GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP: a couple landscapes
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20 or something
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I started a couple landscapes with the hope of being more relaxed with them. The first is after 1 session, the second after 2.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm hoping to keep these quick and to avoid the stage where I start wanted to detail everything.
How far should I go with these?

pero lane
10-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Of the two I prefer the second one. Foreground is lovely...perhaps some blending/softening of the mountains?

jerryW
10-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I love how you use the rectangular surface
how your marks seem so significant
how the works are powerful
sublime.

mcknight
10-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by pero lane
Of the two I prefer the second one. Foreground is lovely...perhaps some blending/softening of the mountains?

Thanks for responding, Pero. I am a little unsure of the foreground for the second one. I did the first session without the foreground trees with the intention of beefing up the contrast and intensity in the foreground. Unlike previous landscapes, I'm not doing thin underpaintings - this is more direct, with thicker paint. So painting over the wet background to do foreground feels wrong, and probably is. I was blocking in the trees and had to stop here because I started to have doubts.

mcknight
10-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
I love how you use the rectangular surface
how your marks seem so significant
how the works are powerful
sublime.

Thanks Jerry! The marks are showing themselves more lately and colour is asking for more than tone.

bocote
10-20-2003, 12:08 AM
your question I cannot answer. the 2 works are coming along well. I anticipate good stuff.

If you find out a mathematical function to solve that answer (when to stop with the detail) let me know.

Rabbit Twilight
10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
There's really something about the first one that I like. Not sure how much more you should do though.

mcknight
10-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Bryan - I guess it's a bit of subjective question and, if you throw me into the equation, we get into uncertainty principles.

Rabbit - Thanks.