PDA

View Full Version : How to use Roches?

Judibelle
01-12-2016, 06:53 PM
I 'inherited' a set of Roches some time ago. They are very old and very gritty.
What is the best way to use them, and on what type of paper? I have not yet found a way to use them properly...

DAK723
01-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Roches are a bit different than most other brands. Personally, I had limited experience with them when I bought the portrait set, but I found they worked best for me on smoother papers and without much layering. If I'm not mistaken, we had a long thread on Roches a while back and Charlie had good luck with them on smoother papers and using fixative between layers.

Don

P.S. Here's the thread I mentioned:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021252

Judibelle
01-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Don. I had forgotten about that thread, and just reread it all the way through. Most helpful...especially your examples and descriptions.
Helps a lot!

robertsloan2
01-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Non sanded paper, with fixative between layers. They are wonderful and Degas used them. Just need to remember they precede the many sanded and coated surfaces we have. Also the other way I like to use them is build dsome layers with Rembrandt and make final layering with the stronger more pigment rich Roche'.

Heh, I mentioned them on the "what would you do if you won the lottery?" thread. Buy a full range set of pastels that costs more than it will to build my house.

Ruthie57
01-14-2016, 08:46 AM
I have some Roches and I always used them on canson mt, fixing between layers.
Then I experimented with a couple of other papers.
On Pastelmat they are really weird. If you know pastelmat you'll know that it grabs the first layer of pastel tight. No way to blend until you have a few layers on. Not so with the Roches...I could smear them about after just one layer. The downside is that, when the painting was finished, I tapped it as usual and LOADS of dust fell off.
On Art Spectrum Coloufix I think I used Rembies for the first layer. But the Roches worked really well on it thereafter and hardly any dust fall off at the end!
Hope this helps. :)

Judibelle
01-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Rob and Ruthie. i do mostly use Canson, but never have used fixative! Guess that will be my next purchase....then I can 'play' more with the Roches I have left.

robertsloan2
01-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Ruthie, thanks! I haven't tried them on Colourfix yet, its texture is very different. Other sanded papers seems like I'd use up too much of the stick but they're rougher, Colourfix has that "grit in an acrylic medium" texture.

Ruthie57
01-14-2016, 12:51 PM
yes Robert. I was surprised how well they went on...and it didn't eat them either. But as I said I did use rembies for the first layer. Let us know how you get on!

Still-trying
01-27-2016, 03:09 PM
What an interesting discussion! And the other links are so informative. Thanks for all who did examples and explanations. Explained a lot!