PDA

View Full Version : Confused about paper *size*

traeki
04-02-2016, 08:19 PM
Super novice question, but I'm confused...

I currently have some 12 x 16 Canson Mi-Teintes paper, and a pack of Art Spectrum Colourfix 9x12s. Both are great.

I think I would like to work on a larger surface, so I looked at sanded papers larger than 9x12. For Colourfix that's 19.5 x 27.75, and for Mi-Teintes Touch, that's 22 x 30.

My confusion is, those are ENORMOUS. I have a quite large drawing board, 20 x 26, and the Colourfix would be dangling off the sides, much less the Touch.

What am I missing, here? Do people tape these to the wall? Get Even Bigger Drawing Boards somewhere? Cut the paper before using it?

Thanks,

-John

water girl
04-02-2016, 08:31 PM
John, you can certainly cut the large sheets to your desired size. You can clip the paper to your drawing board.

allydoodle
04-03-2016, 12:30 AM
I generally buy large pieces of paper and cut them to size if necessary. I like the flexibility to choose. I always have large pieces in case I want to work large. It is more economical as well. I never discard the "scraps" of sanded paper, I always find a use for them.

DAK723
04-03-2016, 09:00 AM
When I work at an easel, I use a 20" x 30" piece of foam board to clip my full size pastel paper to. Often times I cut the paper to the size I want. It's nice to be able to cut the sheets if you want. Sometimes the full sheets work well cut either in half or into quarters.

Don

robertsloan2
04-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Usual solutions are to make a bigger drawing board with foam core or cut the big paper to half sheets. I don't usually work that large but either works well. I suppose if you were handy you could look for those drawing board clips and get one specially cut at a hardware store, sand the edges and mount the clips giving a couple of inches beyond your largest sanded paper size.

It does help to use something to put a big full sheet on an easel but it doesn't have to be fancy. You could even take several of the corrugated cardboard sheets that Blick and other places put in the paper boxes, or use the one inside the template to cut two more out of the sides of the box, laminate them together with regular glue and use that for a drawing board. Tape might rip the surface on that but push pins won't. Also tape can be put under the paper sticky side up with half exposed, then another piece over it to make an extra edge to tape or pin to the board.

Lots of ways to solve that.

Or it could be a nice one out of good plywood with a nice sanded surface. Plenty of ideas and you've got me thinking!