PDA

View Full Version : pen and ink - let's post

RuthT
07-05-2001, 10:41 AM
Good idea Roan. Until, and if, we get a forum one way to see other members work is to post, so I am starting the ball rolling. It is done on a 7"x10" Arches hot press block, with india ink and a stick (shish kabob type), with added watercolor.
I meant to post this earlier but have been trying for 2 hours!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for the image! I would love to see someone else's work.

RuthT
07-05-2001, 10:51 AM
The original work had an orange-brown tint where it shows here as grey on the trumpets of the flowers. But because I don't know how to retrieve my files in a form that I can edit them for size, file type, etc., I printed it and then scanned it. Seems to have taken some of the punch out of it:crying:
Came out larger than I intended too.

Ohju
07-05-2001, 11:44 AM
either way on the colors....looks good enough to become a mother's day card. nice work! ~Ju:D

RuthT
07-05-2001, 01:11 PM
After doing a bit more exploring of WetCanvas, I realize that I probably should have started this as a project. Is anyone interested?

Thank you for your kind comment Ohju :)

artdude
07-05-2001, 06:36 PM
Hi Ruth. THANKS for starting this thread :clap: Really enjoyed your flowers and I agree that this would look good on a mother's day card :)

Here is one of mine. Most of my ink works are done using the "Stippling" method (some refer to it as pointillism too). Stippling is: using a LOT of DOTS to render an art piece instead of using lines or crosshatching. The closer the dots are to each other the darker, and the farther apart the lighter it gets. This is the head of a Golden Eagle I did a few months ago. The original size is 8" X 6" (used Koh I Noor Tech pens) and it took me about 25 hours to complete. I start with a rough pencil drawing and do some sublte shading for a guide, and once the piece is done I use a kneadable eraser to lift off any remaining graphite. Hope you enjoy my first ink post :D

http://pencil2pen.com/eaglepointcopy1.gif

RuthT
07-05-2001, 07:18 PM
Hi artdude - what a beautiful piece of work; I can well imagine it took you all those hours. I particularly like the eye; it is a 'living' eye as if the bird was really watching something.

Pleased you liked my flowers.

p.s. How did you get the bird to sit still all that time? :D

Roan
07-05-2001, 07:33 PM
And here's mine :)

Did this about 14 years ago when I was heavily into pen & ink and washes for about 6 months. I did a series of loons and horses and sold them all. Unfortunately, this is the only one I have a picture of and it's courtesy of the client that purchased it from me. It's also the worst one I did :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2001/roan_loon.jpg

RuthT
07-05-2001, 10:50 PM
Great to see your work Roan - the 'silhouette' effect is very eye-catching. A lovely work, no wonder you sold them all.

BTW did you have a problem posting the graphic? I only ask because it did not show at first, only the avatar. I accessed it a couple of times and still no graphic, so I checked with someone who uses a different browser and it showed on theirs.
When I finally came to reply and explain that I couldn't see it - there it was!
Am having problems with certain tiny heads showing and wondered if it was all part of my same problem.

artdude
07-06-2001, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by RuthT

p.s. How did you get the bird to sit still all that time? :D

Thanks for the compliments Ruth :D I just put a mirror in front of him and he just stood there motionless admiring himself ;)

artdude
07-06-2001, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Roan

Did this about 14 years ago when I was heavily into pen & ink and washes for about 6 months. I did a series of loons and horses and sold them all. Unfortunately, this is the only one I have a picture of and it's courtesy of the client that purchased it from me. It's also the worst one I did :)

Hi Roan. Well aren't we always our own worst critics? I like the drawing and they always look better in real life rather than a scanned picture. I haven't had any luck with washes yet but I haven't tried that many either. The brush always feels so foreign in my hands. It's not like holding a pen or pencil. Thanks for posting one of your inks. Maybe you can render a new ink piece since you have sold all of your other ones?

RuthT
07-06-2001, 08:09 AM
LOL

Renfish
07-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Yowsa! These are terrific!

