PDA

View Full Version : Digital Commission Work

bob63
03-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Are any of you doing commission work with your digital art? If so, how are you getting work?

The reason I ask, is, I think commissioned work is different than creating pieces and selling them on line or in galleries. These are specific pieces being sold to one person, basically.

I've started doing digital pet portraits, and am having a tough time getting commissions.

You can see my work at my site in my signature.

Thanks!

Bob

LavenderFrost
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Your site looks good and the page showing your process is a good thing to have. To me, though, it's kind of the same problem as just selling paintings. The right people have to find you. Seems to be a lot of luck, knowing the right people, and getting your work seen.

I know there are people here who have done commission work, it would be interesting to hear from them.

Elainepsq
03-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Hi Bob, love your website, and the art in your gallery. I agree with Michelle, that does take a certain knack for finding the right people. Have you tried trying to get your art where pet owners are? Maybe a sample in a vet's office, or local dog show or something?
I like your progress page, and seeing it might just save me a lot of grief. I've been wanting to do a youtube video of digital painting to educate a particular group, but the thought of recording myself is a little intimidating. Making a page on my website explaining it as you did might be a lot easier. Thank you.

bob63
03-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Elaine!

I'm in the midst of making a postcard to leave places and business cards to give to people. Hopefully that will help.

I was also wondering if people who work digitally print out there work and do vents like town days or other events. Traditional folks sometimes also do live demos (which I can't digitally and wouldn;t want that pressure anyway!).

About the progress vid. You can always just show stills of your progress and explain in a voice over what you did. Or, record you painting and do a voice over later of what you were doing.

Bob

LavenderFrost
03-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't think I could paint in front of people either. I've painted in front of a camera but I tell myself I don't have to use the video if it doesn't turn out. I've done time lapse videos but no voice. I hate to hear myself lol. But sometimes people just make videos with text for instruction.

I did step by step photos as well but I see my page isn't working. Better fix that later.