PDA

View Full Version : Advice about vehicles in pastel

lisapencil
01-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi everybody, I normally draw/paint animals and birds but have decided to have a go at drawing my 1960s classic mini. I am not sure how to achieve shiny metal in pastels. Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

water girl
01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
This may sound too simplistic, but it works. Paint what you see. I'm assuming you have good photos to work from. The chrome bumpers and shiny trim reflect what is around them. Here is an old 60's woody I painted a while back. Scroll down for close ups.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562950
You are probably asking, "What color is chrome?" It's not a color. Look carefully at your reference. You'll see the sky, perhaps trees, people or colorful specks of color reflected somewhere in the chrome. Replicate the shapes of different colors you see. On a sunny, clear day, you'll probably see a lot of sky color. As for the rest of the car, the same theory applies, Look for patterns and replicate the patterns and values you see. I hope this helps! Painting classic cars is such fun. :clap:

*Deirdre*
01-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Lisa...I've moved this discussion on Chrome to Pastel Talk, as that's where it belongs....but don't worry, I've left a redirect...just in case!

Karen is spot on with her advice, that's how I do mine...so I can't add anything, except to ask if is shiny, new Chrome...or a bit rusted? (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300966&highlight=truck)I've done rust...but such a long time ago when I was just starting with Soft Pastels...so it's not very good! :eek:

robertsloan2
01-25-2016, 09:50 PM
You can simplify the reflections on chrome a bit for the sake of painting, the main thing is to keep the general pattern of distortions in the reflections to have it come out true. I love doing chrome, loved it from the point I first figured it out in black and white. It's a bent surface so the reflections are often distorted so far that it's unrecognizable except for color and juxtaposition. It gets more attention if you have strong light and dark contrasts within it.

lisapencil
01-26-2016, 04:20 AM
Thanks everybody for your really helpful advice. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in now. I have had the car for over 20 years and it is excellent condition. I was not so worried about the chrome it is more the actual car colour which called "Fiesta yellow", this varies from pale cream to minty green depending what light you look at it, so I'll have to do some experimenting with different blends to get it right. :rolleyes: