PDA

View Full Version : Deb Hill's Tree Journal

Deborah Susan Hill
01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
This is my first page as well as my first post here of my recently completed hand made watercolor journal. I posted pics of two journals that I have made over the past week, The journal I am working in currently is a 9x6 hand made hardbound embossed chocolate brown lambskin leather watercolor journal with 64 pages of Arches 140 lb. 300gsm 50% rough and 50% cold pressed paper. The first entry is of the winter woods off of my deck on my small farmstead of 32 acres. I will use this journal to draw and sketch views of the landscape and wildlife and domestic animals on my property. This first sketch is drawn with a sharpie fine point permanent marker and Holbein Watercolor wash on Arches Rough paper.

Deborah Susan Hill
01-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Here's the cover of the journal..

DrDebby
01-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Lovely trees. Looking forward to seeing your world.

Blooming
01-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Nicely done! It feels cold.

JTMB
01-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Very nice! Sounds like a wonderful house and spread for a journaling artist!

vhere
01-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Nice project

Deborah Susan Hill
01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Morning visitors. These white tailed does come right up to the house to browse on the wild,raspberry brambles during the winter. They were around 20 feet from my deck on the back of my house! Drawing is Sharpie fine point black permanent marker painted with holbein watercolor paint. The paper is cold pressed 140 lb arches.

DrDebby
01-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Sweet faces on the deer. :)

Deborah Susan Hill
01-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Here's the third page. I was looking through photos on my Ipad that i took of other deck visitors last fall and came across this opossum that comes around to eat catfood with the cats. It is about half grown and gets along with the cats and coons that are regulars at the kitty buffet.. I always put out enough for all the barn cats and while we tried not to attract the local wildlife when we realized we were attracting them by feeding in the early evening by switching to feeding during the day, the Coons figured out the day schedule and started showing up at feeding time at noon and four... the possum also went diurnal and now I have daytime visitors who bring their kits to bathe and drink from the kiddie pool I set on the deck as a water source for the cats. The cats have to eat sometime and the possum and coons get fed right along with them. There is no stopping them.

DrDebby
01-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Great story. The possum is darling in the sketch.

Deborah Susan Hill
01-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Here's page 4 of the tree journal. cardinal and chickadee on the seed bell at dawn. Holbein Watercolor paint and sharpie fine point marker. 12-31-2016

DrDebby
01-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Very wintery sketch with the icicles and bare trees. Lovely.

robertsloan2
01-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Wow! All of these pages are so gorgeous. Beautiful journal, love the cover design and texture. This whole thing is a complete work of art, when you finish it will be amazing. Like your style of pen and watercolor, interesting variations and wet in wet effects in backgrounds, rich natural colors, very harmonious colors whether warm or cool, muted or bright. Fantastic rendering, the deer are so natural and the icicles on the cardinal painting are chilly! Just spectacular works. So cool.

Deborah Susan Hill
01-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks Robert! I appreciate the compliments. I like your work as well. We all have our own feel and approach to the various media we use to express ourselves in our artwork. As another disabled artist I find myself working through my pain some days as my Osteo arthritis is bone on bone grinding at this point and has been for the past ten years or so. It's virtually all over my skeletal system. My artwork is my avocation and it keeps my mind off of the arthritis to a point.. I also likely have some Fibro kicking as well, as the skin and muscle pain in my shoulders and arms some days is like being drawn and quartered. But that's what strong medication is for, eh? I owe my arthritis pain to a host of injuries suffered playing with horses and skiing as well as several bad traffic accidents that were the fault pretty much entirely of the other parties involved when I was driving transit buses professionally.. When your vehicle gets rear ended by a tailgating truck it is their fault... I Studied art at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and hung it up and drove bus for nearly 15 years after I graduated. In a way, the disabling arthritis and injuries are what freed me up to be able to do my artwork once again as I was not much able to do so while I was "gainfully" employed.. A bout of stage three, early stage four breast cancer sidelined me from the work force around 15 years ago and I never returned to commercial driving. Life is too short to do something you really don't want to be doing in the first place. I live in Southwest Wisconsin with my horses and cats and my long-suffering husband of 30 years as this point. In any case, disabled folks who manage to get out of bed and do artwork are a special breed.. it takes a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to do so on some days as you likely well know.. Keep at it, and keep the faith!

Lucylove
01-31-2016, 10:32 PM
Beautiful entries. I need to work on my saturation.

vhere
02-01-2016, 04:04 AM
What fabulous wildlife you have :). This book is looking lovely. I too have very painful OA :(

JTMB
02-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Great journal pages, Deb! I'm jealous of your wildlife entertainment! I'm a bird nerd and have hung one tube and two suet feeders out that I manage to keep marauding squirrels and other rodents away from. Since many bird species are completely or primarily ground feeders, I spread seed on the ground each day - only enough that the resident birds can eat before dark so that the chance of evening critters is lower. The birds expect me every morning. When I open the back door with seed in hand, the twittering starts in the bushes (with hardly any bird visible) and once I'm about halfway back to the door after spreading the seed, the regular visitors arrive. It's quite the show. We also have a small recirculating stream that is a bird magnet for their baths in the warmer months (even sometimes this time of year). I'm looking forward to more of your journal.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Deborah, your journal is beautiful on the outside and the inside. I love the page of the deer and the one of the oppossum is so cute. What a great idea to fill the book with sketches of the local wildlife and plants. I'm glad to hear you don't let your disabilities stop you from doing what you love. Art tends to put us in "a zone" and that helps somewhat to take us away from problems.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Thank you all so very much for your lovely compliments and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I have only gone back to doing artwork over the last year or so after taking a long hiatus from it for a job and family life. I try to paint or draw something every day. Resting is rusting.. Here's today's entry to the journal. A simple still life. Granny Smith apples are my favorite apple. They are always nice and crisp and tart. They bake up well in a pie and they are my favorite eating apple as is, fresh off the tree! Many thanks to the folks from "Down Under" who developed this amazingly versatile and tasty cultivar from common apple stock! I eat these for lunch sometimes with peanut butter spread on the apple slices. They are the best. The paint is Daniel Smith Extra fine genuine gemstone and iridescent watercolor paint and Sharpie fine point permanent marker. As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Yummy apples.

Lucylove
02-02-2016, 06:43 PM
What luscious colors! Granny Smith are my old favorite, until I discovered Honeycrisp. Same crunch, tart but also a little sweet and really fine skin (the leatheryness of some apples is no fun). They are only around in winter, so I buy them up when the cold starts to wane so I can enjoy them as long as possible.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-03-2016, 10:18 PM
My pretty Princess! She is my constant companion and food taster par excellence. She follows me about the house and supervises my artwork in progress. She grumbles and complains about other cats being allowed in during inclement weather, but likes the company of a few of them. She knows she is royalty and she tells the cats that she despises, that they sit below salt, in no uncertain terms! Daniel Smith watercolor paint.

