GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 3 mangos
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 22 X 30 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I broke the rules here by having the subject centered. The mangos are sitting in water.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments welcome!

DuhVinci
10-19-2003, 12:44 AM
You broke the rules by centering the subject. But you cheated by not really centering the composition of the subject. The mangos and their reflections, united by color, take up the bottom two thirds. The two mangos on the right are united by color and overlap into one mass which extends two thirds of the way from right to left. So you did a good job of appearing to break the rules while in reality following them to perfection! Very good painting.

woodguy
10-19-2003, 01:46 AM
The far left mango....AMAZING! Excellant job with watercolor. Jim

Rieko
10-19-2003, 03:25 AM
The reflection on the water is fascinating; needless to say, the mango are well-rendered. And I don't have an impression that the the subject is centered so much because what DuhVinci said.

Clever and excellent

HRobinson
10-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey Dudley. Rules are made to be broken (except perhaps in nuclear plants, ahem). I believe a focal point would have assisted in offsetting that broken rule but nevertheless, this is a direct and impressive still life with excellance.

-Harry

pero lane
10-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Sometimes good things come from breaking rigid rules....this is a good example! I also agree with Jim - colors on the far left mango are awesome!!:clap:

YLCIA
10-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Wonderful work!!

Julia

jerryW
10-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by woodguy
The far left mango....AMAZING! Excellant job with watercolor. Jim
gotta do what you gotta do

dudley_d
10-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Thank you all.
Actually, I am unhappy with the digital rendition of this and any image I have seen in person and then in digital format. But it is the best we can do. But you have all seemed to see anough as
3 Mango's has won several awards in shows it was entered into. Including 1st place. Just wanted to know what you all thought of it, as the jurors dont really say anything other than awarding the ribbon. And to give some credibility to this forum and the kind souls that help others. You agree with some jurors at least.

cheers and thanks for the replies.

bocote
10-20-2003, 12:14 AM
this is a great painting and technically very strong. Your skills with watercolor are extreme.

Compositionally it tugs at me a bit. I'm a traditional composition guy though. new or different things dont readily appeal to me.

dudley_d
10-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bocote

Compositionally it tugs at me a bit. I'm a traditional composition guy though. new or different things dont readily appeal to me.

Thanks for the comment
Same here bocote, I did some traditional stuff on this theme after being inspired by a artist I saw at a show. I went home and did some pieces with "Big Fruit". My instructor thought I copied the artist too well so I came up with my own approach, (or at least I haven't seen this.)
I kind of favor the old fruit on the cloth sitting on a table style. I plan on making a few more of these however.

cheers