PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on digital art

TBHeART
01-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Hello everyone.

I have never tried digital and I just started painting actually. I have this project I am working on, Called The Broken Heart. I have been having an amazing time practicing, painting on 24x24 canvas and watching it all come together.
Eventually I want to have a space and hang em all up, invite a few people Maybe in 2 or 3 years.
So I am starting to entertain the idea of learning digital art (even if it takes me years to learn) I just love working on my computer, whatever it is. It also works better in my tiny NYC apartment lol
BUT..Couple things, What is the deal with ppl saying it isn't real art? Or less valuable? I am not trying to sound ignorant or offend anyone but this is what I hear.
Also when I Paint I walk in to blick and buy a primed canvas, most of the time on sale, How much more is it to print and then have it stretched? thanks!

Yorky
01-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Well, check out the work by David Hockney (http://www.hockneypictures.com/current.php)who has transitioned from acrylics to digital art.

Doug

maria_khurram
01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
In digital art, we paint every stroke either with mouse or tablet. So it can't be considered less valuable art. Not everyone can paint in Painter, Artrage or whatever digital painting software. Only artists can do it.

LavenderFrost
01-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Digital artists have trouble being accepted in some places, but remember that acrylic artists still have some trouble too. It seems to take a long time for some people to accept things.

Also, many don't understand what digital art, and especially digital painting, is. But there are so many methods that it can be confusing. You have to educate people about what you do because people don't know if you have painted every stroke or if you worked with a photo and filters. For some it doesn't matter how it was done as long as they like the image, and for others it does matter.

You will find some forums on wetcanvas that don't accept digital work so check the guidelines if you ever want to take part in any challenges and stuff.

I can't help you with printing information, I don't bother, I just upload to FineArtAmerica. But I live in the boonies with no local printers or market for art lol.

Yorky
01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
And yet photographers who modify their photographs digitally are well thought of and can hold exhibitions.

Doug

Elainepsq
01-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Like many professions, there has been a lot of fear in the art world about computers changing how things are done. It is certainly made it easier in commercial art, to work without waiting for paint to dry and to make changes more easily. It's also easier to send people jpegs of your progress, rather than photographing a large painting. And I know of some "old school" designers and illustrators, who are trying hard to say that some things can't be done on a computer. But at the same time, one of them has said that if they didn't know better, they'd think my Artrage work was just a print from a watercolor painting! While in some professions it's impossible to work without adapting to a computer as part of your work tools. I think there will always be a place for traditional materials if you prefer to work that way. But the fact is, that digital painting is done with the same skills as painting with paint, pastels etc, so it shouldn't be treated as something so "different". I've had a few students who take my Artrage class, because they allergic to paint fumes or live in small apartments and find that working digitally is much easier for them to do at home!
As for printing, Dick Blick, at least in Portland OR, has a print dept. I haven't used them, because they don't accept emails, you have to bring in a disc or media of some sort, and then go back a few days later to pick up your prints.
I've used several local places for glide where I can email a file and pick it up when it's ready. While giclee is considered the best quality, but can be expensive and I've had laser prints made that were more true to color! I've printed on canvas, and that looks great but is a little expensive. I really don't know how it compares to painting on canvas. Ready stretched canvases are cheaper, but considering the price of paint, brushes and media these days, it doubt it's any more expensive in the long run.
I often have small laser prints made at my local UPS store, and then frame them like watercolors. Something you might want to try a few that way in the beginning.

One other thing, that I advocate is photographing traditional paintings and work on them digitally for a while with the premise that changes are easier to make digitally than on canvas. You can start a painting in Acrylic on canvas, and then at some point, stop, photograph it and try a couple of different variations digitally. You are more free to try different things digitally, because if they don't work out you can undo, undo, undo.

Davkin
01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
I think there are two issues with digital art, trust and originals.

