PDA

View Full Version : Joan's 2016 Sketches

Pages : [1] 2

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe we are in a new year already. I tried really hard to post my December sketches in my previous thread. There are still some I didn't get to post so they will be put here.

Here are some of the other ornaments on my tree. The snowflake is a digital sketch done on my iPad.

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:40 PM
The last trip the NYC Urban Sketchers had in 2015 was to the Union Square Holiday Market. I did a sketch on my iPad while I was on the railroad going into the city. Then I sketched one of the colorful stalls at the market, the entrance to the market, and the Strand Bookstore. We lucked out doing the bookstore because we found a cafe right across the street and were able to sketch from inside.

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:44 PM
After sketching we always go somewhere to share our sketches. That day it was a very loud bar where there were numerous large screen TVs blaring the Steelers football game. We made the most of our time there. I sketched a guy at the next table and a table of Steeler's fans. My last sketch was done on the railroad going home with my iPad.

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:50 PM
It may seem a little strange to sketch in church, but at our church on Christmas Eve you have to get there really early or you don't get a seat. As it was we couldn't get into the upstairs Mass in the church, so I sketched the view before the downstairs Mass started. After Christmas I went out east and found a cute bakery to sketch. I did one regular sketch from my car and one digital sketch inside while I had coffee...no the cookies weren't from the bakery. I baked these.

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I finished 2015 with a sketch of a restaurant in Stony Brook (from the outside), a boat builder's building, and a sp of myself. Now that I'm all caught up, it should be less hectic posting again. :)

Yorky
01-02-2016, 09:22 AM
A wonderful start to the year Joan.

Happy Sketching.

Doug

DrDebby
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Great group of sketches. Looks like your getting good results using the iPad. Yay!

Joan T
01-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Doug. I still try to sketch or paint something every day.

Debby, thanks so much. The iPad is fun but won't replace sketching on paper.

Joan T
01-02-2016, 09:34 PM
The first sketch was my last plein air sketch for 2015. It was down at the local marina that does boat repairs. Often when I pass by they are repainting a boat or two. This one was done on my iPad.

On New Year's Day we had cold weather but I headed over to Robert Moses State Park. It has the best views of the Fire Island Lighthouse, even from the parking lot. I sat in my car to sketch the lighthouse on my iPad and then bundled up for a walk along the boardwalk to the lighthouse and back.

Today's sketch was done at the Smith Point Marina. The bridge crosses from the mainland to the beach area.

vhere
01-03-2016, 06:32 AM
So much work! And I've done so little since before Christmas

DrDebby
01-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Lovely sketches of your local area.

Joan T
01-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks Vivien and Debby!

Yesterday I went to Jersey City with the NYC Urban Sketchers for a workshop. My friend and I went in early so we could sketch something in the area. It was too cold in the morning to work outside, but we found a market that served coffee and had seats with a view by the window. You could see the Manhattan skyline between the buildings.

After the workshop we all ventured out in the cold to sketch down by the water. We only lasted about 45 minutes but it was enough time to get some of the view sketched and colored. Luckily my watercolor paint didn't freeze on the paper. That's happened before. lol

Joan T
01-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Today after errands I wanted to sketch some people. I went to a local McDonald's because you can always find people there and they usually stay put for a little while. I used my iPad today.

Yorky
01-05-2016, 03:28 AM
Lovely sketches Joan, you don't miss a chance.

A sign of the times when the MacDonalds sign gives the calories :)

Incidentally what type of white gel pen do you use, mine are not so opaque or free flowing?

Doug

DrDebby
01-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Great sketches.

Aiylah
01-06-2016, 05:49 AM
Looking good, well done on the iPad ones; I have a drawing app on my phone and it's quite fun to try (while being quite difficult due to the size of the screen and using my finger :D) - always fun to try out new things to sketch with :)

Joan T
01-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Thanks Doug. The sketch of McDonald's is a digital sketch so the white is part of the Artrage program. When I do regular sketching I use Uni-ball Signo. It seems to cover just about anything as long as the paper is dry. You can find them in a lot of places. Here is a link to them on Amazon.
http://http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=uniball+signo+white+pen&sprefix=uniball+signo+white%2Caps%2C159&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Auniball+signo+white+pen

Debby, thank you.

Aiylia, I can't imagine drawing on the phone screen. I have the iPad mini and that is pretty small to work on.

Joan T
01-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Just when I thought I was done with Christmas sketches, a friend invited our sketch group to her house for dinner and to sketch her Christmas decorations while they were still up. I saw this stocking and I just had to sketch it.

Our portrait sketch group met for the first time since the holidays on Tuesday morning. Krystal posed for us.

Joan T
01-09-2016, 10:55 PM
I did do a digital sketch yesterday in a nearby town. It was cold outside so I sat in my car to do this one.

KiwiKate
01-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Wow Joan -- I am inspired!

DrDebby
01-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Wonderful sketches.

robertsloan2
01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Great sketches, Joan. Might be that I'm hungry but those pastries really catch my eye! That and the wonderful outdoor watercolor scene, yikes trying to paint when it's freezing on the paper.

