PDA

View Full Version : How much easel do your need?

Holebyen
03-04-2016, 08:53 PM
They should sell easels by the pound. Hughes 3000, 180 lbs. $2000. Best Deluxe Lobo, 35 lbs. $200. I'm a big guy. I push my old, light, display easel all over the place. How far do you need to go (how much do you have to spend) to get a sturdy, H-frame, stand or sit easel on which you can mount a 24 by 36 piece of plywood, and not worry about it folding up beneath you? That you can lean a little on.

DAK723
03-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Well, if you are mounting a 24" x 36" piece of plywood on it, then I suppose you need something quite sturdy. I use pieces of foam board (and nothing quite that large as many pastel papers max out at about 22" x 28") to clip various pastel papers to when working at an easel, so my H-frame easel does not need to be that sturdy. So I was able to get one for about $90. Similar to this one:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-studio-light-duty-h-frame-easel/

For pastels, one generally uses a light touch, so hopefully not to much leaning into the easel required!

Don

zippie
03-06-2016, 08:00 AM
I have the medium version of this one. I use it for painting oils mostly. Biggest canvas size I've used is 30x45 inches and it's okay. I've had to reinforce it in some places to keep it from wiggling, but not bad overall. I think I paid about $80 with a coupon. Cheers!