PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Portrait

Holley
10-17-2003, 10:26 AM
(Cross post from Portraiture)

Here is my latest commissioned portrait.
This is "Allana" in oil pastel (once again using my cheapos), 11x15 inch on Moonstone coloured Canson paper, smoothside.

If your interested in seeing my Work In Progress on this portrait you can do so by clicking here ....
http://au.photos.yahoo.com/satinlee4

I've never kept a record as I've worked before - I was inspired by other peoples Works in Progress that I thought hey, I should do that.
I wanted to post my WIP on here but my first few scans weren't the greatest so I thought against it.

Anyways thanks for looking :)
- Holley

sundiver
10-17-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm amazed with the fine detail you have with what I call "the big greasy sticks"! I'd love to see a demo from you.

MonicaB
10-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Look at those eyes! Wow. Your wip was very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mo.
10-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Holley.. you absolutely amaze me... how you can work with those cheapo pastels and produce such fine art work as this is beyond me.... you are truly skillful with the OP's..... now what would your work be like with artist quality OP's.... you would knock our socks off!

Superb work.

Mo.:)

Holley
10-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Thank you all for your comments :)
I work with the 'el cheapos' because thats all I have. I can't seem to find myself a set of Oil Pastels in portrait form anywhere in Australia .... help! Perhaps I am not lookin in the right spots :( I really like the brand I use (Micador) as they are so creamy but their largest blocks are a 48 set. Please can someone tell me what's a good brand?
- Holley

Mikki Petersen
10-18-2003, 02:24 AM
Holley...I bow to your majesty! How do you get your likeness do you use any tracing tools or grid work. The likeness is uncanny. And those marvelous eyes. I am in awe of portrait artists in general, but after viewing your WIP, I'm stunned. And in OP's too!

I absolutely hated OP's until I broke down and bought a set of Senneliers. They are very rich and creamy. I will never have the patience to be a good oil pastellist, though. I have seen a number of our OP folks mention the Unison OP's as really excellent but the price sort of chokes me up a little... I too would live to see what you accomplished with some artist grade OP's.

Holley
10-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi 1mpete,
Thanks so much for your kind words.
To get my outline I actually cheat somewhat. I can draw but to save myself time what I do is scan in my photo and blow it up to the size I want and print it out, join it together like a jigsaw puzzle and then trace it. Its from here I erase it so its faint and begin with the op's. This way I get my proportions pretty well right from the start. I mark in the shadows too which makes it easier sometimes.
I do know you can Sennelier's here in Oz, I like the sound of them (creamy). Perhaps I will look into them some more. I would still like a portrait set, I am hoping I can find some. The price thing is a little scary, what I would like to do is try out the pastels before I buy as I dont want to spend heaps of money and find out I hate them, but then you'd think for the price they'd want to be good hey.
Thanks again for your thoughts and advice :)
- Holley

Mikki Petersen
10-19-2003, 12:10 AM
If you can find an art store that carries them open stock, they usually have some scratch paper to test the colors. Better yet, just buy a few colors open stock, (they run about $2.25 US), and play with them. The oil pastels do not seem to come in a very wide range of colors yet. I bought the full set of Senneliers and that was only 102 colors and ten of those are pearlescent(?), where they offer 525 colors in soft pastels.

bnoonan
10-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Holley - I'm going to bump this beauty up to the top - it needs to be seen by everyone.

I too am amazed at the control and detail you capture with oil pastels. the subtle coloring in the skin and those magnificent piercing blue eyes. Fantastic.

Keep them coming.

Barb:clap: :clap: :clap:

Luvy
10-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Wow those eyes are beautiful and so are the lips It's all great *S* LOL :clap: