PDA

View Full Version : pans or tubes?

rapolina
07-12-2000, 09:16 AM
As i paint just for hobby and haven't my own studio nor dedicated table (every night i have to tidy up all my painting things)and i paint small pictures, i use pans, which get very little space and time to tidy.
for the colors I use more, I find cheaper to buy tubes and fill the empty pan, letting it dry.

What about you? are there real advantage in use ones ot the others?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif ciao, rapolina.
what about you?

cagathoc
07-12-2000, 09:37 AM
I prefer tubes. The paint is moist and easy to lift with the brush. Using pans, I sometimes abuse the brush trying to get the color out.

Pans are good for outdoor work. You can fill your pans with tube paint and let them dry for field work.

For the pans, I like Yarka the best. They lift easier and have very dark, rich colors. For tubes, Holbein.

Cindy

Rod
07-13-2000, 07:46 AM
I Prefer tubes, have always used W & N .
Sqeeze the paint into pans in my palette, at each session add a bit of fresh paint onto of the existing layer,Use this method indoors or outside,
Rod

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)

ameliajordan
07-13-2000, 09:57 AM
I prefer tubes but for field sketches I use a tiny set of pans. I seem to have more control over the thinkness of the paint using fresh paint out of tubes.

Lynda Mortensen
07-13-2000, 01:49 PM
Having been a dedicated 'pan' user for the past 20 or so years (compact, portable, no mess, no sticking lids, easy to use etc....), I have at last bought some tube paints and have been using them for about the past 6 weeks or so. The result? - I like them very, very much - especially as I am working a bit bigger now and need larger pools of paint - but I still use pans for plein air work as I just can't be hassled with searching for lost caps, or finding that paint squirts out uncontrollably when the tube is opened, because it has gotten squashed in my sketching bag! Palettes filled with tube paint are a bit tricky to transport also as they need to be kept horizontal if you don't want a big mess when you open your bag, so I only use tubes for studio work. One of the main benefits of tube colours is that they can't get contaminated with other colours - you can always start with a fresh 'squirt'. They are kinder on your brushes, and easier to lift, but then I always spray my pans with water a few minutes before use to soften them, and ALWAYS use an old brush to lift the colour from pan to palette, so this isn't really a big deal for me. Best of luck!

Epicurea
07-14-2000, 01:48 AM
Tubes! I absolutely HATED watercolor until an instructor introduced me to tubes and (IMO) the greater capabilities they have (over pans). Now I love watercolor. I feel that with tubes I have better control over thickness, color intensity, and mixing... Also, there's the matter of dry brush techniques (for detailing) that I just don't feel could be pulled off as well with pans, if at all. Then again, I haven't even approached using pans since I learned how to use tubes (because I felt the advantages were so great), so I'm speaking from a kind of unbalanced level of experience, if that makes sense.

C

------------------
*Are you wishing, or being?*

*Temet nosce.*

WindDncr
07-16-2000, 09:50 AM
I definitely use pans for field work (in the summer I like painting outdoors). I have this great little field box from Winsor and Newton that I carry everywhere with me.

But, at home, I do love tubes. It takes forever to mix up a good amount of wash from those pans...even the whole pans. Unless of course you have those JUMBO Bloxx pans. Those are somethine I'd like to look into...big enough for a 2" wash brush. Now that's big http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

WindDancer