Joan T
01-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Thanks Kate, Debby, and Robert. We've been having some cold weather lately and I'm busy doing the "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge, so my sketching hasn't been as often...but I do get out there a bit.

The other night my sketch group went out. Someone found a nice cafe that was very welcoming. They had coffee, pizza, sandwiches and a wonderful bread counter that I had to sketch.

The house was sketched along the harbor in Port Jefferson...note the sloping side street.

The third sketch was one done down by the ferry terminals in Sayville. I don't think the ferries run very often this time of year, so there wasn't much activity along the street.

Joan T
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM
This is the most recent digital sketch I've done. It is of my sister, Michelle working on her digital sketch. I had just given her a lesson using Artrage.

DrDebby
01-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Great that you are doing a challenge. Glad you are getting some sketching in too. Delightful sketches.

Joan T
01-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Debby!

These two pages were done after I bought an amaryllis bulb. It took me a while to decide if I should plant it. I hope you can read my narration.

Hopefully there will be more journal entries about the amaryllis.

Joan T
01-20-2016, 10:38 PM
These are two sketches I did locally from my car. It has been very cold here so sitting outside hasn't been possible.

Yorky
01-21-2016, 02:36 AM
A change in style Joan. Your sketch lines have largely disappeared.

Doug

eyepaint
01-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Always love your work, Joan :)

The ipad sketches are really good!

Aiylah
01-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Aiylia, I can't imagine drawing on the phone screen. I have the iPad mini and that is pretty small to work on.
Needless to say I was unable to get finer detail in the drawings :lol:

Yours are good though! But I'm loving your watercolours even more! :clap:

DrDebby
01-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Looking forward to the continuing adventures of planting the amaryllis. Lovely sketches from your car.

White Pen
01-21-2016, 04:04 PM
[email protected]

First time looking around , great sketches :thumbsup:

Joan T like the last two icey one on WC .:wink2:

Cheers W.P.

Joan T
01-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Doug, thanks. For most of my sketches I've been sketching directly in ink now. For paintings I still do a pencil sketch first.

Thanks, EP. I'm having fun with the digital sketches, although they take me a lot of time because I'm not that familiar with the program yet.

Thanks so much Aiylah!

Joan T
01-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Debby, I'm just hoping that there are some more entries about the amaryllis...so far nothing has changed.

WP, thanks!!!

Joan T
01-22-2016, 11:13 PM
I did manage to get out and meet my sketch group on Tuesday for a portrait session. Seamus sat for us.

Joan T
01-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Our local arboretum has a great cafe in its manor house. I tucked myself into a corner sort of hiding my sketchpad in my lap with the table blocking it. I'm not sure they approve of people painting in the dining area, but I use a tiny palette and am careful with my water. This is the Hidden Oaks Cafe.

Yorky
01-23-2016, 02:08 AM
Excellent figures Joan.

Doug

DrDebby
01-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Great sketches. Sneaky, sneaky. :clear:

KiwiKate
01-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Love your café! You must work quickly (and stealthily!)!

doug105
01-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Joan T you are a prodigious sketcher!

Batch after batch of wonderful sketches!

What size sketchbooks are you working in these days?

DougN

Joan T
01-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks Doug, Debby & Kate.

Doug, lately more often than not I use a 9 x 12 sketchbook and tape out the shapes for two 5 x 7 sketches per page. I've had several people interested in buying sketches recently so it makes it easier to take them out if I sell them. Also the 5 x 7 size makes it easy to take photos of them to use later for cards.

Here is another digital sketch I did at a local Starbucks.

Joan T
01-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Yesterday was the 50th World Wide SketchCrawl. My urban sketching group usually gets together for the Sketchcrawls but we had a blizzard here in NY and this was what I was faced with when I finally went out this morning. I was determined to do the SketchCrawl anyway, and did it from home while the blizzard was raging outside yesterday. I did my coffee and breakfast. Then I pulled up the blinds in my living room and stood to sketch the view over that pile of snow that you can see in the photo. lol Then I stood with my garage door open to sketch some of the cars in the parking lot in my development.

Yorky
01-24-2016, 03:57 PM
You are a real trooper Joan :) Lovely sketches.

Doug

DrDebby
01-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow! Great sketches under trying circumstances.

eyepaint
01-24-2016, 07:14 PM
What - no colour in the scene with the snow on all the cars? LOL The snow is able to render the world in b&w :)

hobbyartist87
01-25-2016, 12:54 AM
Joan, I have to agree with Doug there about your sketch lines. I prefer the later style of yours more, since the sketches now seem more organic.

Joan T
01-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks Doug, Debby, EP, and Sandra! Sometimes it is a real challenge to work directly in ink...at least for me, but I've been trying to stick with it and I like the results.

Yesterday I finally got out of the house after the snowstorm. I took a walk around my development and stopped in a few spots to do sketches. It was fairly cold out so I took along my Elegant Writer pen which bleeds nicely so I was able to shade the first two sketches. The last one was done mostly with watercolor pencils and my water brush. I was sketching with gloves on...which provide a challenge to make the lines look right. You don't have the same feel of the material. lol

Blooming
01-25-2016, 11:08 PM
I adore your sketching style! Just today I was wondering how the heck to depict snow with pen and ink. This is wonderful!