Artdude, I admire your patience - it certainly paid off. The details are out of this world. This is only your first?!?! Can't wait to see more!

Roan, that's the worst of the lot? No way! ;) I can see why they all sold - the composition is really nice. The curved lines guide your eyes around the picture and gives it a peaceful feeling. Way cool!

Jeff

artdude
07-06-2001, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Renfish
Yowsa! These are terrific!

Artdude, I admire your patience - it certainly paid off. The details are out of this world. This is only your first?!?! Can't wait to see more!

Jeff

THANK YOU Jeff :) This isn't my first ink using the stippling technique but every time I start one it sure feels like the first. Sure is time consuming work and yup....yah gotta have a LOT of PATIENCE :D

TeAnne
07-06-2001, 11:05 PM
Wow, Great works :cat:
This I did in Feb.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/46/completed/TeAnne/franngapani2.jpg

NorahT
07-08-2001, 08:00 PM
My first love is watercolour painting, but I would like to see all mediums flourish and with this in mind am posting my first pen and ink drawing. It was taken from a photo of my daughter and her dog, drawn in hb pencil first and then ballpoint (Pilot fine blue) on Canson 65 lb sketching paper. It is not very dark so will post a couple of versions of it, the product of "tweaking" on my part. I realise it is not a polished drawing, but it is an excellent likeness, so I am thankful for small mercies.

NorahT
07-08-2001, 08:02 PM
This is the second version. Please comment (but gently:) )
As suggested by Roan, I will also post these two drawing in Critiques.

RuthT
07-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Hi TeAnne - I couldn't get your painting all on the screen at the same time, so printed it out. This gave a much better idea of the balance. I really like the different colours you have used in the pot, and the leaves where the ink work shows up well. :)

Hi Norah - Nice first attempt :) It is a good likeness of your daughter; I think she will like it.

MarkL
07-10-2001, 12:31 AM
Pen & Ink
an early picture I to am in ageement of an ink section
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2001/arch_big.jpg

RuthT
07-10-2001, 11:49 AM
Hi MarkL - A marvelously detailed work. I like the soft shades too (but you can tell by my tiny head that I am into soft shades). Did you 'paint' any of the washes on with a brush? So glad we got to see this.

artdude
07-10-2001, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MarkL
Pen & Ink

Hey Mark!! GREAT stippled ink work!! I knew you would post something sooner or later :D Have you voted for the Pen & Ink forum yet? You can find it in the "Site Discussions Channel forum. Hope to see more soon!!

MarkL
07-10-2001, 07:31 PM
Hi MarkL - A marvelously detailed work. I like the soft shades too (but you can tell by my tiny head that I am into soft shades). Did you 'paint' any of the washes on with a brush? So glad we got to see this.

Thanks RuthT, Re Washes? the whole thing is lots of dots for this pic I used a 0.35 nib its done on A3 paper

Hey Artdude cheers for pointing me in the right direction im off there
now

artdude
07-11-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by NorahT
My first love is watercolour painting, but I would like to see all mediums flourish and with this in mind am posting my first pen and ink drawing. It was taken from a photo of my daughter and her dog, drawn in hb pencil first and then ballpoint (Pilot fine blue) on Canson 65 lb sketching paper. It is not very dark so will post a couple of versions of it, the product of "tweaking" on my part. I realise it is not a polished drawing, but it is an excellent likeness, so I am thankful for small mercies.

Hi Nora: Don't know how I missed this one. Even without a lot of detail you can tell the woman and dog are great friends. Very good expressions on both!! :D

mclaughlin
07-12-2001, 01:47 PM
Here's a little ink sketch.

NorahT
07-12-2001, 04:25 PM
Hi Sis, I have posted this in critiques and on a separate thread in drawing, but I thought you might like to have it on your thread too :) :angel:

artdude
07-12-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by mclaughlin
Here's a little ink sketch.

Nice line work :) I see a splash of color in there too. Is that watercolor?

artdude
07-12-2001, 04:58 PM
Hi Sis, I have posted this in critiques and on a separate thread in drawing, but I thought you might like to have it on your thread too

Hi Nora: I really like this one!! Great shading on the flowers and pot. The line and bit of shading you have going vertical just above the flowers looks a little out of place though. I think it would look great without that part :D Looks to me like that line is maybe a corner in the wall behind the flowers??

mclaughlin
07-13-2001, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by artdude

Nice line work :) I see a splash of color in there too. Is that watercolor?

Thanks for your reply. It is actually Ink-Pen and Coloured Pencil on cheap computer paper...after a book I'm reading.

Have a nice day

mclaughlin
07-13-2001, 08:51 AM
I like ink more and more. I posted this sketch already in the
"Portrait of Ruth" - Project.

artdude
07-13-2001, 11:57 AM
I like ink more and more. I posted this sketch already in the
"Portrait of Ruth" - Project.

I like the free flowing style you have in this portrait. It adds character to the art. Keep it up :clap: Seems like you have the INK bug!! You will definately get better with every one you do :D

mclaughlin
07-13-2001, 03:08 PM
you are right. I came tonight across another Photo of Toulouse-Lautrec and did a sketch.

Cheerio

mclaughlin
07-13-2001, 03:12 PM
This is the second version. Please comment (but gently:) )
As suggested by Roan, I will also post these two drawing in Critiques.

I think your picture really stands out. What a beautyful sujet and great work.

RuthT
07-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Hi mclaughlin - I was pleased to see your work posted, you have a lovely free and easy style, and I like the touches of colour. :)

RuthT
07-13-2001, 06:53 PM
Finally sat down this morning and decided to do some pen and ink; just put something on paper to get me going. They are done with india ink and a shish kebab stick (will have to get a pen soon), on sketching paper.

I did the horse first in about 20 minutes - drew better horses when I was 12, but just wanted to get started again.

RuthT
07-13-2001, 07:30 PM
Then when I settled down I started to work on the elephant. It is a concrete ornament about 8 inches tall.It's a work in progress, if it turns out as I hope I will post it in the critiques section. Have made 3 attempts to get the graphic here

:D :D :D but the elephant is too big :D :D :D

Will try an edit later.

There is no 'browse' on the edit! Ah, life is hard :crying:

RuthT
07-13-2001, 07:35 PM
another try

NorahT
07-13-2001, 10:18 PM
Hi mclaughlin - two very good portraits, especially the one of Ruth - a nice free style.

I posted my first pen and ink just to support the forum, but now I think I am bitten by the bug too - I really enjoy the ink work.

Thank you for your kind comments, too :)

NorahT
07-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Hi Sis - you havn't lost your touch - that horse is going at quite a canter :)

I like the elephant too - nice soft touch.

mclaughlin
07-14-2001, 12:59 AM
Finally sat down this morning and decided to do some pen and ink; just put something on paper to get me going. They are done with india ink and a shish kebab stick (will have to get a pen soon), on sketching paper.

I did the horse first in about 20 minutes - drew better horses when I was 12, but just wanted to get started again.

This horse is wonderful:clap: I'm really jealous.
Please post more work. Ink is such an emotional medium.
Maybe I'll try feather and ink.

mclaughlin
07-14-2001, 01:02 AM
Hi Ruth,

there is a magic in ink and it shows once again in your
little Elephant...please post more.

artdude
07-14-2001, 12:20 PM

Hi Ruth: Well it's great to see you experimenting with inks and I'm glad you are enjoying it so much. :clap: It really does show in your work. I REALLY like your horse drawing. You say you drew better horses when you were 12. Look at the lines in this drawing. There is a style and feel to them and it's ALL YOURS!! Keep up the great work. The INK BUG is contagious!!! :D

mclaughlin
07-14-2001, 01:56 PM
one more for the ink - crusade. Bought a new pen today.

artdude
07-14-2001, 07:23 PM
one more for the ink - crusade. Bought a new pen today.

Hi mclaughlin: Nice sharp lines in this profile :) What kind of pen did you buy?

RuthT
07-14-2001, 10:40 PM
Hi mclaughlin - What a lovely drawing. I like the dark areas near the eyes and the complementary one in the headwear.

BTW - where is the drawing done with the feather! :D

mclaughlin
07-15-2001, 01:29 AM
Hi,

the pen is just a "better" ink-pen. I tried feather long ago.
I got to find it ...it's somewhere...
Thank you for your encouragment.

mclaughlin
07-15-2001, 02:31 AM
a sunday morning-sketch
:D

NorahT
07-15-2001, 09:46 AM
Hi mclaughlin - another winner! On looking over your sketches - you seem to have such a confident touch. Keep them coming :)

artdude
07-15-2001, 11:37 AM
a sunday morning-sketch
:D

Hey great drawing mclaughlin :D I feel like I can't keep up to you and Ruth. You are both comming up with some really good ink drawings!! Guess I need to do more quick sketches :)

mclaughlin
07-15-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks Norah and Artdude,

ink is wonderful to use in so many ways. I love it for a quick sketch and I love quick sketches.
Thank you for your nice comments and let's keep our ink-thread
going.

Have a nice day

mclaughlin
07-15-2001, 12:30 PM
I finally could convince my wife to post one of her old ink drawings.
Lorna did this:

The Farmer

NorahT
07-15-2001, 01:16 PM
Hi Lorna - this is great - I like you style of work :) I had no idea when I got into this how many different styles of pen and ink there are. Let's see some more of yours!

artdude
07-15-2001, 01:23 PM
I finally could convince my wife to post one of her old ink drawings.
Lorna did this:

The Farmer

WOW!!! Hey Lorna this is GREAT!! Very good ink drawing. Nice design and balance to it. Would love to see MORE!! :D

mclaughlin
07-15-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi Lorna - this is great - I like you style of work :) I had no idea when I got into this how many different styles of pen and ink there are. Let's see some more of yours!

Thank you for your wonderful comment. Lorna doesn't do ink
these days but maybe we can get her into it again...;)
What she and I like about ink is that it is clean and portable.

You Guys really made me want to dig deeper into the ink-Art.
Thank you all for that.

Please post

RuthT
07-15-2001, 04:58 PM
Hi mclaughlin - like your drawing of brandy. Saw him in the pastels(?) too - he looks great in both mediums.

Hi Lorna - a lovely style, there is so much movement in it.

I agree with my sister (NorahT) - I did not realize there could be so many styles. That is why I opened this thread, so that I could see what other artists do, and it has been very rewarding and inspiring.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

mclaughlin
07-16-2001, 12:07 AM
Hi Ruth,
thank you so much for your comments. I am sketching for fun.
This thread of yours is quite a movement itself. What a good idea.
You and Artdude are really the "motor" behind the ink-wave.

Have a nice Day

RuthT
07-16-2001, 07:07 AM
Hi mclaughlin - This will be my last post on this thread. Artdude, who is the real originator of the 'ink-wave', has set up 'son of ink-wave' on 'Pen/Ink - lets post 2' which I think is a good idea as this thread was getting rather unwieldy.

Being technologically-challenged, I don't know how to put the thread reference in this post, but i'm sure you will find it. See you there! :)

mclaughlin
07-17-2001, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RuthT
[B]After doing a bit more exploring of WetCanvas, I realize that I probably should have started this as a project. Is anyone interested?

I am. It's a good idea. An Ink-Project.

mclaughlin
07-17-2001, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by MarkL
Pen & Ink
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2001/arch_big.jpg

Hi Mark,

I'm really ashamed because I didn't comment on your "sunken world" picture. I remember talking with my wife about it and that we both were absolutely thrilled.

Please post more and don't think we're rude

mclaughlin
07-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Mark,

it somehow posted your picture again...arggghhh,
sorry

genearthur
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
:wave: