PDA

View Full Version : The Snow Barn

Javier
07-06-2001, 09:14 AM
This 11" by 8" watercolor was done on Arches 300 pound paper. The original painting was done by Jack Reid and is an exercise from his book "Painting Snow and Water". I really enjoy doing winter scenes in the summer and vice verse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2001/SnowBarn.jpg

Again, I would value a critical critique of both its faults and its merits. I am learning from your comment so please keep them coming.

What I really need help with is the sky. I didn't want to use Mr. Reid's sky so I broke out on my own. I redid it (the sky) three times until I felt I had just about wore it (the paper) out. What I wanted was a cold evening (sort of stormy looking) sky to make the painting even colder. But, with some sun showing through to justify the shadows.

As Always, Thanks in Advance,

j

Gisele
07-06-2001, 09:25 AM
First I think this is a very nice watercolor. The one thing that I tend to look at is the building on the right. The sun is coming from the left, yet the back of it is lighter then the side exposed to the sun. Also, the mountain looks as if it's a cloudy day, yet it is not. I like the way you made the sky, the composition is good. Still a very nice painting. Gisele

Javier
07-06-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks Gisele, You're right on the mark with your comments. I went back to the lesson and took a look at that building on the right -- I didn't like the colors the author used and when I changed them I forgot about the shadow side of the building. Second, Mr. Reid's sky has clouds.

This again is an example of how the student is generally wrong. I love this stuff, it is so challenging.

Gisele, Thanks For the Heads Up,

j

Rosebud
07-06-2001, 10:11 AM
Javier,

I was just wondering when you would post something new !

Good Job. Nice prospective on buildings. Good shadows.

I probably would have put a little more gray/purple in the sky.

Your efforts are always a pleasure to look at. It's exciting to watch an artist grow and expand.

"We learn to paint by doing MANY paintings and watching what happens".

I'm STILL LEARNING !

Rose

T-Rex
07-06-2001, 10:33 AM
javier,

Beautifully done, your merit list is much longer than your fault list, please do the same for me!

The light in the front tells me the sun is coming thru, I love how you have captured that kind of sky where its cloudy w/ the sun bursting in spots. Please don't touch that big building, its awesome. Also, the snow drifts are captured well. Maybe the line between the mountains and sky could be lifted out a bit for distance, maybe a little more color in the upper sky? - don't know for sure, I emphasize maybe! Excellent work:clap: .....Karen

NorahT
07-06-2001, 02:11 PM
Hi Javier, I think you pretty well accomplished what you set out to do - I think it is a lovely painting. You could always put a slightly darker wash on the back of the building to the right --- and then frame the picture!!

Javier
07-06-2001, 02:36 PM
With all the encouragement and help it makes me want to paint this same scene again, but there are so many fantastic things to paint, I will probably take your help and comments and start something new.

Thanks Again For Your Help, Comments, and Encouragement,

j

Britishbrian
07-06-2001, 03:28 PM
Hi Javier,

Please take this for what you will - I think you captured the shading on the two buildings wonderfully and presume the rear building can be touched up in the same manner. But I personally think the rest of the painting looks a tad flat - I was wondering if you could take the gradation effect you applied to the buildings and repeat it in the sky - paint the sky that kind of nauseous purple/green of snow laden clouds. That way the eye will flow across the painting rather than being captured by and focused on the buildings. Just my tuppenceworth. Loved the grey snow shadows.

Cheers
Brian

Rod
07-06-2001, 05:46 PM
I like the snow and buildings, I agree that the right building needs to be in shadow. With the hills, if you ran a damp brush across just below the peak and dabbed with a tissue to lift some paint it would give the impression of mist and throw the peaks back more into the distance. At the moment the peak colouring is as strong as the foothills,
Rod.