Yorky
01-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Bravo Joan, sketching in the snow. I found going straight in with ink strangely liberating, you have to concentrate on the basic shapes before going in with details. I found framing the corners of buildings with dots first helped get things in proportion.

Doug

DrDebby
01-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Very brave going out in the snow to sketch. Wonderful sketches of the snow build up.

JTMB
01-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Hi Joan,

I'm back on the site after a couple years' absence, sigh...but better to be back late than not at all I guess. I hope to stay consistently active now. I just went through your thread, and your sketches are just excellent! I'm particularly impressed by your people and the urban sketches. I have so much trouble with quick figures but yours are great. There is an urban sketchers group near where we now live and I need to get out with them and dive in.

Your pen and wash snow turned out really nicely.

Minerva C
01-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Very nice! What brand of watercolour pencils do you use?

Joan T
01-28-2016, 10:12 PM
First here is a house I sketched in Sayville after the snowstorm.

Tuesday both of my art groups had models. In the morning Barry posed for us. I did a portrait and then a quick sketch of him. My evening group also had a model but I didn't catch her name.

Joan T
01-28-2016, 10:14 PM
Last night I met a few friends at a local Starbucks. There is always a supply of models, and the funny thing is the same people are often there on the same night. I did a sketch of the counter with a few people and then a woman working on her computer.

Joan T
01-28-2016, 10:18 PM
For some reason the woman at her computer wouldn't show on the other page, so I'm reposting it. I hope it doesn't show up double.

vhere
01-29-2016, 05:12 AM
Those snow sketches are great!

Joan T
01-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Thaks Vivien. I had to find a way to draw and shade the snow quickly before I got too cold. The ink in the Elegant Writer isn't waterproof and it bleeds in a soft grey-blue, so it worked perfectly.

DrDebby
01-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Great people sketches.

hobbyartist87
01-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Good sketches, Joan. You are able to get the likeness of the show really well in pen and ink.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks Debby and Sandra.

Here is a sketch I did down near a golf course by the water. I wanted to do a sketch there before too much of the snow melted.

The second sketch I did sitting in my car in a small parking lot looking down the street. This is a digital sketch done with ArtRage.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:40 PM
The other night a local restaurant hosted a "Sideshow Burlesque Sketch" event. About 52 people attended and we sketched two models. The woman is a burlesque dancer and the guy works for a carnival-like amusement park. They started with 1, then 5, then 10 minute poses leading up to some 20 minute poses that usually had a contest attached to them. I was there with 7 other people I knew and we had so much fun. I've attended similar sketch events in NYC so I knew what to expect. You have to sketch quickly. I find the easiest materials to use are water-soluble pencils, wc pencils and wc crayons. I'm posting a few of the sketches that don't need me to have that "butt" icon attached to them. lol The woman did get down to pasties and tassels and very skimpy thong undies.

The last sketch is of the woman who was the emcee during a break. She was dressed in vintage clothing and owns a vintage clothing boutique.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:44 PM
I must be a glutton for punishment. I got to bed about midnight and then I was up at 5:45 because my friend and I were meeting the NYC Urban Sketchers at Grand Central Station to sketch on Saturday. lol

I started with a digital sketch on the railroad going into the city. Then I sketched what is probably the most famous spot in Grand Central...the clock in the center. Then one more sketch of the steps and some of the archways.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Lunch was downstairs in the food court and then I stayed down there to sketch. First I sketched people at the shoe-shine and then one of the bakeries that had a counter. The last sketch was of some of the other sketchers across from me at the bar where we went to relax and share our sketches at the end of the day.

Yorky
02-02-2016, 01:21 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, you are on fire!

Doug

DrDebby
02-02-2016, 03:34 PM
What a fun sketch event. Wonderful sketches of people.

Joan T
02-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks Doug and Debby. I had a busy weekend and each even involved a lot of sketching. I was exhausted by Saturday night. lol

On the way to and from the city last weekend I managed to do an iPad sketch going in and a pen sketch coming home.

Joan T
02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Here is a double page spread that I did down by the water at one of the boatyards. It was a Sunday so there was no business going on and I was able to sit there in my car without getting in the way.

One day this week I headed over to the Suffolk County Farm. I was able to sketch one of the cows and a few of the sheep before it started drizzling and I had to leave.

DrDebby
02-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Great sketches. Really like the cow. You got her eyes wonderfully.

Joan T
02-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Debby!

A friend invited our sketch group to her house to sketch her teacup collection the other night. We had ourselves a little tea party with pretty cups, tea to drink, and cookies and lots of talking. Someone asked me how long it took me to sketch all of these, and all I know was we were there for at least 3 hours. Pat has an entire carton of cups with all sorts of different designs. I felt like the "Liz Steel" was coming out of me. lol

vhere
02-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Oh would have loved to have been sketching the burlesque characters!

JTMB
02-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Wonderful sketches, and what a great variety of subjects!!

DrDebby
02-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Lovely tea cups. Sounds like a great time.

hobbyartist87
02-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Good sketches, Joan. Urban sketching looks like it is a lot of fun. Your sketches of people are really good and the sketches of farm animals and tea cups are cute as well.

