PDA

View Full Version : Shop bought art journal vs making your own?

Nerys51
02-13-2016, 07:44 AM
I have a very simple shop bought art journal which I got at a book fair long ago. I have been looking at what is sold as art journals in online shops

.:confused: Which got me thinking to perhaps try and make my own with use of hobby shop bookrings and different types of A5 papers. Did anyone do this also? Which size bookrings did you use? And I am looking for a source for colored bookrings instead of plain silver color?:)

DrDebby
02-13-2016, 04:18 PM
To start with, by making your own journal you will get exactly the size and type of paper you want to work on.

Next, I have never seen book rings in anything other than silver.

You could use a standard binder if you are looking at book rings as the binding for a journal. You could also look at the midori style planner/journals where you slide the folded paper under elastic straps to keep it in place. And, you could look at book binding techniques and sew a journal together. There are YouTube videos on how to do that.

I personally use either S&B (Stillman and Birns) sketchbooks or bind my own.

vhere
02-14-2016, 06:16 AM
On the whole I'd rather spend the time painting :)

I did like the concertina fold books I made with paper hinges on the back, rather like the moleskine ones but a lot bigger.

I just have quite a few sketchbooks on the go at the same time so that I can select size, paper, weight, colour, what medium works with it etc.

You can also get a photocopy shop to ring bind your pages for you, which would look better?