PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new here

CaliAnn
03-31-2016, 06:40 PM
Lurker out of hiding
Hello there. I've been lurking on this site for a few months now and decided to officially join :)

I haven't done any art for about 25 years, and in November decided it was something I wanted to do again. I had thought I'd wait until I retire, but hey - what if I never get to retire?!?!?!?

I decided on pastels as my medium to get back into things. I only ever did acrylic painting before (for about a year - self taught) and drew.

I really enjoy this site - so many talented individuals and so many willing to help, guide, teach and share.

I started with my first pastels back in Dec. and have been experimenting, reading, learning and drawing. I have many, many failures - but I keep them all, as I think I learn from them. Here are some of my better tries:

Mister Kitty (long haired)- he's 20. Nu Pastels on Uart sanded:

My beautiful Boo (grey cat) who passed suddenly last Oct :(:

My friends dogs:

Still a lot more learning to do, but having so much fun with this!

I don't see my images when previewing - hopefully they come through.

PeggyB
03-31-2016, 06:46 PM
Welcome to WC CaliAnn. I think there is a WC policy that says you have to post something a few times before you can post pictures. Our wonderful guides will most likely let you know the exact details.

I'm looking forward to seeing those paintings you've mentioned above.

CaliAnn
03-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks Peggy - I thought I did something wrong. I kept trying to re-upload...lol! Maybe there are now 100's of my pics online somewhere!

DAK723
03-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Hi CaliAnn - And welcome! I think you need two posts (which you now have) - or maybe 3 before you can post pics. It has to do with preventing automated spam, I think. So we are looking forward to seeing your work!

You might want to read over our welcome thread, here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814221

You'll note in that thread, that our forum has 2 active sub-forums, this one (Soft Pastel Talk) and Soft pastel Studio and Gallery. The Studio and Gallery sub-forum is actually the one where we post our paintings.

Don

CaliAnn
03-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry - I guess I missed about where I was supposed to post pictures! I'll do that soon

Thanks again

*Deirdre*
04-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Hi CaliAnn! Welcome to the pastel Forum...I'm pleased Don has shown you the ropes re the forum....you'll find everyone very friendly and helpful around here...many of them - like you and me, had a long time in-between starting our art and finding time to get on with it!:lol:

water girl
04-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! Yes, this is the best place to share your work. So many of our members enjoy sharing their tips and tricks. I hope to see your work over in the Gallery.

CaliAnn
04-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I love this site, especially the pastel forum - so many talented individuals and everyone willing to help, share, teach, guide... well, you get the point. I think you are all wonderful

Now I'm going to go and try and load 1 pic in the right gallery this time. I'll start with one and see how that goes :)

robertsloan2
04-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Purr! Hi, CaliAnn, give scritches to the grand old Mister Kitty and purrs from Ari (16 this month) and Kyra (6 months kitten) and all the cats here at the farm. Condolences on Boo, that's loss of a dear friend.

Welcome to the dusty side! It's great that you started with pastels! I actually learned art with pen illustration but pastels are instant gratification.

Cool starting materials. Nupastels have a good texture and lots of control, while sanded paper always makes it so much easier to paint and layer and redo. I won't bore you with a customized version of my materials mega post unless you ask. Since you lurked I can presume you've probably run into it at least once (and maybe gone to sleep in the middle, lol).

You can put up to five images in a post, five or six, I think. I usually limit it to five if I'm posting reference images or something. Looking forward to your animals portraits! So thrilled to meet another dusty cat lover!

Ari Cat sheds his infamous Cat Hairs of Inspiration in your direction, though I'm sure Mister Kitty provides a few of his own.

kedwards
04-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Welcome Ann. Many of us have a similar story regarding picking art back up after a hiatus. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

CaliAnn
04-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Thank you Robert & Kim for the warm welcome.

Robert - I am an Ari fan, she is purrfect! I have loved cats my whole life - even as a small girl, I was instantly attracted to them. To me, they are living, breathing works of art.

P.S. I lurk your website too! :)

robertsloan2
04-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Oh purr! Ari is so happy you like him! We now have a new kitten Kyra, who's a wiggle puss and very long and thin. Kind of the supermodel cat. Also the family has China Princess, my granddaughter's white and gray cat, two cats we're boarding for people who lost their housing (and rehomed several they let go of), and three very friendly barn cats. I am surrounded by friendly, happy cats everywhere I go now on the farm and it's wonderful.

They are living breathing art, dancers in their every motion, glorious paintable beauty no matter what they do. I strongly recommend sketching them from life, start with sleeping ones and build up to active gestures. It's really paid off for me in being able to capture their beauty. About time I painted cats in pastels again!

CaliAnn
04-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Robert - you are soooo lucky to be on a farm surrounded by cats! I am a crazy cat lady and if I had my way, I'd live just like that, on a farm with a bunch of cats.

I do a lot of cat sketches. Cats are so amazing - they can be so exquisite one minute and such goof balls the next!

When I was a little girl, I was always bringing home strays. The first time I skipped school was in grade one - there was this stray I used to see all the time on my way to school. I befriended him by giving him my lunch for a week straight, until he'd let me hold him. So one day, I decided I'm taking him home. We did our usual morning routine, and I scooped him up and brought him home (parents were at work), brought him to my room and stayed with him all day. I had him in there for several days before my parents found out. Didn't go to school, just pretended to and stayed with him LOL! Parents didn't let me keep him, put him out and I ran away to be with him. Parents finally had to let me keep him, cuz I kept running away to be with him. :cat:

AnnaLisa
04-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Welcome!!

You absolutely made the right decision to pick up art again as we don't know
about tomorrow!! Looking forward to see your art.

CaliAnn
04-15-2016, 05:32 PM
AnnaLisa - thank you for the welcome! I sure am enjoying any time I get to do art, it's been way, way too long and no matter what, I am never going to give it up again! :)

robertsloan2
04-16-2016, 10:58 PM
CaliAnn, that is so cool. Glad they finally gave in on your cat friend. Makes sense to me.