Joan T
02-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks Vivien, John, Debby, and Sandra!

We had some snow here recently (and again today). I did the first sketch in acrylics while standing on my patio. The trees looked like a winter wonderland. The second watercolor tree sketch was done at a local arboretum while I was sitting in my car.

Joan T
02-08-2016, 10:09 PM
While I was at the arboretum I took my sketchbook, my Elegant Writer pen, and my water brush and went for a walk. Everything looked so pretty covered in snow. It was just warm enough to stand in the snow and sketch without freezing. :)

Yorky
02-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Wow! You had a really good day's sketching.

Doug

laudesan
02-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Joan, your sketches are fabulous. I too used ink and a waterbrush today. It is a lot of fun.

I love each and every one of your sketches. You should be proud!! :)

DrDebby
02-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Great snow sketches. Very brave of you to do so when it's so cold.

Joan T
02-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks Doug, JJ, and Debby. I always see snowy scenes that I want to sketch but it is usually too cold. The water freezes in the water brush. lol

On Sunday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Winter Garden/Brookfield Place in Downtown Manhattan. It had been decorated with a beautiful installation of luminaries similar to those in Thailand. The lanterns changed colors throughout the day, so each sketch I did looked a little different. We were happy to be joined by some of the Urban Sketchers Board of Directors who were in town for meetings over the weekend. We have sketched in a variety of indoor locations, but this was the first place where security came over and told us we couldn't "sketch the structure" of the building. They didn't stop people from taking photos, but said something to us. lol

Anyway, for my first sketch I did include a bit of the structure because the arched windows just make the scene so much better. The first sketch was done directly in watercolors. All the other sketches have ink added. There was also a lovely pastry shop that I sketched...much less calories than going inside and buying something. :)

Yorky
02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
What a wonderful time you had Joan. Beautiful sketches.

Doug

KiwiKate
02-10-2016, 01:05 AM
Love these! I am in awe of your talent and dedication.

Aiylah
02-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Love your dedication to your sketches, braving the cold and being up at 5:45 :D The snow ones have turned out incredibly well!

DrDebby
02-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Cool that the lanterns changed color as the day went by. Great sketches. Weird about security singling out sketchers, but not photographers.

Joan T
02-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Doug. It seems like when I go out with the group I always get a lot done...and we are usually someplace really interesting.

Kate, thanks. I'm glad you enjoy seeing my sketches.

Aiylah, thanks so much. If I haven't sketched something each day I feel like something is missing. lol

Debby, it seemed like a strange policy to me. lol The lanterns were really so pretty. Apparently there were locations where you could make a wish and have the colors change. I was too busy sketching to look for it. Thanks!

Joan T
02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Yesterday I went to a local park to sketch the snow while it was still around. I was so lucky to see a skier putting on his cross-country skis at the car next to me...and then off he went. I did this one sitting in my car.

DrDebby
02-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Wonderful sketch.

Joan T
02-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Believe it or not I didn't go out to sketch today. Presently it is 10 degrees fahrenheit here (-12 celcius) and is supposed to get even colder by tomorrow. That is rare for here. I decided I didn't need to go anywhere and did work and art around my apartment.

The other day I needed to have my car inspected and to buy tires. While I was there I sketched on my iPad.

Joan T
02-13-2016, 06:30 PM
A few friends and I went to Starbucks the other night to sketch. It is the perfect place to find models. lol

DrDebby
02-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Great sketches.

Joan T
02-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks Debby!

I did a few sketches of food recently. It is hard to sketch first when you're hungry.

DrDebby
02-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Having never tried sketching before eating, I can only imagine. Great food sketches.

hobbyartist87
02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Great recent sketches Joan. I like the sketches with the waterbrush and think those look intriguing.

What paper or sketchbook are you using for these sketches?

Joan T
02-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks Debby and Sandra. I'm usually too hungry to stop and sketch immediately. lol Luckily my husband eats slower than I do and there is still food around to sketch.

Maya was our model recently and I was able to do a portrait of her and then a quick sketch. Looking back at both of these I think I made her shoulders too narrow for her head. She was very thin but these look a bit off.

Joan T
02-21-2016, 06:35 PM
I visited a local tea shop the other day. It was one of our frigid days and there weren't too many people at the tasting counter. I ordered a cup of "chocolate toffee tisane" which was delicious. I asked if I could sit and sketch while I sipped and the owner was thrilled to let me sketch and told me all about how she got interested in selling teas. I sketched the pastries she had on the table...but only had tea.

hobbyartist87
02-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Joan, these are beautiful and inspiring sketches. I love the bakery sketch and how you are able to retain the inherent transparency of watercolors in your sketches.

I think one of the things that turn me off or on various media is the transparency of a particular media and I like how I am somewhat able to achieve that in colored pencils but not fully.

DrDebby
02-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Great sketches.

White Pen
02-22-2016, 06:49 PM
[email protected]

Cool sketches :thumbsup:

Like the food stuff you do!

pasties & sketching a good concept :lol: not for me.. why read.

I'm always lost in my pastry shop , i can´t do the painting first and than eat the cake , i´m always eating the cake first and painting empty plates.So i stopped the empty plate sketching and paint waterscapes instead.
Ps.: I like beers and wine so i left the water beside to paint.

Cheers W.P.

Joan T
02-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Sandy, thanks! I've never worked in colored pencils. I would think it would be hard to get a transparent look.

Thank you, Debby.

WP - Thanks. LOL I sit as far away in the pastry shop as possible so I don't get in trouble.

Here are a few outdoor sketches in assorted mediums.

Joan T
02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
I've been looking for some indoor locations to sketch like cafes and bakeries. At the cafe I sketched some of the accumulation of materials both food and materials that my friends and I were using.

KiwiKate
02-22-2016, 09:26 PM
I love all of your sketches. The seascape is FABULOUS!

DrDebby
02-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Lots of cool sketches.

Vivien Maloney
02-25-2016, 01:03 AM
Hi there Joan, how are you. :wave:
Oh yum, those food sketches...made me hungry just looking at them! :thumbsup:

JTMB
02-25-2016, 11:35 PM
I really like the snow scenes, but the stunner of the lot to me is the seascape - beautiful!

hobbyartist87
02-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Cool seascape Joan.

With colored pencils I find as long as I don't go too heavy with the layers (as long as I don't do impasto-like layers) there is still transparency with certain kinds.

laudesan
02-28-2016, 12:21 AM
I love your work Joan. You are so versatile.

Joan T
02-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks so much everyone!!!!

These sketches were done in Port Jefferson. The first one was done from my car and the second one while I enjoyed a cup of coffee at the boulangerie.

Joan T
02-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Back about a month ago I posted a few pages from journal about my amaryllis. It has been about a month and it has finally started to sprout leaves from the center. It started sprouting just in time for me to leave for a workshop in Myrtle Beach. I hope it survives while I'm gone.

KiwiKate
02-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Lovely sketches Joan. And of course you know that the Amaryllis will choose to bloom the next time you have to leave home for a spell. :cat:

DrDebby
02-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Amaryllis are just that way. :lol: Great sketches.

laudesan
03-01-2016, 01:42 AM
:thumbsup:

vhere
03-01-2016, 06:46 AM
i hope you carry on sketching it til it flowers :)

Joan T
03-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Here are a few sketches done out along a barrier beach in the Hamptons.

Joan T
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
One of my local art groups was doing an ATC exchange at our monthly meeting. I did some with a gelli plate print as the background.

Joan T
03-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Here are some portrait and sketches from two different model sittings.

DrDebby
03-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Great variety of sketches.

Joan T
03-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Debby, thanks!!!

Here are a few local sketches.

Joan T
03-25-2016, 10:28 PM
At the beginning of the month my sister and I took a workshop down in Myrtle Beach. We were busy all week so we stayed an extra day to have time to go out somewhere to do some sketching. These were done in Georgetown, SC. "Big Tuna" is a restaurant there that is right on the water. We had lunch there after we finished the sketches. Then we sat in a park and sketched the entrance to another restaurant. The last sketch was done of a restaurant along the marsh walk at Murrell's Inlet.

Yorky
03-26-2016, 02:44 AM
These are wonderful sketches Joan. You are very productive, and very quick.

Doug

DrDebby
03-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Great sketches. You must have been hungry sketching all those restaurants. :)

Joan T
03-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks Doug and Debby! I mostly sketch the restaurants from the outside...much better for my figure. :cat:

Here are a few recent portraits and a digital sketch of my sister in bed at the hotel on our way down to our workshop in Myrtle Beach.

Joan T
03-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Here is an update on my amaryllis. Since I sketch this the leaves are now close to 2 feet long, but there is no stem or bloom.:(

Next are two local sketches, one of a coffee shop we sketch at often (usually from the inside) and the other of a dock along one of the creeks coming off the bay.

JTMB
03-27-2016, 12:27 AM
You've been busy since I last checked in - very prolific with your sketches! Being the bird guy, my favorite is the osprey nest pole, complete with an Osprey!

Joan T
03-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks, John. I'm glad you appreciated the osprey nest.

Here are a few more sketches from my area done on days when the weather was mild enough to sit outdoors. Yay!!! The first is of an antique store in Sayville which I have wanted to sketch for a while. The second was done from a park across from this house in Roslyn.

Joan T
03-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Keith posed for one of my art groups the other day. I've been experimenting with colors for skin tones since the workshop I did and I think they are looking better.

Joan T
03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Panera Bread is a great place to sketch people when the weather outside isn't nice enough to sit outside with my group on Wednesday nights. this lady attracted the attention of all four of us who were sketching. I think she reminded us all of our grandmas with her topnot and grey hair.

Yorky
03-28-2016, 01:20 AM
These are wonderful sketches Joan :clap:

Doug

vhere
03-28-2016, 05:44 AM
such a feel of place :)

DrDebby
03-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Delightful sketches.

hobbyartist87
03-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Really nice sketches, Joan. It is always pleasant when the weather is nice enough to sketch outside.

Joan T
03-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks Doug, Vivien, Debby, and Sandra!

I went up to Port Jefferson the other day to see an art show and then I wanted to sketch the tugboat that is near the ferries. Unfortunately they were working on the parking lot and the dock and there was no place to sit where I had a view. I settled for this boat instead.

The second sketch was done while my husband and I were waiting for our meal at a local restaurant.

Joan T
03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Before Easter I headed out east to some of the flower farms. Since Easter was so early most of them weren't even opened. I did find the Jamesport Country Store with a nice display of Easter plants outside.

Riding around I stopped to do a digital sketch of one of the barns I passed.

DrDebby
03-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Great group of sketches.

hobbyartist87
03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Great sketches, Joan. The sketch of the barn looks so watercolor-like. Great job on these.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks Debby and Sandra.

These were done on a trip to NYC. I like sketching on the Long Island Railroad but there is a noticeable vibration that makes my ink sketches look too ragged sometimes. So I did one sketch in ink and one in pencil.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:25 AM
I was meeting the NYC Urban Sketchers but not until 11AM. I like to get into the city early since it is such a distance from me. If I'm going in I want to be there for the whole day. I got in at 9 and had lots of time to have breakfast at Central Market in Penn Station and do an ink sketch and a digital sketch before heading uptown.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Our sketch location was the Jewish Museum at 93rd St & Fifth Avenue. They were having an exhibit of the fashions of Isaac Mizrahi so I sketched one of the pieces. Since it was a Jewish museum I looked for some items that were typical. I found some pots, a menorah, and a scroll case. Most of the items were too ornate or too small to try to sketch.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:32 AM
We left the museum to get lunch and it seemed warm enough to sit out and sketch, so I joined a few other sketchers to draw some of the museums in that area which is called "Museum Mile." I love the curved lines of the Guggenheim and without even moving my chair I was able to sketch the National Academy Museum. By the time I did the two sketches the sun had moved and I was shivering, so I headed back to Penn Station.

Joan T
04-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Back in Penn Station I stopped for a coffee and a few sketches, and then finished with a sketch on the railroad going home. It was a productive day.

DrDebby
04-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a productive day. Great group of sketches.

Glynda B.
04-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Joan, you always have such great sketches to show. Your flower shops and cafes are such fun to look at. I really admire your work and your persistence in staying with your art. Keep it up!

Joan T
04-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks Debbie and Glynda! I'm glad you are enjoying seeing these.

It may be Spring but our weather has not been springlike at all. We had a bit of snow last week and even though it melted quickly I had to go out and find somewhere to sketch it from the car. The second sketch is of downtown Sayville. If I can find a spot along the street there is always a view to capture.

Joan T
04-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Some Tuesdays two of my art groups have portrait sessions...one in the morning and one in the evening. I managed a small painting of Seamus (who poses often for us) and then a quick sketch of him too. That evening one of my artist friends, Susan, posed for the other group. She is probably the most dramatic and lively person I know so it was funny to see her sit perfectly still.

Joan T
04-07-2016, 05:12 PM
I always find a house to sketch somewhere when I'm riding around. This one was in Bay Shore. Like many of the locations I sketch at, this was by the water and almost every house seems to have a boat (or two) on their property. Most are still covered from the winter.

DrDebby
04-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Wonderful sketches of you area and great portraits.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-10-2016, 11:02 PM
I especially like the one at the beginning of this thread with the snow on the roof with the raw sienna colored house. You have captured the mood and local color of the area in a very respectable manner! Nice job hey! Keep it up!

Joan T
04-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Thanks Debbie and Deborah!

I bought a lily plant for Easter and did a digital sketch of it.

The two barn sketches were done up near Monroe, NY. My sister and I take part in an art show up there every year and the day we pick up the paintings we usually go and sketch a few barns in the area. These were done from the car.

Joan T
04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
One of the local towns here had a Crazy Easter Bonnet and Hat Parade right before Easter. I stood and sketched some of the people that were waiting to take part. At the end the Easter Bunny posed with the kids for photos. Of course I sketched it.

Joan T
04-12-2016, 05:14 PM
The antique store is a spot I've wanted to sketch for a while. I didn't think there was a spot to park my car, but I did find a place. Unfortunately it was closed that day so the usually assortment of dodads that usually grace the front of the building were missing. I'll have to go back again.

The last two sketches were done in the local Starbucks on our sketch night recently. It is still too cold to sit outside so we resorted to an indoor location...again!

DrDebby
04-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Sorry it's still too cold to sketch outside. Your sketches are delightful as always.

Joan T
04-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Seems to be warming up this week. Thanks Debby.

Both of these sketches were done down by the water in Babylon. I just loved the deli and fishing supply shop. The second sketch was done at an intersection with lots of parked cars. It was fun to keep sketching back into the scene.

Joan T
04-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Every April I participate with Roz Stendhal and a group of artists in International Fake Journal Month. We pretend to be someone else and step into that character's life for the month. I'm doing a journal as Alicia who is an oceanographer at my imaginary aquarium. Here are the first few pages from the journal. I'm doing research on the creatures and sea life in different aquariums and focusing on some of them on each page.