KiwiKate
02-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Aw -- she's beautiful! Love the bright background.

laudesan
02-04-2016, 07:40 AM
What wonderful work. Can't wait to see more!

DrDebby
02-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Super painting of your feline companion. She is beautiful. There is a reason female cats are called "queens". :cat:

robertsloan2
02-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Princess is so beautiful! She has that same regal chin as my Ari does, looks so elegant and powerful. A strong personality. Even her stance says "I am the ruling matriarch here." Beautiful blue eyes, so vivid. Love your Granny Smith apples too. I like them when I can manage to eat apples at all and what you've done with these luscious watercolors is glorious. Love the intensity!

I have some of he Primatek and Luminescent colors too, they are so much fun and so strong!

Joan T
02-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Love the still life of the granny smith apples...excellent shine on the skins. Princess is so pretty! I love the warm reds around her that set her off so well.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-06-2016, 03:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2016/1972519-image.jpg

This is Tortie, one of the barn cats, but when the weather gets cold, like it was last night and today, she gets to come inside to sleep next to the wood stove..

DrDebby
02-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Sweet cat.

JTMB
02-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Nice work on the still life - and your barn kitty is one lucky feline getting to stay in the house on cold nights!

hobbyartist87
02-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Great sketches, Deb. The apples turned out nice and I have to echo everyone in saying that Princess is so cute. Your physical issues make it all the more impressive. Keep going.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-08-2016, 03:36 PM
This is Ragmop. She is sweet and a real cuddler. Her favorite place in the house is on my pillow in bed, right next to my head. Her loud purring sometimes keeps me awake when I'd rather be snoring!:cat:

Joan T
02-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Both cats are great!!! I love these.

vhere
02-09-2016, 04:20 AM
A lovely book developing :). I have OA as well :(

Deborah Susan Hill
02-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Ouch. It is one of the hazards of aging. With
arthritis cold temps and weather changes are the enemy. I stiffen up like a board in the cold...

Deborah Susan Hill
02-09-2016, 01:45 PM
This morning's visitors. The dawn patrol provides the entertainment while I have my coffee. They were all over the woods today and the entire herd was there yarded up. I counted 10, my deer herd only numbers 7 so we had a few extras. These two yearlings always jump into the side yard to browse and watch the human in her wood and glass enclosure stare at them and scribble in her book. They are a constant source of entertainment for me and that is why my property is posted no hunting, no trespassing.. I dread hunting season, but my herd and usually another 10 or 15 extra deer hide out in my woods as if they know that this is a sanctuary and the only one in five miles. The surrounding area gets a lot of hunting pressure, but not my place. Not while I draw breath..

DrDebby
02-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Sweet cat. The deer are delightful.

Saint Ragdoll
02-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Deborah Susan Hill,
Your medical condition sounds like mine. I have Osteo arthritis,in probably every part of my body, but my back is especially painful. And I had a series of accidents, car accidents, horse riding accidents, falling down the stairs a few times, and so on, all untreated because I was too poor to go to a doctor.
I have been in treatment for it for 16 years now and thank God for strong medication!
My art takes my mind off my medical problems.I draw and paint in Watercolors mostly. But I haven't been able to keep a journal going. I start off with good intentions, do a few pages of art and writing, then just stop.
I am going to try to start going to the local coffee shop in a bookstore as often as I can and do some sketching. I have done that a few times and it is wonderful, getting out of the house helps so much. It's an exellent excuse to indulge in my favorite coffee drink!
I love surfing around Wet Canvas ( altho I am mostly in the Watercolors forums) and seeing all the amazing art. It never fails to inspire me!!

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Deborah Susan Hill
02-09-2016, 08:57 PM
St. Ragdoll, Theresa, we are kindred spirits caught in bodies that conspire to do us in.. Everybody who lives with chronic pain knows that the strong medicine is necessary to live a happy, productive life. I hate to see the recent turn of the war on drugs against doctors who practice pain remediation for people in chronic unrelenting pain. Without my opiates, i would be unable to sit, or stand or even do the dishes in the kitchen sink. Anybody who is young and healthy has no right to judge...

KiwiKate
02-10-2016, 01:09 AM
Your stories and paintings are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Here's the most recent entry into my journal and will also appear in the Wildlife Challenge this month as the reference photo was taken from the february challenge. Sandhill cranes are some of the regulars here during the summer months. They are some of the great Migration that flies along the Mississippi river flyway. I live in the Pecatonica river valley a scant 40 miles or so from the Mississippi river. I wait in anticipation of the great spring migration and the return of the hummingbirds. It really isn't spring until the indigo buntings and scarlet tanagers and various brightly colored warblers make their appearances at my feeding stations. The orioles love halved oranges and tangerines
which are placed on spikes high above cat predation... I long to hear the calling of the blue herons and cranes as they transect the skies in V formations. Their calls likely reminiscent of their ancestors the pterodactyls. As always, Deb Hill. Cabin fever has set in as the temps plummet below 0 for the next few days..

Deborah Susan Hill
02-11-2016, 10:56 PM
I took artistic license and changed the composition and colors of the birds and background. It turned our ok as far as I'm concerned.

Yorky
02-12-2016, 01:07 AM
A beatiful page Deb.

Doug

vhere
02-12-2016, 04:33 AM
what lovely wildlife you have, this will be a gorgeous book :)

Deborah Susan Hill
02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I really love using Daniel smith genuine gemstone sourced watercolor paints for some subjects. They shimmer and impart a wonderful translucent gem like quality to the support they are applied to. In this case the support was Arches rough 140 lb. You can really tell the difference between the rough and Cold pressed papers in terms of the way the light refracts over their surfaces. I've found that the most important element in my painting is the quality of the paper. It actually helps you do your work if things go right.

I prefer to use sable brushes for my paintings as they carry more water and pigment per stroke than the synthetics, however the synthetic brushes have gotten much better over the years and brushes,like the Cotman line and sceptre gold by Winsor and Newton as well as some of the Grumbacher golden edge are getting pretty near the real thing. The sceptre brushes are a combination of sable and taklon and they tend to perform nearly as well as some of my sables though they seem a bit stiffer.. I have several Winsor series seven brushes that I inherited from my mother when she passed that are still going strong nearly fifty years from the date she purchased them. They are as resilient as the day she purchased them and have not seen as much use over the years as they would have in the hand of someone who paints every day. I have a set of synth brushes that I use on my larger paintings for roughing things in or if I need to scumble an area, I use them as I don't want to abuse the Winsors in that manner. But for detail work and laying down washes The series seven Winsors come out to play.. And that is what they do best.

