sill. Adding your lovely curtains would be wonderful too. I always love your Wyeth curtains.

But all in all, Jim... I LOVE THIS!! Perfect texture, perfect palette.

Helen

vrashton
10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
I really like this, I love interior scenes. I think the problem with the window is that it is too flat. No frame, it's actually a little hard to tell that it is a window. Considering you were in pain I'm surprised you managed to get anything right, let alone something this great.
Val

woodguy
10-21-2003, 06:15 PM
I have't been back to this one yet today. Will have at it a little later this evening.. But everybody hit the nail on the head. The window needs some work.

Thanks, Mark! You are right this is a little tighter than some of my recent work. As I go back into this I will be able to loosen up a bit.

Thanks, Jerry! Just about healed!

Thanks, Bob! Definately a frame and some different value plane changes around the window.

Thanks, Bobbi! I am going to change the "light" coming through the window, and leave the bed alone.

Thanks, Giniaad! I think that I am with you about the curtains. This is already pretty busy and I am afraid that as nice as they might look, they will interfere.

Thanks, Helen! Had second thoughts about the bed posts. In reality this is a canopy bed with rails around the top. But had I painted them in, the top part of the painting would have become very confusing and busy. I left the posts low, but the composition just didn't work, so back up they went.

Thanks, Val! Tonight the window gets a makeover.

Thanks again to all for looking and commenting! Jim

bocote
10-22-2003, 12:58 AM
nice painting with strong aspects. I'll agree with the window needing something to give it a more window like appearance. Colors, light, and contrast I'm very happy with. not much here to change. Perspective sensational and off a bit again; really nice.

I had a root canal done a while back and was taking normal aleve (sp?) that seemed to work well for me.

wolvenp
10-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Jim

This painting gets more interesting the more I look at it.
On the window, perhaps you could light the inside of the window frame, sill, side, and top with a value as light as the light on the back wall. The rest of the window you ll have to make up.

A minor point: the line indicating the top of the back wall; could that be softer? Just an idea. Often, when I have an idea, I dont know if it will work until I put it on the canvas.

Grasshopper
10-22-2003, 08:27 AM
The light from the window seemed insignificant to me, as far as being the source of the light on the bed & wall. I absolutely love how you painted the light on the pillows, bedding, wall, etc. At first glance your perspective seems a little off on the beside stand on the right but the more I look, the more unsure I am (could it be shading/shadow? or just me!!!). I think this is great. Ever check out John Lidzey's interiors?

pero lane
10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Love the play of light on the bed and wall...it's fabulous!!:clap: Perhaps a lace curtain on that window will really finish this one!:)

woodguy
10-22-2003, 10:12 PM
Bryan, Wolvenp, Grasshopper and Pat...Thanks you for looking and your comments. I did take a look at Lidzey's watercolors...I like!

I decided against " Wyeth's curtains" because that could have become the focal point. Another strong vertical running up and down parallel to the bed post did not seem to be a good design decision. I wanted to keep the focal point pretty much on the linens on the bed and that central part of the painting. So I did not spend too much more time on this, I just added the suggestion of something outside the window. I also changed the color of the light. I did touch a few other area, but it will probably not be evident in the digital image. For now I am happy with this finish. Time, and your comments, of couse, may change that. Thanks for looking and all the great comments and suggestions. Jim

Helen Zapata
10-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Ooooooo JIM!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love what you did with the window. This painting is so beautiful! Definitely one of my favorites of yours. Times like this I wish you could see me jumping up and down with excitement!

Helen

coulter
10-22-2003, 11:11 PM
From potential Wyethesqueness to perfect Hopper quietude.... perfect Jim.... perfect :D

Mark

woodguy
10-22-2003, 11:20 PM
WOW! Helen, with your "ooooooo's" and jumping up and down, and Mark with your "Wyethesqueness and Hopper quietude(two of my FAVORITE artists) I am absolutely delighted! So off I am to the next...fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Thanks for taking the time to look and reply. Jim

roberj
10-22-2003, 11:26 PM
I like Wyeth for delicate washes and elegant line and Hopper for drama, there are elements of both in your painting. I have to agree that Hopper seems to be prevailing. Beautiful work either way.

Bob

woodguy
10-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks, Bob, for coming back to look and your comments. I think that if I had placed a nude "Jo" sitting on the bed, looking out the window, or a reclining "Helga" on the bed I could have taken this very strongly one way or another. I prefer to suggest the presence of personages as a way of imparting a certain mysteriousness and allowing the viewer to fill in the blanks as to "who" is nearby, what has happened or what is going to happen. Thanks again, Jim

Rabies
10-23-2003, 02:08 AM
I too like the idea of curtains and think that the window should maybe be a little bit brighter. I also get the feeling that on the left side of the painting the floor beside the bed isn't laying flat and maybe a little darker wash toward the wall might make it lay down.

Otherwise , it's terrific. I really love the light and the mood -- very tranquil.

Eileen

Grasshopper
10-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Boy, I love this. I love the addition to the scene outside the window; that finished it as far as I'm concerned! I've never painted an interior scene; I just think about doing it. This really inspires me.

vrashton
10-23-2003, 02:16 PM
The window is great now. I like it without curtains.
Great work.
Val

dornberg
10-23-2003, 02:29 PM
like color handling
perhaps more colors?