PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use this easel?

tuzigoot
02-13-2016, 04:15 PM
http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/easelsstudio-easelsumbrellas.aspx

I have just given over to the lure of pastels, put my oils and brushes away, and set out my (already growing) pile of sticks in a relatively orderly fashion. Up til now I've painted w a table easel, but need to get off my butt and move around more.
So I'm wondering if you've tried the first easel on the page linked above. Is it sturdy enough to use every day, or just for jaunts outside?

Also, do you paint at a table or standing? Somehow standing makes sense when I'm using a brush, but I'm not sure pastel work needs the type of large gestures you use when painting w brushes.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

DAK723
02-13-2016, 04:35 PM
A lot depends on how large you are working. Larger works need a larger easel and also are easier to see correctly when viewed on an easel. The paper you use also matters as flimsy papers (not boards, in other words) need to be fastening to something rigid if using an easel. So for those types of paper, a table may be preferable.

A lot is personal preference, of course. I have probably done 75% or more of my pastels on a table. One disadvantage of a table is that the loose pastel dust can build up on your paper and you need to find a way to knock it off (preferably into a garbage can). On an easel, you can tilt the easel slightly beyond straight and the excess dust will fall off the paper straight down (preferably into a catch tray).

To me, both work just fine. If I work large, though, an easel seems to have some advantages. But then you may need a larger easel!

Don

tuzigoot
02-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Don - thanks for checking in! I guess I wasn't clear; I'm using a table easel, not working flat on the table. Too long working in oils to do anything else, and I think the dust would be a real problem working flat.

RickinNM
02-13-2016, 06:01 PM
I use an table and a table easel . If you do a pastel flat just stand it up and tap bottom on the desk or over a trash can to remove excess dust, but not if painting on velour .

DAK723
02-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Don - thanks for checking in! I guess I wasn't clear; I'm using a table easel, not working flat on the table. Too long working in oils to do anything else, and I think the dust would be a real problem working flat.

Actually, you were quite clear, as you clearly wrote "table easel." I clearly couldn't read! :confused:

The usual response as to whether to work seated or standing is that when you stand, you can more easily move away from your painting to see it from a greater distance. This can be advantageous, but I must admit that I work seated when working at my table top easel or my free standing easel. Maybe in my younger days I could stand for hours on end....

Don

Equus Art
02-14-2016, 04:28 PM
I have the field easel, which I had originally purchased for plein air excursions, but I found it to be a real pain in the neck to set up in short order. I switched to a camera tripod with a quick release gadget for my Heilman easel attachment. Now my plein air set up takes next to no time to set up.

I do use the field easel as my regular easel in the studio now and find it functions way better being left permanently set up. I have my Dakota Traveler box set up on the supports and it has been great.

Cat

lindasarto
02-14-2016, 07:01 PM
I have the earlier version of this easel and this does not look that much different. Although it is important to have a tall easel that you can stand or sit at I will tell you that this easel is very complicated to open up and put together and just as confusing to close back up. For home use it would be a lot easier to just buy a sturdy easel at Hobby Lobby or Dick Blicks. It is important to be able to stand as they really encourage you to keep stepping back to look at your work as it looks much different a few feet back the. When working right in front of it. Hope this helps...

mudfish
02-14-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm with the tripod crowd. Extremely light weight & easy set up. Add an Easel Butler to hold your box if you like, and I have the Guerilla painter mast attachment to hold my board. I have a Featherlight Pro easel which is good except you need to glue or put a screw thru the top mount, it falls off. Other than that its a 5 second set up. Get it on sale for $35.

westcoast_Mike
02-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Yes, I have worked at a table standing. I have the Heilman box with the easel attachment. I've been in studios and workshops where it was arraigned with tables and setting up my tripod was not practical. Standing, with the mast raided is how I work in this situation. I never paint sitting.

spydersmomtammy
02-15-2016, 11:37 AM
In my studio I use an H-frame easel, and en plein air I use a camera tripod with quick attachment for the easel that holds a tray and pastel box my husband made for me. I always stand to paint - makes it much easier to step back from the painting frequently to evaluate (plus since my day job requires sitting pretty much all day, I enjoy standing to paint and I feel less restricted that way, even though I do paint rather small). For both easels, since I frequently paint on un-mounted paper, I use a backboard to support the paper.

I do also have a table easel for workshops and other situations where a standing easel is not practical though, which can come in very handy at times. ;-)

allydoodle
02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
I have 2 of these easels. My students use them during class in my studio. I find they work great. The plus is if you need to fold them up they take up little space. As for figuring it out, the more you use it the easier it becomes. For me it's a breeze, easy peasy.

If you want to leave your easel up in your studio, I would recommend an H -frame easel.

tuzigoot
02-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Thank you, all, for your input on this. I need to think about this, and maybe see some of these set-ups in action. I'm wondering if I they'll be at the product fair at the PE expo down in Tucson. And if I could get into it w/o paying to attend the rest of the party.... I guess I need to contact them.

Again - thanks!