PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pie Still Life

Andrew Rance
10-19-2003, 11:09 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-19-2003/27523_ApplePieStillLife599.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Apple Pie Still Life
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from a photo of real objects in a magazine (I confess!)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything more to do?

Rieko
10-19-2003, 11:38 AM
It has an atmosphere of an old master's work.

You did a great job on rendering everything except I think (as a professionally trained pastry chef's eyes), the apple pie looks under baked! :D Maybe it's just a photo. And the pie shape around the top (right side) looks a bit square...

I really like the colors and the sense of warmth from this painting.

wolvenp
10-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Andrew,

I suggest setting up your own still life, so that you have control.

I think this picture lacks a focus. It is hard to tell what it is "about." There is a red apple in the pot on the far right that is of the same color intensity as two red apples at the lower left. If you set up your own composition, I know it will look better than what is in the photo. As it is, there are many objects that touch each other at their edges-better to have things in front of each other-at least a little bit, to create depth.

Also, I know that digital photography can change color, but as the painting appears, the pie crust has too much red in it-perhaps needs some kind of raw sienna or ochre (lightened).

Paul

pero lane
10-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Overall I think you've done a great job on this Andrew! My observations are that the lighter fruit on the viewer's far left could all use some touches of color. If they are there and just don't show up digitaly...forgive me! Also where the pie slice is missing the middle seems to come to a raised point/hill/hump. Can you see what I'm trying to say??;)

jerryW
10-19-2003, 05:12 PM
so much work must be exhausting.
it is more with more for sure.
you can try more with less and go even farther with simpler designs, but this fearless approach to complexity is very good in your body of work.

Andrew Rance
10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your comments. Yes, the colour of the pie is definitely way out, too pink - I bow to your superior technical knowledge, Rieko! I'll change this and a few other things, then put it to bed. I enjoyed doing this, for a change, but want to get back to portraits/figurative.

I loved your comment about having a fearless approach to complexity, Jerry - if only it were borne out in reality!!

pampe
10-20-2003, 10:49 PM
wow

a lot of painting!

technically wonderful

LISTEN TO JERRY......he knows

Andrew Rance
10-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Put a little burnt umber glaze over my pie crust to try and get rid og the pinkiness - hope its fully baked now....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2003/27523-ApplePieStillLife5992.jpg

xvallarta
11-20-2003, 09:03 PM
I think the pie has made a itself into a peak.......The pie slice is out of proportion and the effect it has is to show a sort of little mountain peak in the center or the pie. I know its not supposed to look like that...but it does.

myles

Andrew Rance
11-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Hello Myles - welcome to wetCanvas!

Re the peak, actually it was supposed to look like that - the pie has a little china thingummy insiude it to stop the crust sagging (don't know if you have them over there, they used to be popular here years ago).

But thanks for commenting, and I appreciate your interest.

TScottDove
11-21-2003, 02:23 PM
i agree that the composition could be stronger, but your rendering of the fruit is especially well done

Wayne Gaudon
11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
very nice .. now I have to go and eat :D

artinoils
11-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Umber helped to unify. More appetizing with fully baked crust.;)