PDA

View Full Version : Why is thicker drawingpaper in art journals always beige?

Minerva C
01-30-2016, 06:28 PM
It is very difficult to find suitable art journals with thick white paper. It is usually beige. Does anyone know why? I really dislike beige paper. The only art journal I have found that has whiter paper is Fabriano Venezia. It is not pure white though.

BeeG
01-30-2016, 09:18 PM
If you are looking for thicker paper (heavier weight), look for journals that are identified as useable for watercolors, as they have to stand up to water washes. Several excellent journals are available with white paper, in both smoother and textured surfaces.

Not sure what you can get in your country, of course, but many of these should be available.

Stillman & Birn is often considered 'The Gold Standard' in journals. I like their products a lot, and they lie flat if you want to work across two pages. They offer both white and ivory colors.

Check the weight of paper of any book you order; 150 GSM is a good minimum. There is a helpful chart here: http://www.stillmanandbirn.com/paper.html

Moleskine makes a watercolor journal in their 'Art Plus' series. Others I have come across are Pentalic and Hand.book, who has a watercolor Travelogue series (gray tweed-like covers).

Also check out Parkablogs.com, who has incredibly good reviews of most major journals.

Good luck!

Yorky
01-31-2016, 03:09 AM
The paper is probably made of wood pulp with little bleaching or whiteners.

Doug

Minerva C
01-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Thank you for your answers.
I have journals from Moleskine, Daler Rowney, Ami and Hahnemuhle with thick paper. All beige.
I also have spiral bound journals and pads with thinner paper and these have white paper.
All pads I have found with thick paper are beige.
Perhaps it is just what can be found in my corner of the world and not representative for the rest of the world.
I have read much about Stillman & Birn on Wet Canvas but they are unfortunately not available here.

DrDebby
01-31-2016, 02:36 PM
Have you considered making your own journals with paper you like? One option is to get a "Midori" style cover and cut paper that folded in half will fit. Then you just slide your paper under the stretch bands to hold it in book form. No sewing or book binding involved. Tho' making books can be fun too.

Minerva C
01-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Sorry, but thick paper is still beige :( Unless it is extremely smooth.
It is a good idea though :)
It is a small market here compared to US. We do not have much to choose from.

robertsloan2
01-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Moleskine drawing journals have beige, I got annoyed with that too. But the watercolor ones are white and just as heavy if not a little heavier. Stillman & Birn even has heavy, smooth hot press white paper in the Epsilon journals, lovely for pen and ink stuff.

I don't know why the beige paper is so popular for it. Totally beats me, I prefer white or an outright mid value color so that I can work both light and dark on it. But then I really got into the S&B ones so stopped worrying about it. Strathmore Mix Media is 100lb white paper sized for watercolor and quite nice, but it's got a paper cover on the journal.

BeeG
02-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Can you order from the UK? I know that you can get several of the watercolor journal products I mentioned there -- Jacksons or other sources. And white watercolor paper should also be easily available in Britain, so you could make you own journal, as suggested.

And have you looked at both Etsy and eBay? I realize shipping can be prohibitive, sometimes, but I certainly have ordered things many times from Europe, so perhaps you can find a deal to ship to you in Sweden?

Minerva C
02-01-2016, 01:05 PM
I do not pay over tha web, which makes it difficult to order internationally. I think I will use Venezia and Moleskine watercolour book till some store start selling other journals with white paper.

Saint Ragdoll
03-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Minerva, have you thought about doing a trade? You could offer to buy and post something from your part of the world , it doesn't have to be limited to just art supplies, maybe chocolate?, and in return someone in the US or UK will buy and post a couple of journals with thick white paper to you.

I have done this ort of thing before and it's is really fun.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Jazzylady216
03-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Hmm, I am from Germany and you get thick paper in beige or white without problem. So maybe it is in your corner or where you buy, that they have not a big choice. Have you looked in big art supply shops?

Minerva C
03-16-2016, 06:09 PM
There are not any really big art shops here, but I have been in the bigger shops and they also have webshops. No luck. I recently ordered a small block of hot pressed Arches watercolour paper instead. Not pure white, but at least not as beige as the sketchbooks I have. I also ordered a Fabriano spiral bound watercolour book. Have not tried them yet.
I saw an interesting watercolour book at Boesner webshop. Unfortunately orders are deliverad at ones doorstep at daytime which is difficult. I have ordered from them once before.