GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: study - my face in dark, no detail
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6X8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm taking a direct approach here painting with one big brush and avoiding the detail.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it work?

jerryW
10-19-2003, 04:48 PM
yup!

dornberg
10-19-2003, 08:32 PM
flat surface
with interesting shapes
and reflected light

Ginette
10-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Good one. Finished!

Ginette

designditz
10-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Works for me!! :)

mcknight
10-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks all for responding. I look at this little painting and think, "is that it? It's so empty!". At the time I posted it, I thought perhaps it did work..but now I'm doubting that. Right now it looks sloppy.

Honestly, is this truely satisfying?
I think I've got to tighten the reigns a bit but I do appreciate your encouragement.

bocote
10-20-2003, 12:26 AM
owned hard. very nice work.

didnt you say something about wanting to trade paintings? :)

*crosses fingures

Joi
10-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by mcknight
I look at this little painting and think, "is that it? It's so empty!". At the time I posted it, I thought perhaps it did work..but now I'm doubting that. Right now it looks sloppy.

I enjoy its simplicity. I don't find it empty--just free from the weight of unessisary detail.
I especially enjoy the ear and the sharp shadow on the shirt. :D

coulter
10-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Honestly, is this truely satisfying?
Oh yeah!

I think I've got to tighten the reigns a bit
Depends on what kind of artist you want to be....

Mark

pero lane
10-20-2003, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joi
[B]

I enjoy its simplicity. I don't find it empty--just free from the weight of unessisary detail.

Bingo!!:D

Rabbit Twilight
10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I think it's finished. You have great light, color, values.....it's bold and loose.

Pilan
10-20-2003, 01:02 PM
This is wonderful. Simple works meaning more detail I think would ruin the focus on the mood. More is less and it works very well.

Rieko
10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
It's working! It's enjoyable to watch the shape between the light and shadow on the left side of the face. Great ear.

Luzie
10-20-2003, 02:17 PM
I also enjoy the play between light and shadow on your self and those dabs in the mouth area!

giniaad
10-20-2003, 03:23 PM
I think...
that it is consistantly done...very nicely, too.
there are endless ways to do things
consistancey is the key to doing them well.

you are working consistantly well...
(as you have in the past)
only in a different way

that is a very good thing,
to accomplish different ways of your own expression...
and each way you work
will only improve in time
as you have already shown

the question of being happy with what you have done
is important to, though...
so, just keep going and see where you land.
(in the next works...leave this one as a book mark)
where ever it is, I am sure it will be grand
you have the talent it takes to get there.

cheers to you Dave!

Gilberte
10-20-2003, 04:25 PM
the nose and mouth are the items I've been studying in your portrait, also the light/shadow part. Very interesting self portrait !

mcknight
10-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by bocote
owned hard. very nice work.

didnt you say something about wanting to trade paintings? :)

*crosses fingures

You're joking, right?

mcknight
10-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Wow, all these responses for something I probably wouldn't have posted had my impulses been in check.

Joi - thanks! I have a hard to determining what is necessary detail and what isn't. BTW: I checked out your site - you're going to be great!

Mark - I still don't know what kind of artist I want to be. I like things about loose painting as well as tight painting. My problem with tight is it can be tedious and time consuming sometimes. My problem with loose is I go out of control way too easliy.

pero, Rabbit, pilan, Luzie & Rieko - thanks! The applause is quite unexpected!

gini - Thank you! I'm going in many directions right now. With all the chaos I'm not sure how consistent I can be. I mean, I don't think any of the stuff I've done recently has been approached the same way as any other. No landing runway in sight...

gilbert - I'm pleased that you've found something to study in this. Thanks!

TScottDove
10-21-2003, 01:30 AM
oh ye of little faith.... terrific piece. looks just like u too. really admire how u have captured so much so simply

bocote
10-21-2003, 01:46 AM
that was meant as a joke, but

markr
10-22-2003, 04:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2003/26982-6227.jpg
I fear my input is growing redundant: dis all the kudos and keep in mind what we are capable of ... this and more. Keep going Dave ... feel like you are progressing in fast forward ... nice.
Thanks,
Mark

mcknight
10-22-2003, 02:36 PM
TScottDove - Thanks for your responce. I guess I am happy with the simplexity of it. What it lacks is, for lack of a better word, craftsmanship...and I think that's a very underrated virtue these days.

Bryan - I figured that. What a theft that would have been - I was having guilt-plagued visions of a goth girl hanging from my wall.

markr - I have to admit that the kudos get addictive. I'll keep them in mind as a motivator but they won't stop me from going wherever I need to go. I'm happy to have your defiant opinion. I need a hard push or I get stuck.

katelynalain
10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
hi- i think this is great as usual..but i wonder about the harsh line and shape of the shadow and light to the right of the eye (your left)..it works well in an abstract way, but i'm not positive that it is what you are going for. i also took your suggestion and tried a similar approach to loosen up a little. i'll post it soon. great work, keep going.

mcknight
10-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by katelynalain
hi- i think this is great as usual..but i wonder about the harsh line and shape of the shadow and light to the right of the eye (your left)..it works well in an abstract way, but i'm not positive that it is what you are going for. i also took your suggestion and tried a similar approach to loosen up a little. i'll post it soon. great work, keep going.

Thanks. I'm not even sure what I was going for but thanks for bringing that up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done - can't wait to see the post!