PDA

View Full Version : Help labeling color wheel

bluemooze
01-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Hello all. This color wheel is copied from Colorix's excellent coloring tutorial. My question is about mixed colors, like Violet-Red vs Red-Violet. It seems to me they should be the same color. I am confused and need guidance. Thanks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2016/1236757-color_wheel_labeled.jpg

Grinner
01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Hello Bluemooze :)
First, FYI, the tertiary colors are typically referred to with the primary color first, and the secondary color second (e.g. red-violet, blue-violet, red-orange, yellow-orange, yellow-green, blue-green).

With that in mind, there is only one red-violet - it is the color between red and violet. So even if you call it violet-red, it would have to be referring to the same color on the color wheel.

Hope that's helpful!

robertsloan2
01-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Keep going with her excellent tutorial. This is a good color wheel. The entire class revolutionized how I view color.

I think of a violet-cast red as a much redder color than reddish violet, but that's almost an 18 color wheel. It'd have pure primaries and secondaries plus warm and cool leaning versions of each color.

bluemooze
01-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Hello Bluemooze :)
First, FYI, the tertiary colors are typically referred to with the primary color first, and the secondary color second (e.g. red-violet, blue-violet, red-orange, yellow-orange, yellow-green, blue-green).

With that in mind, there is only one red-violet - it is the color between red and violet. So even if you call it violet-red, it would have to be referring to the same color on the color wheel.

Hope that's helpful!

Thanks for your help Grinner :)

I've re-labeled the color wheel based on your reply. It makes more sense to me now:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2016/1236757-color_wheel_re-labeled.jpg

bluemooze
01-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Keep going with her excellent tutorial. This is a good color wheel. The entire class revolutionized how I view color.

I think of a violet-cast red as a much redder color than reddish violet, but that's almost an 18 color wheel. It'd have pure primaries and secondaries plus warm and cool leaning versions of each color.

Thanks for the encouraging words robertsloan2. :)

Colors seem more vibrant by following this tutorial. I'm going to try the first example with the red block on the light cloths.

robertsloan2
01-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Oh that one was fun! I remember that. Post it in the Studio and a lot of us who were in the class may comment.

studiospirit
01-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Hello All, where would one find this Colorix tutorial? Thanks

DAK723
01-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Hello All, where would one find this Colorix tutorial? Thanks

In the Soft Pastel Learning Center. Here's a link to the thread. Keep in mind all the threads in the learning center are archived and closed to any new posts.

Enjoy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527268

Don

studiospirit
01-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks Don much appreciated

lumiere33
01-31-2016, 11:15 AM
I've understood from what I read in books and elswhere :
red-violet and violet red aren't same color. there's more of the first color than the second. example : red-violet : more red in it than violet. violet-red : more violet in it than red.

DAK723
01-31-2016, 07:01 PM
I've understood from what I read in books and elswhere :
red-violet and violet red aren't same color. there's more of the first color than the second. example : red-violet : more red in it than violet. violet-red : more violet in it than red.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of different ways for people to talk and to label things. I have never heard this. In English, it is customary to give the name of the primary color first (thus, red-violet). Perhaps in France they are more specific!

Don