So far I've been able to get each page done on time, which is surprising since we are in the midst of a health problem with my father-in-law. He isn't doing well and my husband and I are spending a lot of time with him. He is taking pain med so he is sleeping a lot. While he sleeps I've been working on my journal.

doug105
04-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Nice fake journal Joan! Keep the entries coming!

I remember a couple of years ago you did one about a feather, didn't you?

DougN

DrDebby
04-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Delightful journal. I forgot about the April Fake Journal this year. Glad to see your take on it this year and looking forward to seeing more. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Sending you good thoughts.

vhere
04-15-2016, 04:39 AM
fun :) being able to do this helps keep you sane through the bad times doesn't it?

Aiylah
04-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Hi Joan! The fake journal looks great, I remember you bringing it up previously on this forum, such a fun idea to try and play with new ideas.
Love the detail on all your sketches, a few pages back you posted a page with a teaset, some cups and saucers, though I had seen that page last time already I went back over this thread to jog my memory and it stood out to me particularly this time! Very fine detail :)

Joan T
04-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks Doug, Debby, Vivien, and Aiylah! Yes, having things to sketch helps keep me sane sometimes. Also it is good to have sketching stuff to work with somewhere when you have a lot of time is a good use of the time. I've been working on the fake journal a lot when we are here and my FIL is asleep.

Joan T
04-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Here are a few more pages from the aquarium journal.

Joan T
04-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Every once in a while I work on my iPad to do a sketch. This first one was done at an urgent care facility while I was waiting for them to check out a severe pain in my arm. I was able to sketch as long as my hand was in my lap. Turns out I have bursitis in my shoulder. They gave me meds that took care of it for now.

The flowers were a gift from my husband. I usually sketch them so they last a little longer. :)

Yorky
04-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, I love your aquarium journal.

Sorry about you bursitis, a real handicap for a sketcher, hope the neds work.

Doug

DrDebby
04-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Sorry about bursitis. Lovely pages in your aquarium journal. Great hubby to get you flowers.

Joan T
04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Thanks so much Doug and Debby!

Here are a few more pages from my "fake" journal.

Joan T
04-18-2016, 11:13 PM
The first sketch is of a local bridge by the water. The next three sketches were done at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. The day started out cold so we went into the greenhouse to sketch. Later in the day it was warm enough to sit outside and sketch the trees.

pjartwc
04-19-2016, 04:50 AM
Fantastic!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Great group of sketches. Looks like your getting good results using the iPad. Yay!
I wish that people wouldn't be as drawn to someone with a sketchpad as they are. They know it's rude to stare at someone's Ipad when they are working, yet they always seem to think that it's OK to look over an artist's shoulder and ask questions and interrupt them while they are at work on something. With watercolor you can get rid of them if you don't want them around by shaking out your wet brush as you change colors. Then say sorry, it's part of the process.. must have a clean brush or the color gets muddy! This usually gets them to move off and observe at a distance, not mouth breathing over your shoulder!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
All of these are lovely landscapes and the one of the bridge and The tree in blossom are quite nicely rendered!

Joan T
04-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks Jan & Deborah.

Here are the next few installments in my "fake" journal.

Joan T
04-19-2016, 12:57 PM
We had a carnival that was setting up in town for the weekend. I sat in my car and sketched two of the rides while there were no people. Of course they decided to do a test run on the one with the cabs up in the air while I was sketching.:(

DrDebby
04-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Delightful fake journal. Enjoying your days.

Glynda B.
04-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Joan, I'm really enjoying your sketches. Your aquarium journal makes it seem like I'm there. I think you do such wonderful work. Do take care of that bursitis. It can be rough. Sending you and your family all the best as you take care of your FIL. Glynda

Joan T
04-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks Debby and Glynda!

Here are a few more pages from my "fake" journal.

DrDebby
04-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Great pages. Love the otter.

Joan T
04-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks Debby!

Here are two recent digital sketches.

Joan T
04-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Here is a sketch done at a local park and then a few more pages for my "fake" journal about the aquarium.

DrDebby
04-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Wonderful sketches.

Joan T
04-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Thanks Debby.

I was out with sketching friends the other night along a waterway from the bay. There is this great house with a boathouse attached. Imagine driving your boat in and lifting it up out of the water. lol

The trees here have been in bloom lately. I was afraid that the frost we had a few weeks ago killed off the blossoms but some of them bounced back well.

Joan T
04-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Here are the next 3 pages in my "fake" aquarium journal.

Yorky
04-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Your journal pages get better and better Joan.

Doug

DrDebby
04-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Really enjoying your fake journal. Excellent job.

JTMB
04-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Very impressive work since I last checked in. I admire both your prodigious output and the complexity of a number of your sketches. Very nice! Good luck with your bursitis. I had rotator cuff surgery in my right (dominant) arm in October of 2013, and that basically stopped my art activities for a couple months. It's perfectly fine now, however, so it was worth the process.

hobbyartist87
04-29-2016, 12:43 AM
It is interesting to see you do another fake journal, Joan. Your digital sketches are lovely. I am looking forward to seeing more sketches of yours.