First trust, there is a ton of art out there advertised as being digital painting when in fact they are just photographs that have been run through filters. With it being so easy to disguise a photo as a painting to the untrained eye there is a trust issue, a person looking at digital art doesn't really know for sure if it's really all the artists own work, or if it's just a modified photo, or if it's just the result of a computer algorithm, just like photography the artist's own skills are in doubt because the tendency is to give the equipment or software the credit.

Second, originals. There simply is no such thing as an original in digital art, at least not in the traditional fine art sense. For some that doesn't matter, for many though it's a big deal, they'll only buy originals, they want that exclusivity or "specialness".

Indeed, some of the problem is just that the fine art world is slow to accept new mediums, but the two big hurdles listed above will always be a problem for broad acceptance of the digital medium IMO.

Ken Doyle
01-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Most modern commercial illustrators work digitally today. Art is a form of communication. The digital tools are just that, tools. You still need to learn all the classical principles related to creating beautiful art and it takes just as long to become proficient and comfortable. The computer does not make things any easier, in fact, due to the abundance of tools available, it can be a much more daunting medium to tackle. There are many sites dedicated to showcasing digital artwork. The results are truly phenomenal for those that are good artists to begin with.

Limited runs of prints from digital files can result in a real world value, as long as the original digital file is not made available in it's actual size online.

Elainepsq
01-10-2016, 03:19 PM
I totally agree with both David and Ken.
There are still people out there that don't understand that all digital art is NOT photoshop. My goal has been to educate the public that digital isn't necessarily easier, faster or dependent on photography.
Last summer at our local county fair, one of my Digital Painting students (art rage) was hung with Arts and Crafts instead of in the Fine Arts category.
I agree that the Fine Art world tends to be cautious in acceptance of new media, but we all should be helping to educate them.

Yorky
01-10-2016, 03:44 PM
But people cheerfully by Giclee prints.

Doug

Davkin
01-10-2016, 04:05 PM
But people cheerfully by Giclee prints.

Doug

Yep, but they don't pay original oil painting prices for them and a computer generated print doesn't get the same respect, it's just a reproduction. That's how many people in the art world tend to view digital.

TBHeART
01-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for your inputs! I have decided to focus on painting, while learning Digital with another piece. I want to try Artrage. Also I figured since all I do is paint hearts (a unique one, I designed) then it may work out. All I do is paint those hearts so hopefully my name will get out there eventually.
I love the feel of a new brush, is like buying a new car sometimes. But it does get messy and space consuming and I have a tiny chinatown, NYC apartment. LOL very excited to try this Artrage stuff out though!

webart
01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Doesn't matter if it was made by hand, digital art isn't as valuable because there is no original that can be purchased. But that doesn't mean that a print of a digital painting costs less than a print of an original. Depends who made it and who want to buy it.

Ken Doyle
01-14-2016, 07:51 AM
I recently heard of one digital illustrator selling prints at 600 dollars a pop.Non limited edition. Another guy I know does large scale limited addition digital canvas prints, and sells 'em for a couple of grand.

Davkin
01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
I recently heard of one digital illustrator selling prints at 600 dollars a pop.Non limited edition. Another guy I know does large scale limited addition digital canvas prints, and sells 'em for a couple of grand.

True, but traditional artists do the same thing plus have an original that is worth much more. I know of one artist selling embellished "giclee's" on canvas for $2000 but the original is $20,000.

LavenderFrost
01-15-2016, 10:30 AM
And I would nearly faint if I could sell anything for $600. Some people have all the luck.

Tonybga
01-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Personally, I could care less what others think of how I create my artwork. But if you're still hesitant to commit fully, then try using digital to work out your prelims (layout, composition, lighting, perspective, etc,) before going to canvas. You'll save time, materials and money.

ArtRage is a very good painting program, but I also recommend you take a look at Manga Studio 5 (under $50). It has a very powerful ink engine and while mostly used by comic book creators, it has so many features that it might inspire you to try something new. Good luck!