That said, in regard to paint, I tend to gravitate to the Daniel Smith paints as they are highly pigmented but I also have several sets of other high end watercolors and use holbein, Sennelier, Old holland for some of the earth tones and of course Winsor and Newton. There are a few art spectrum colors in the mix occasionally as well. But an artist can paint with pretty much anything at hand to work up a painting. I have found my job is easier though when I'm not fighting the materials. The paper for that reason is the most important element as far as I'm concerned as it can make your job much easier If it is high quality 100% rag that is made specifically as a support for watercolor. It will also make that work of art once complete have a longer lifespan It goes without saying that it should be acid free archival paper for my purposes. I want my journal to be around for a long duration so I made it with archival materials and glues that will withstand the test of time. Hopefully the book will be handed down from one generation to the next.

Today I am waiting for the mail man to bring me a shipment of brushes that i purchased on Ebay. They are Isabey Stradivarius kolinsky sables that are new old stock, number 10 and 12 brushes and they are still in their original black gift boxes.. While I'm tempted to just frame them and hang them on the wall, I will be painting with them as soon as they arrive, to test drive them over some paper and see how they compare to the series seven Winsors I have. The Isabeys came to me for a tenth of what they would have cost at a brick and mortar place here in the states. I paid a scant fifty dollars for the pair of them which I see as a long term investment as I wash and dry my brushes flat after every use and they will likely get handed down to my niece unless one of my grandchildren gets bitten by the art bug and decides they want of get serious about art.. But enough of this prattle. I need to get out of bed and have my coffee with the dawn patrol..:wave:

Minerva C
02-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Lovely paintings! You use the colours beautifully.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-13-2016, 04:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2016/1972519-image.jpg

This is Blueberry, one of our outdoor cats who lives indoors during the winter mostly. She has a bad temper and a day doesn't go by when she isn't spoiling for a fight with black and white cats. She hates black and white cats and our Tuxedo cat Teeny Mitch is usually the object of her ire. The other two black and white cats she likes to thrash on are Meeps and Patchy. Both of those are patchwork black and white in terms of their color. Their caterwauling sets my teeth on edge and they have been a source of irritation since the weather turned too cold to toss them all outside for fighting. It usually starts with blueberry giving Mitch the hairy eyeball, and then they start using some very uncomplimentary language casting aspersions on each other's parentage.. it goes downhill from there and usually starts in a spitting flurry of howling a nd growling and ends in a knock down drag out catfight! I at the same time grab a broom and wade in to break it up roundly cussing the lot of them! Blueberry is always the instigator! She is a lynx point siamese and I think she has shown that there is racism amongst cats sometimes. She only picks on the black and white cats, but with eight cats currently residing indoors due to the temperature dropping below zero degrees Fahrenheit for the past two weeks. I can't bring myself to kick them outside to freeze their ears off. Frostbite is a very real danger for outdoor cats in this northern climate. So hopefully this coming week the weather will break and I can chuck the lot of them back outside, with the exception of Princess, Meeps and Lummox (my Maine Coon Cat). Those three are my housecats though most of them are indoor outdoor cats during the more clement weather. I never let Princess or Lummox out as they have never been outside and would likely get lost or run over by a car or piece of farm equipment.
In any case it is supposed to thaw out by next friday with temps above freezing and I can stop refereeing cat fights! This entry to my journal was painted with Holbein watercolor paint and the pen work done with a Sharpie ultra fine point permanent marker, from a photo taken last fall of Blueberry happily sitting on the deck all by herself(the way she prefers to be.) I think she is getting cabin fever too. As always, Deb Hill

Joan T
02-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Great sketch of Blueberry! Hopefully they can get outside soon.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-13-2016, 06:36 PM
It's supposed to get up above 40 degrees this coming Friday, so that's good enough for me. I don't like to see cats with chunks of their ears frozen off, so they get to come in when the temps plummet like this.

KiwiKate
02-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Love your painting and the story!

Deborah Susan Hill
02-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Chickadees and a titmouse on the suet net feeder hung fom the eaves by a wire coat hanger. It snowed today and they are in a feeding frenzy. The beef tallow is a high energy feed for them, and it has small bits of meat in it as well because I rendered the tallow and pan drippings from the prime rib we had for Xmas and New Years dinners. I had frozen all the fat for the express purpose of making suet feeders and the netting I hang them in is simply a repurposed fruit bag that the tangerines were in. Nothing gets wasted here! As always, Deb Hill.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-15-2016, 04:15 PM
This little landscape with a Great Blue Heron was done from a photo taken last fall at Horseshoe Lake a scant 1/16 of a mile down the hill from my house. Throughout spring, summer and fall the lake is a haven for waterfowl and wading birds like herons, egrets and sandhill cranes. We also get cormorants, loons, canvasback ducks, coots, mallards, pintail ducks, Giant Canada Geese, trumpeter swans and whatever else decides to settle on horseshoe lake and the other ox bow lake Bloody Lake which lies between horseshoe lake a the east branch of the Pecatonica River. The lakes are also home to muskrat, otters, raccoons as well as hunting and fishing ground for Bald and Golden Eagles, yes, we have both Eagle species here in Wisconsin, and I have seen both right down the road in the park.. We also have redtail hawks, Kestrels, great grey owls, great horned owls and screech owls all living and breeding right in this area. I live in one of the least populated counties of the state and this is why wildlife flourishes here. It is my own private Eden and the economy here is depressed so it is likely to stay that way! Thank goodness for that! In any case, the heron fish in the lakes, sloughs and the rivers and streams as do the eagles and other water birds and animals.. As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
02-15-2016, 04:20 PM
How wonderful to have all that wildlife around you for painting. Hope the temps warm up so you can let the kitties outside again. Delightful paintings.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Thank your for the compliments. C&C is always welcomed and appreciated..

Deborah Susan Hill
02-15-2016, 06:34 PM
It will get well above freezing this Friday. They can mostly go back out during the day already. It is sub zero weather that puts their ears in danger of severe frostbite. This is something I try to help them avoid, hence they come in when the temps drop too low.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Maab, Queen of the Faerie kingdom.. This was one of my horses that I pulled from a bad situation. She was an old style heavy draft Percheron Mare. She wasn't as tall as those that are in fashion for hitches and seen in the show rings at state fairs in the USA. She was more of a heavy utility bred mare that could pull a tree stump out of the ground and she was bred by the Amish in Indiana for farm work. When I got her as a three year old she was ribby and worm infested with a bad case of lice. She didn't stay that way long as I took care of the parasites and put her on a diet of high quality hay, oats and a supplement that included rice bran to help get her back up to a decent weight. she lived out her life with me and the rest of my herd and gave me two wonderful half Arab foals. She never got much over 15 hands tall, but she was stout and pretty, and as friendly as I could hope from a horse who had a rough start. Sadly I Lost her to a foal distocia. Neither mare nor foal survived. I miss that mare but still have her half arab son.. He is a stunning dark dappled charcoal grey and is greying out slowly like his sire did..

KiwiKate
02-19-2016, 12:12 AM
I do love your stories. Thanks for sharing your life and your paintings with us!

DrDebby
02-19-2016, 03:50 PM
She does look like a queen. Sorry you lost her.

Joan T
02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
You have access to such wonderful wildlife. These sketches are great!

hobbyartist87
02-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Gorgeous wildlife sketches, Deb. The deer look cute and are similar to the ones we see here in Central California sometimes.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Gorgeous wildlife sketches, Deb. The deer look cute and are similar to the ones we see here in Central California sometimes.

Sandra, I think that the species of deer you are likely seeing are either blacktail or mule deer as the northern whitetailed deer that we have here in Wisconsin don't compete as well for range/ territory as the two species I mentioned that are more commonly seen in your state. I drove up the coast road between LosAngeles and SanFrancisco when I was in my early 20's and it was one of the most beautiful and scary stretches of road I have ever traveled! I dreaded having deer jump out in front of the van while we were on that road where the edges dropped away in hundred foot cliffs in some areas.. I saw many deer in the Big Sur area near Monterey.. It was an exciting drive. Maybe some day I'll get back out that way again! sincerely yours, Deb Hill.

JTMB
02-25-2016, 11:44 PM
Being a bird nerd, I really love to see bird sketches, and yours are really well done. Sandhill Cranes are such impressive birds, but everything - including the usual suspect chickadees and titmouse - is fun to draw.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Raccoon tree. The Raccoons are here on a daily basis. They live on my property, some of them live right underneath my house. They eat with my barn cats and bathe in the kiddie pool that I leave on my back deck as a water source for my barn cats and geese and my pet peacock, Big Bird. Big Bird is very cautious about the Raccoons and the Opossum that eat and drink here during the day with the cat colony. He knows that they would eat him right along with the cat food if he gave them the chance. So he waits until they are done eating before he eats. If a Raccoon or Opossum approaches he rockets up onto the roof of the house and watches until they leave.. That said, the coons are fun to watch, and they bring their kits to the deck every season when they are old enough to leave the den and eat solid food..

Minerva C
02-27-2016, 02:40 PM
So cute! How fun to have so many animals around.

KiwiKate
02-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Oh, he is beautiful! Love your story and the vibrant sky!

DrDebby
02-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Little bandit in the tree. Good job.

hobbyartist87
02-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Deb, good job on the raccoon. You are right about the deer, I think as we have what I think are mule deer.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-27-2016, 10:32 PM
mule deer look similar to Virginia white tailed deer except for the way their antlers on the bucks are shaped and their overall size. Mule deer are larger than white tails, but I'd be willing to bet their hides feel pretty similar,and their meat tastes the same..

laudesan
02-28-2016, 12:19 AM
I love raccoons. What a sweet drawing!!

Deborah Susan Hill
02-29-2016, 04:18 AM
Today's tree journal entry, Summer Pool Party, mama takes her kits to the pool.
Arches rough 140lb. Daniel Smith Watercolor Paint and Sharpie permanent ultra fine point marker.

During the cold season the mother coons are denned up for the winter. Some of the older kits from last season have been coming to the deck during the day to eat cat food with the kitties. The pool parties generally start around May or June when the new kits are old enough to leave the den and follow their mother to forage for food.

This time of year, the pickings are pretty lean as the insect population isn't hatched out and active yet and critters like frogs and snakes are hibernating. Right now the female coons would be nursing this year's litter of kits and this is self evident as the mother coon chases last season's kits out of her den to forage on their own.

The female kits are known to stay with the mother for 9 to 12 months. The males leave home at between 6 and 8 months when they hit puberty. When their mama is ready to have the new litter she kicks last year's litter out of her den to fend for themselves. I used one of last year's pool party photos as a reference for this page of my journal. As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
02-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Fun pool party sketch.

White Pen
02-29-2016, 03:47 PM
[email protected]

Nice ink pen - pool fun :thumbsup:

Great sketch.

Cheers W.P. a place with no raccoons..:wink2:

Deborah Susan Hill
02-29-2016, 05:03 PM
[email protected]

Nice ink pen - pool fun :thumbsup:

Great sketch.

Cheers W.P. a place with no raccoons..:wink2:

What? No Raccoons? How can this be? I know that they have a real raccoon problem in Germany and across much of Europe and Russia. In fact, anywhere they were imported by the fur and pet trade and have escaped they have pretty much made themselves at home, much to the chagrin of the people who don't want their homes invaded, their roofs torn up and their garbage cans rifled through and dumped! Raccoons are omnivores and highly adaptable to virtually all environments they have been introduced to whether on purpose or inadvertently.

People imported the young kits as pets, but found that they were not manageable, with very few exceptions once they passed sexual maturity. Most of them wound up getting turned loose, or escaping from their homes, as they are very clever at working latches with their nimble paws. They may not have opposable thumbs, but their long fingers and sharp teeth and claws made them experts at breaking out of enclosures, or into houses and sheds where they weren't necessarily wanted, nor appreciated.

They can be quite vicious and dangerous if they are cornered. Raccoons are highly intelligent, and have about the same level of intelligence as our nearest relatives among the great apes, the Chimpanzees and Bonobos.. They will likely be around long after our species has gone extinct.. I have to respect them for all of their wonderful adaptive traits, intelligence and their ability to live in a wide variety of climates and environments.

vhere
03-01-2016, 06:44 AM
such interesting wildlife you have - living in the city it's feral cats, blackbirds, sparrows and magpies mostly where I live, with a rare city fox sighting. We used to have a family of hedgehogs who would walk over our feet if we sat still enough but sadly I think they lost their lives to traffic.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-01-2016, 09:10 AM
such interesting wildlife you have - living in the city it's feral cats, blackbirds, sparrows and magpies mostly where I live, with a rare city fox sighting. We used to have a family of hedgehogs who would walk over our feet if we sat still enough but sadly I think they lost their lives to traffic.
I am sorry to hear about the poor hedgie family. Animals and traffic don't play well together. My Daughter in law has an African hedgie. They don't get as large as European Hedge hogs.

KiwiKate
03-01-2016, 12:51 PM
I love hedgehogs! I grew up in New Zealand and they were everywhere. Sadly, we don't have them here in the US desert.

DrDebby
03-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Cute hedgehog.

Vivien Maloney
03-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Beautiful sketches Deborah! Love the Raccoon and her babies!

We don't see so many Hedgehogs in New Zealand now - sad!. We live on a farm in the country and 20 years ago there would always be little Hedgehogs sniffing around in the morning, but now hardly ever. I think the traffic has done for most of them now, but we still see one every so often.

JTMB
03-01-2016, 05:12 PM
I respect raccoons grudgingly but am not a fan. An interesting 'coon story happened on one of my 30 annual week-long float trips along the Deschutes River in central Oregon. It's high desert country and we usually have no major critter problems (once you get used to the plentiful rattlesnakes) so our bagged garbage isn't generally hung. On the last night of one trip, the three of us were sleeping on cots under the stars (no tent), me about ten meters from the other two guys. At 3 in the morning, we all were awakened by a hideous combination of hissing and animal screams. Three 'coons had found our campsite and were fighting each other over access to the garbage bag. One of my buddies threw a couple rocks but the 'coons were more interested in getting rid of their competitors. The biggest of the bunch appeared to win the battle and as I was just sitting up on my cot shaking the sleepy cobwebs out, here came all three 'coons at a dead run right toward me, one pursuing the other two who had lost the battle for the garbage. Before I knew what was happening, all three of them came broadside to my cot at full speed and all proceeded to hurdle my cot, with me still on it in my sleeping bag. They were impressively fast and obviously had pretty good hops. So we hung the garbage bag in a tree and went back to sleep. About an hour later, we heard more noises, and the biggest of the three had come back and was trying with great dexterity to reach the hung garbage bag. It took several well thrown rocks to convince the raccoon it wasn't worth the effort to keep trying, and it scrabbled down the tree and trundled away.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Told you, they are really smart animals! Chimpanzee smart...

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Todays journal entry is Hammy, AKA Hambone, my niece's pet Coatimundi. Coatis are members of the raccoon family. They are the south and central american relatives of the raccoon which range as far south as Chile and Argentina. The northern tip of their range is Phoenix Arizona in the USA. They are as destructive as raccoons and as such I wouldn't recommend them as pets. They have sharp teeth and claws and a propensity for getting into mischief of all sorts just as their north American relatives the raccoons do. In order to have one of these wild animals in the USA you must go through the permitting program with the USDA sector which handles exotics. My niece has all the proper permits and training to keep this animal as required by the state and federal governments. Hammy is a juvenile and thus far has an exceptional disposition. Whether he will stay that way as an adult remains to be seen.. As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
03-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Great painting and information.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Here's today's Tree Journal entry. It's an American Bobcat and a great animal with a disposition to be reckoned with. They are wild and beautiful. They do not belong in leg hold traps nor used as fur hats or coats. They are truly magnificent and they do reside here in my state, Wisconsin. In my opinion, they are magnificent creatures! As always, Deb Hill

Deborah Susan Hill
03-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Salty, the dresser drawer kitten, He has a sibling kitty named pepper who is long haired and black. Salty is a snow tiger siamese, commonly called a color point or lynx point depending on who you talk to. His mother Pokey decided to have these kittens on my chest when I was lying in bed dozing off for the night.. She was insistent that I was to play midwife for her. Salty was the first one out and now that he is almost ten weeks old, he has taken to exploring the house and playing chase with Pepper and Ragmop and Uncle Lummy. Princess who is his half sister shows nothing but disdain for the two recent usurpers of her food dish and generally growls and grumbles at them if they come to close to her..

DrDebby
03-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Beautiful cats, wild and domestic.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Today's entry to the tree journal is a quick watercolor and sharpie pen sketch of Salty and Pepper, my dresser drawer kittens at play on the bed. They are wild and rambunctious toe biters who have figured out how to climb up the quilt onto the bed. My toes will never be safe now!:cat: :eek:

vhere
03-06-2016, 11:38 AM
nice sketches :) the resident tiger used to pounce on and bite toes when she was young. Owwww! She's a quieter old lady now :) The markings sound lovely

Deborah Susan Hill
03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
This is Muffin, the tomcat who sired those kittens. His kittens usually are siamese or black even though he's just a mongrel barn cat. There are enough dilution genes in the cat colony that we wind up with siamese cats a fair amount of the time. He is also Princess's sire. I think he is beautiful! Salty will look like him when he is full grown.

DrDebby
03-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Kittens love toes. Yes, ouchies. Great rendering of the kittens on the bed.

vhere
03-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Gorgeous!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Today's entry is Muffin, The tomcat who sired Salty, Pepper and Princess. Daniel Smith Primatek genuine gemstone paint. Arches 140 lb. Cold pressed paper.

DrDebby
03-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Such a serious expression. Great job.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Coati-Monday! Yeah i know, bad pun, but I couldn't resist hamming it up with Hammy, my nieces Coatimundi in another pose for my journal..

DrDebby
03-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Cute little guy. *groaning about the pun*

Vivien Maloney
03-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Love your sketch of Muffin and your colors!
Can I ask, what's a Coatimundi? Is it a kind of Racoon? Please forgive my ignorance but Ive never heard of one before and Im intrigued.
Oh Ive just seen on a previous page that it is a species of Racoon. We dont have any of these animals in New Zealand.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-12-2016, 08:34 AM
This page of the tree journal is a color test of my recently purchased 22 Piece set of Cretacolor Aqua Briques. They are big, intense blocks of color that lend themselves quite well to journaling and illustration. You can use them to paint like watercolor pans or draw with them directly on paper. I used a sharpie permanent fine point marker to delineate the alligators on the page as the run together shapes suggested that sort of form to me. So here is this page, up to its Arse in Alligators! Rainbow colored alligators at that! If you like bright, highly saturated intense colors that are lightfast, these blocks of pigment have pretty good lightfastness ratings! I highly recommend them! As always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
03-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Clever illustration on a media testing page. :)

Deborah Susan Hill
03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Here's my Cretacolor paint rag from this morning's color test of the new paint set! I use paper towels with some texture to clean my brush between color changes so I don't contaminate the next color I use. I noticed that the paper towel had all these wonderful intense colors all over it that were very floral in nature, so I embellished it with some floral motiifs using an ultra fine sharpie permanent marker, Then I glued it down on a piece of 140 lb bristol board with Modpodge matt decoupage medium and coated the napkin with Modpodge as well. The resulting textural effect resembles lizard skin with a very similar sheen to it. I will likely use this as cover stock on another handmade art journal when I get around to it. I think I'll use this one for Drawings and paintings of flowers and insects. Those seem to fit hand in glove with each other.. Modpodge is an acrylic medium that dries clear and waterproof. The napkin which would have deteriorated rapidly or been thrown away now has a second use and is essentially encased in plastic. Cretacolors have a good lightfast rating so the cover should be good for at least 100 years without substantial fading.. I had never really tried decoupage or mixed media of this nature before, but this experiment turned out nicely I Think!

Vivien Maloney
03-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Deborah - gosh I love those bright colors of the alligators!
Great use of paper towels and flowers!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Here's another page of color test rectangles at full saturation.

vhere
03-13-2016, 03:30 PM
jewel bright colours

DrDebby
03-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Looking forward to seeing the floral rag as a book cover.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2016, 06:57 PM
It will happen! I will do the back cover in the same fashion. I just have to take time to work it up. It will likely take another week or two while I work other projects. This was fun to do, so It will likely be sooner rather than later.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2016, 07:03 PM
As for Modpodge matte medium/ glue, I recommend it.
it works well for gluing your handmade journals together. I don't even get paid for this. I just like this product!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
As for Modpodge matte medium/ glue, I recommend it.
it works well for gluing your handmade journals together. I don't even get paid for this. I just like this product! To glue a paper towel in this manner you simply coat the piece of bristol paper with it then stick the napkin or paper towel to it or any other paper Item you wish to decoupage to it. Then you coat the top of it with Modpodge. You can add several more coats if you want it protected better.. Just let it dry well in between coats! It works quite well!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Oh well, sorry for the double post. I still like the product..

Deborah Susan Hill
03-16-2016, 05:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2016/1972519-image.jpg Here's a couple of test pages of my new Inktense blocks which I am not so certain that I am entirely thrilled with as a drawing media. They work alright if you simply use them like watercolor pan paints and paint off the blocks with a wet brush. I didn't like the crumbly texture of the blocks and the level of opacity they seemed to have as well as the tendency they had toward getting muddy when water was applied and they ran together.

There are two trays in the 72 set made of very fragile, flimsy plastic. For the amount of cash laid out on these, you would think they would do a better job with their packaging.. but alas, it is flimsy and will likely fall to rack and ruin if you aren't very careful when you attempt to access the second set of colors underneath the top set. Overall, I liked the Cretacolors much better than this set even though the Cretacolors had substantially less colors in the set. Their pigments are more vivid and less granular and their transparency is second to none.

The Inktense can be used in a number of other ways and I intend to test them out as sprays and as shaved off bits as elements added to drawings then hit with a mist spray to activate them. I'm waiting on a shipment of 2 oz spray mist bottles to get to work on that however. The first couple pics are the Inktense tests and the last one in line is Cretacolor Aqua Briques with Inktense purple used as a stamping ink for the stamped motifs. You'll note that the inktense when used as a watercolor medium isn't nearly as overbearing as it was in the blocks of color I drew on then added water to after I laid them down. I much prefer the Cretacolors however.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Here's the last image with the Creta colors combined with the inktense dark purple used as a rubber stamping media. Note how brilliant and transparent the Cretacolor Aqua Briques are in comparison to the Inktense blocks. Once I get the hang of working with them I'll likely still like the Cretacolors better anyway.:cat:

DrDebby
03-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Thank you so much for showing us your experiments with the media. The side by side comparison is great.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-17-2016, 05:57 PM
After I sold a few paintings recently, I decided to splurge on art supplies. I usually test any new media I am going to use, just to get to know its advantages and limitations. I had been eyeing these for awhile and when I suddenly could afford both sets I decided to go for it. If the tests help people to decide which one they like better and they can only afford one set all the better if this helps them to decide as these aren't cheap art supplies by any stretch of the imagination. I also purchased a drafting table for my studio as I had been making due propping up drawing boards on my desk and have grown tired of having them slide off while I was working on artwork. This at least has a ledge which will keep my artwork more stable while I work on it. I chose this one after looking at the reviews of a lot of them on Amazon. This one had some of the best reviews and It was fairly easy to assemble. It comes in pieces with assembly instructions and took around 4 hours for me to assemble it. Not bad for someone who's all thumbs when It comes to turning wrenches and screwdrivers.. for $139.00 American it wasn't too expensive either..

Joan T
03-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Wonderful colors in your sketches...inktense rules!!! Love those alligators and the tomcat! The paper towel looks like a masterpiece...how great that you are going to use it for a cover. I'm enjoying your very different vibrant works. Looks like a super art desk.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-17-2016, 11:24 PM
It seems pretty sturdy for the dollars spent. I will see in the long run how well it does by me. I hope it holds up over time. I Think I'll probably figure out how to use inktense blocks after I play with them awhile, But I still like the Cretacolor better for their jewel tones and overall transparency..

DrDebby
03-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Great art table. Hope it works out well for you long term.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Today's tree journal entry is Big Bird, My pet peacock in his full glory decked out in his spring regalia. He carries plumage which grows from his back that is over five feet long at its full growth. Peacocks only carry those glorious tails for a couple of months, dropping the plumage after breeding season is over. He grows his for his friends the deck cats, he hangs out with them since his last female was eaten by predators over two years ago.

Big bird is the only one left of the original flock of twelve, and the only one who was wary enough to avoid the foxes, raccoons and coyotes as well as the owls, eagles, and red tailed hawks that pose a threat from above..He is around 14 years old , as I purchased the initial flock of peachicks a year after I moved back to Wisconsin from Illinois. While I am sure he misses his ladies he has formed a special bond with one of the deck kitties named Gizmo. They lounge around together in the sunshine and big bird struts and shows off his tail for his buddy Gizzy..

The media used for this entry were Cretacolor Aqua Monolith woodless Aquarelle pencils, A sharpie ultra fine point black permanent marker, and Winsor & Newton Iridescent Medium to give it some sparkle and sheen. Of course Big Bird is much more magnificent in real life than any sketch..

DrDebby
03-20-2016, 02:58 PM
So sad Big Bird lost his friends. Great sketch.

Joan T
03-21-2016, 06:22 PM
LOVE the peacock!!! I like the sparkle and shine you added.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Today's entry is: :cat: Pepper Kitten, one of my dresser drawer babies taking a bath on my desk! He's just too cute! Daniel Smith watercolor paint, Winsor Newton Iridescent medium and sharpie ultra fine point marker were involved in the creation of this page. Pepper is a great model and a real sweetie as is his brother salty. They spend much of their time on my knees playing with me and trying to steal my pencils and paintbrushes. Salty has left his mark on the lambskin leather bindinf of this journal on th corners of the book! He is teething and getting ready to drop his kitten choppers...He loves to chew leather! His teeth are tiny, so not too much harm done, and it is his way of leavinf his mark for posterity! As always, Deb Hill.

vhere
03-24-2016, 06:00 AM
sweet :)

Deborah Susan Hill
03-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Yes, the Pepper Kitten is a sweetie pie! Thanks!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Today's tree journal entry are my two Yearling does that keep me company while I drink my coffee and scribble their portraits out the sliding glass doors adjacent to the back deck. Today one of the ladies went on alert when one of the deck cats ran up through the side yard near them. They are beautiful and my drawings don't do them justice. The weather is overcast with sleet falling from the sky, glazing the trees with a thin coating of ice. I don't think we'll venture out today as the roads are likely slick as glass..I hope this finds you all well, with better weather than we are having here. Winter is going out slowly, but not without a fight! As always, Deb Hill!

DrDebby
03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Wonderful sketches of the kitten and deer. Yes, winter decided to come back here too. It's currently snowing.

doug105
03-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Nice deer!

Just a heads up on some of your supplies....both intense and sharpies are notoriously non archival, both fade tremendously even in the absence of light.
I wouldn't sell any piece of original art made with them. They would be fine if you were going to make prints from your originals tho.

DougN

Minerva C
03-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Nice deer!

Just a heads up on some of your supplies....both intense and sharpies are notoriously non archival, both fade tremendously even in the absence of light.
I wouldn't sell any piece of original art made with them. They would be fine if you were going to make prints from your originals tho.

DougN

Does those with high lightfastness rating, 6-8, fade too?

Minerva C
03-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Your sketches are lovely!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Yes, I know this about inktense and am only using these in the journal where they likely won't see too much light exposure. The Cretacolors are supposedly better in terms of lightfastness, but then I only bought those for the journals as well. In my regular artwork, I use a variety if Watercolor paint brands that are mostly formulated using single pigments. While Sharpies fade if you use them for artwork that is going to be exposed to light, they are just fine in my journal, which will not see much daylight. I can't imagine them fading away to nothing in the next 40 years or so.. The watercolors I do are archival and are meant to last a couple hundred years as long as they aren't in direct sunlight all the time.. I already knew about the problems with inktense and there are some watercolors that are notoriously fugitive, like Alizarine Crimson unless you have one of the newly formulated permanent Alizarine Crimson paints. In any case, thanks for the warning. It will be of use for others who may not have known this.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-25-2016, 09:37 PM
As for the sharpie Magic markers especially the black ones, I have sitting over my shoulder hung on my wall a newspaper article, a ticket stub from the concert, and a five dollar bill, emblazoned with the musician's signature in sharpie marker. The date on the ticket is 1993. The signature on the five dollar bill in sharpie marker is John Mayall's. It is just as clear and legible as the day he signed it for his comeback concert at Buddy Guy's Legend's club in Chicago.. It has been on my wall for over 23 years. The print on the newspaper article has not fared as well as that signature, and they have been side by side in that same frame on my wall in a room that is sunlit most of the day as there are oversized windows to take in the view here from most directions.. For what its worth, those markers have served their purpose for many people who collect autographs.. Time will tell..

Deborah Susan Hill
03-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Here's my most recent art supply purchase, I was lucky enough to find a buy it now on Ebay for $30 three DaVinci Maestro kolinsky series 35 paintbrushes. Numbers 4, 6 and 8. I lucked out and all three came to me for $10 each. The number 8 retails at well over $100 USA Dollars.. in any case they arrived fast as they were only one state over from mine. I test drove them as soon as they arrived and the are in nearly new condition. I highly recommend these brushes.
This is a test in my tree journal. Daniel Smith watercolor paint and Sharpie Ultra fine point black magic marker. I think it does fine if you don't need it to last 300 years for some artifact collector.. These are personal sketches.. and now the are likely on the cloud for however long that lasts..

DrDebby
03-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Sweet kitty sketch. Glad the brushes worked for you.

Joan T
03-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Great deal on the brushes!!! They look like they are magic in your hands. Love the sketch of the deer and the cats!

JTMB
03-27-2016, 12:33 AM
Checking back in Deb - and enjoying all your entries since I last stopped by. I love the bobcat. I've been fortunate to see three in the wild - one as a teenager when fishing way back in the mountains (in PA) and two when doing bird surveys for a wildlife biologist in a major city watershed which is closed off from the public. They're gorgeous creatures and very tough to find and see...I was lucky!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-27-2016, 01:55 PM
All I've seen of them here on my acreage are their tracks in the snow and sand on the hillside where it is exposed on the dirt paths around my horse pens. They are mostly nocturnal in their habits and keep to fairly dense cover. They avoid humans like the plague. I Imagine I might catch a glimpse of one sometime if I set trail cameras in my woods where the deer paths run through them. Animals use those like superhighways..

hobbyartist87
03-28-2016, 01:43 AM
Lovely new (at least new to me since I haven't seen them in a while) sketches, Deb. Your experiments with art supplies were interesting and I didn't know you sell art also. Keep going with these.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Today's entry to the Tree Journal is an old abandoned farmhouse about ten miles away from my place as the crow flies. It has been sitting empty for as Long as I've lived in this area. It was probably empty years before we moved back here as well. It used to have windows but as the years have gone by vandals have broken those and the paint which was in fair condition when we first moved here has weathered and chipped and cracked away as it has stood neglected in the elements. It has developed substantial sagging and will likely not be around for too many more years.

So here it is in all its sagging weathered glory. A house left to fall to rack and ruin, suffering the insults of old age and neglect. I wonder what became of the people who lived there? Did they fall prey to the Bush administration's S&l disaster that forced so many farmers off their land and some of them to suicide? The house has always had a sad, empty, lonely look to it. Even when it still had its paint and windows. As always, Deb Hill

Limited palette painting. Raw sienna, Thalo Blue and Carmine Red. This time using LUKAS 1862 professional artist grade watercolor paint. Sharpie ultra fine point marker for accent work and fine details. LUKAS 1862 watercolors are great quality paints as they reformulated them a number or years back and the quality is substantially better than they were before they did this. They are on a par with any other professional grade watercolor paint at this point.

Joan T
03-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Good job on the house that needs so much TLC. We had one that I would pass a lot when I headed out east and then one day it was gone! Now there is a big, modern, monstrosity in it's place.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Farm houses and wooden barns are disappearing from the landscape. They aren't building them anymore for the most part. If you have your eye on one that is in dire need of rescue, assume that it will be gone and at least record it on paper or canvas for posterity. It is a part of America that is likely going extinct..Take digital photos of it.. that only takes a few seconds and it will be a part of the historical record of the area you live in.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Great Horned Owlets. My sister has been sending day by day progress video of a pair of great horned Owlets that were hatched in an osprey's nest near where she lives in Everglades city, Florida. They are growing fast and are starting to get feathers now. They go from zero to full grown in two months and you can literally see them change in size from one day to the next. They are amazing birds!

hobbyartist87
03-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Deborah, I think you've got the likeness of the birds really well.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Love your sketch of Muffin and your colors!
Can I ask, what's a Coatimundi? Is it a kind of Racoon? Please forgive my ignorance but Ive never heard of one before and Im intrigued.
Oh Ive just seen on a previous page that it is a species of Racoon. We dont have any of these animals in New Zealand.

Hammy the Coatimundi says hello from sunny Florida. His picture comes to me compliments of my niece who is his surrogate mom. Here he is playing with one of the dog's chew toys. Yes they are closely related to Raccoons, but more even tempered from what I hear from my niece.

He's cute and mischievous. Coatis run in familial social groups in the wild and get into all kinds of trouble as any intelligent animal is wont to do. They range from Chile in South America all the way up to Phoenix Arizona in the USA. They are omnivores like their northern cousins, the Raccoons. As Always, Deb Hill

DrDebby
03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Yup, a lot of building fading away around here too. We (hubby and I) have taken many pictures of the various buildings. Sad. Lovely painted tribute to a bygone era. Sweet picture of the owls.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the compliment. It is sad to see these old buildings falling apart and knowing that the people who lived there and their way of life are fast disappearing from this country. Small farms have been eaten up by industrial farming. You don't see traditional farms with a variety of livestock on them very often. They have been eaten up by corporate agricultural operations that farm grain around here. Raising livestock is more labor intensive than growing a crop of corn or oats or beans and harvesting it. So there are fewer farms and fewer farm families out here in this section of the country.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Spring has sprung, the crocuses in my garden as well as the Siberica are blooming. The violets will be following just after the crocuses and Siberica fade out. The Virginia bluebells are poking out of the ground and will bloom shortly after the violets stop blooming

This morning another sign that spring has indeed returned was the return of the resident pair of wood ducks to my woods. They nest in abandoned woodpecker nests or in hollow trees some 30 to 50 feet above ground level. When the ducklings have all hatched out the hen duck flies down to the base of the nest tree and calls to the ducklings to jump out and plummet to the ground..then she leads her brood down to the lake.

They aren't injured by the fall as they are all fluff and cartilage at that stage and they have no brittle bones to break. The drake landed in the tree nearest to my house and looked in on me. They do this every year when they return.

When we first moved here I was napping in my second story bedroom with the window open to let in fresh air and I was awakened by a pattering noise outside the window that I didn't recognize. I was a bit startled by it and went to the window to see what was making that noise. It was the woody duck hen and she cocked her head sideways and peered at me. It was the woodland welcoming committee and the pattering noise was the sound of wood duck feet on the roof outside my bedroom window!
So here is today's tree journal entry, The drake who dropped by to say hi and let me know that spring has sprung. His mate stayed far back in the woods but he came right up to the closest tree so I could see that They are back! As always, Deb Hill
Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolor paint.
Sharpie ultra fine point black marker.
Arches 140lb. 300 gsm rough paper.

DrDebby
04-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Awe, love the duck story. Great sketch.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:17 AM
Love the owlets...great job on the texture. You story about the duck made me smile. Nice pieces!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-03-2016, 12:00 AM
A scribble from the movie The Hateful Eight directed by Quentin Tarantino that I watched this evening. Pen and wash. The dialogue from the scene was " Hands Up!"

DrDebby
04-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Great sketch.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Thank you! I've done better, and I've done worse. I guess the main objective is gradual improvement over the long term, at least that's what I work toward! ;0)

Joan T
04-07-2016, 05:03 PM
That looks like more than a "little scribble." Nicely done!

eyepaint
04-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Love all the kitties!! And the three-D tree on the journal cover :)

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
An embossed cover is fairly easy to do. You just cut out the shapes you want to emboss out of heavy mat board and glue them onto your chipboard book boards, then you coat that with the glue of your choice. I use modpodge which isn't water soluble once it dries. Then I attach the leather cover and work the leather into all the nooks and crannies of the mat board cutouts with a bone folder. This makes a nice raised surface and you have a personalized decorative motif on your cover. A lot of books from the 18th century had covers embellished in this manner. It takes me around 5 days start to finish to make a sketchbook like this. The end result is a one of a kind work of art. I was commissioned to make one for a birthday present a few months ago. This is the front cover of her Sketchbook. Like a lot of fourteen year old girls, she is crazy about horses. I guess that runs in the family. So she got a book with a stylized horse on the cover. She loved it! The cover is made of Top grain 4 oz. dark chocolate cowhide. The interior side of the book boards have prints made from photos of 19th century circus posters. I did the fly leaves with circus poster art as well.
The 48 pages are Strathmore 400 140lb. 300 GSM rough watercolor paper.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2016/1972519-image.jpg

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Here's a few more shots of that sketchbook It was 8 1/2 x 11 inches which is a nice size to carry around.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Today's tree journal entry, while I'm at it was a quick watercolor and marker scribble of birds on the suet balls hung from the awning over my the sliding glass doors of my living room overlooking the Deck and woods across the yard.
The birds are a Downey Woodpecker and a White Breasted Nuthatch, both love suet.

DrDebby
04-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Awesome gift for a young woman who loves horses. :thumbsup:

Sweet sketch. Love the upside-down one.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Thank you!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2016, 08:41 PM
The nuthatch is usually upside down on the suet. They also groom the trees that way!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Lummy on my table next to a stack of books. He's a big kitty, also known as Lummox, or Lummyburgers, or Baby Huey.. He's 8 months old and weighs 14lbs. He's not full grown yet and he loves to wake me up in the middle of the night by jumping off the stack of books on the night stand and landing with all four feet stiff right in the middle of my stomach.. He is usually trying to get me to go feed the cats when he does this.. Oof! We love him anyway in spite of this!

DrDebby
04-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Big kitten! Great sketch of him.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Today's tree journal entry is a drawing of my lovely Princess's stout little back. She was watching something out the window as she sat on my table. She's a great model, no matter what pose she strikes. Arches cold pressed paper, Koh I Noor Mondeluz aquarelle pencils and cretacolor aqua briques in combination with marker.

DrDebby
04-10-2016, 04:35 PM
She is certainly intent. You captured her pose well.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-14-2016, 01:29 AM
Today's sketch is of the miniature Daffodils and the Siberica that are in bloom under the oak trees in my yard. It is pen and wash on Arches 140 lb. cold pressed paper.

DrDebby
04-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Lovely spring flowers.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Thank you Debby! Not the best , nor the worst as I've done worse, but I still try anyway! It's an exercise in experience. Hopefully It improves with time! In any case I muddle along from one painting or drawing to the next and hope for the best. Which is all any of us can hope for, Eh? And if it isn't the best, at least we tried! One foot in front of the other!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Thank you :clap:

JTMB
04-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Nice to see all your work since I last checked in, but of course in particular I love to see birds. Interesting that the Great Horned Owls chose an Osprey nest. They do re-use other birds' nests rather than building their own, but usually try to stay pretty camo'd and Osprey nests are usually right out in the open. Of course they adapt based on where they are. In eastern WA state out here, the nests are often easily found as the number of trees are pretty small, and they also nest in crevices in rock cliffs. The Wood Duck drake is the most gorgeous duck there is in my book. A lot of people don't realize they roost in trees - one time while birding just before dark I came across a dozen of them roosting in trees above the trail I was on. Good work!