PDA

View Full Version : New to lino printing

Apodemus
03-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Hello all you printers

I'm just starting to experiment with the fascinating world of lino printing and would be grateful for any comments or pointers on my first few attempts.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Apodemus
03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Another.

Apodemus
03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
And trying a reduction print.

Apodemus
03-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Last one for now.

DougThomas
03-06-2016, 01:19 PM
I really like the first one (the landscape). Somehow they've escaped my abilities, but 11-12 color reduction prints have not. :confused:

I think you are well on your way though.

Considering how detailed the landscape is I find that the pheasant is a little lacking, but if you starting out then there is no problem with that. Trying a lot of different subject matter is never a bad thing. I just did my first landscape ever and I was not overly thrilled with it, but I'm already preparing another.

I love that you are also attempting a reduction print. I have to be honest though, I'm unsure of what the subject matter is. Part of it looks like a corral for animals to me, while another part of brain is saying it could be a large play set for children. (Or....maybe they are the same :lol: )

The little is also not bad either. I like the fact that it has the angled composition. I think that gives it a nice movement, but again...lacks the overall detail of the landscape.

Keep in mind that lack of detail on some of them is not exactly a bad thing and I'm certainly not the last word in how you are doing. I think you have a great start and wish you lots of luck in your future projects. I've only been at lino printmaking for about 2 years. I started with single color animals (black)...some worked, some really didn't. I then gave up because I wanted to print on heavy weight paper and I just couldn't get nice clean ink transfers. Wanted to learn more about printmaking and took a class that had monotype, colograph, drypoint and lino (redcution). I fell in love and wound up investing in a smallish etching press for my house and now I'm neck deep in 5 ongoing projects.

Apodemus
03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks Doug, that's very encouraging. Thanks for the welcome too.

The reduction print was based on a sketch of canal lock gates. It was meant to be somewhat more abstract than that - just shapes and angles, but I think I went too far down the representational route. More than anything, it was an experiment in the technique.

Regards

Mike

bridog
03-07-2016, 02:49 PM
welcome to the forum
thanks for sharing your work

I am partial to those prints that exert more positive and negative space interplay and don't focus too greatly on detail. You have some great examples of these with the 2 bird studies. The others I find a bit harder to read (to my eyes that is) due to a lot of textural content and density of line perhaps? Perhaps they read differently from a distance? I of course am viewing the works on a notebook monitor and they are close up viewing. I like your color choices. As Doug stated you are indeed well on your way. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Apodemus
03-08-2016, 05:08 AM
welcome to the forum
thanks for sharing your work

I am partial to those prints that exert more positive and negative space interplay and don't focus too greatly on detail. You have some great examples of these with the 2 bird studies. The others I find a bit harder to read (to my eyes that is) due to a lot of textural content and density of line perhaps? Perhaps they read differently from a distance? I of course am viewing the works on a notebook monitor and they are close up viewing. I like your color choices. As Doug stated you are indeed well on your way. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you - that is very encouraging. I come to this from a painting background and many of the choices seem the same - focus on detail or on patterns of light and shade, although the techniques and results are obviously very different. I'm looking forward to producing more prints and will certainly share them here. I see a lot of great work on this forum.

Delacroix
03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
I would try try using the different colors differently, for example on the 1st bird, try to use one color for teh sky one for the bird and another for the ground instead of stripes of colors, Great work!

Sonia
03-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Nice work. I must admit I was a bit confused about the reduction print, but now you mention lock gates it is very clear. Like you, I often print on a randomly coloured background, which I quite like. Something else I have been trying recently is printing in off-white on black paper, then using coloured pencil to enhance the image.

vmrs
04-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Looks good, I really like the varying colored ones.

Elkana
04-25-2016, 10:01 AM
What I see is that you are having great fun experimenting. You gave me some neat ideas on using colour a bit differently. Do keep having fun!