Munin Raven
05-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Wow. Seriously nice work. The fake journal pages are a real delight. The aqua framing really helps tie them all together. :thumbsup:

Glynda B.
05-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Joan, you are sailing along with that aquarium journal. I'm in love with your otter. What a cutie you made him. The scenes around town are so lovely. I enjoy visiting your world through your scenes. Hope you are feeling better.

laudesan
05-04-2016, 09:02 AM
I absolutely love your work Joan and love following you on Flickr

Joan T
05-18-2016, 09:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to upload my journal pages in quite a while. Life got in the way with the death of my FIL, company visiting in the city, a graduation, etc. Once I get out of the routine of posting it is hard to get back.

These were done with the NYC Urban Sketchers in the Washington Square area.

Joan T
05-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Here are the next several pages from my "fake" aquarium journal.

Joan T
05-18-2016, 09:35 PM
And the last of the "fake" journal pages are here.

vhere
05-19-2016, 05:13 AM
The one of the old Ale House is particularly good :)

DrDebby
05-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your FIL. My sympathy to you and your family. The fake journal entries are delightful.

Joan T
05-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks Vivien and Debby.

I know I'm crazy but as soon as I finished my fake journal it was time for EDM (Every Day in May). We were given a list of items one for each day of the month. Here are the first 4.

Joan T
05-19-2016, 04:27 PM
This man was in McDonald's when we were having breakfast one morning. The second sketch was done on the Long Island Railroad going into NYC to meet an internet friend from Australia. I was listening to the conversation between this group and the rest of their crew who were seated across from them. It turned out that they also were visiting from Australia. The man on the end thought I was sketching them and then was sure when a lady sat down next to me (with a booming voice) and started talking about my sketch and art... It was a dead giveaway. The people asked to see it, were really excited about it and took photos of it to take back home with them. Apparently nobody ever sketched them before. lol Maybe it made their trip a little more exciting.

Joan T
05-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Like I said, my friend, Wendy Barrett was visiting NYC from Australia. We had never met before but she wanted to get together and sketch with me and the NYC Urban Sketchers. I met her in the lobby of her hotel near Times Square. That was our destination for sketching that first day. Rain was threatening and it was wise to sketch early in the day because we went to lunch when we were done and it was already drizzling. We spent the rest of the day at MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art) and had a fantastic day together. She was going to be in NYC for 2 weeks so we planned more time together.

Here is my finished sketch, a photo of the two of us sketching (I'm on the right side) and our sketches.

Joan T
05-19-2016, 04:39 PM
On the way home from the city I sketched two men on the train. I think at least one of them was deaf because they were signing.

The flowers were from arrangements that we received after my FIL passed away. I was surrounded by flowers for a while. These are digital sketches using ArtRage.

DrDebby
05-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Amazing body of work. Great that you were able to meet up with your friend.

Glynda B.
05-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Joan, I was sorry to hear about the passing of your FIL.

You have some wonderful sketches here. I was particularly taken by the family spending the night at the aquarium. What a treat for kids! I loved the floral bouquets too.

White Pen
05-21-2016, 10:54 AM
[email protected]

Joan great Images from the T.Square :thumbsup: .
Love the Idea NY sketch walks.:)

A old friend was the former Executive Chef of MOMA s Top Restaurant "The Modern" , since 2015 he opens now @ W42nd st. " Gabriel Kreuther " here the link (http://www.gknyc.com/)

This would be , think about meeting old friends for food & for sketching and visiting MOMA NY for 2017.

Cheers W.P.

Joan T
05-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Thank you Debby, Glynda, and White Pen!

Thanks to everyone for your condolences on the loss of my FIL too.

One rainy day I just had to get out to sketch so I headed to the mall and the food court. I think almost every mall has a similar person handing out tastes.

Here is the next group of EDM sketches. All of them were sketched from life.

Joan T
05-21-2016, 05:17 PM
I made a second trip to sketch with my friend Wendy and the NYC Urban Sketchers. Unfortunately rain was forecast so we met inside at Grand Central Terminal. It is a good indoor location (if you have to be inside) with quite a few different views. I did a digital sketch on the Long Island Railroad going into the city. Inside the terminal The "I Love NY" info booth caught my eye, then the clock in the center of the terminal, and one of the trains waiting to depart. While I was sketching the train another train pulled in on the other side of the platform and all the passengers got off heading straight for me. Luckily they noticed me on my stool and walked around me. I was concerned for a while. :)

Glynda B.
05-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Joan, I love your travel sketches. They always make me feel a little like I'm on a trip too. The last two I really liked.

hobbyartist87
05-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Good sketches Joan.

Aiylah
05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Love how the fake journal developed (and must add, I love your handwriting!). Sorry to hear of your recent loss. But, great recent sketches and looks like you had a fun meetup. Great to share with the like-minded :)

Joan T
05-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks Glynda, Sandra and Aiylah.

My next sketch location was back in the city at Bethesda Fountain in Central Park. It was organized by the weekday NYC Urban Sketchers. I met Wendy from Australia again and we joined the group. It was a lot of fun! I also did a few sketches on the train, but I was on a different train line and the seat configuration isn't as conducive to sketching.

Joan T
05-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Here is another group of sketches that I did for Every Day in May.

DrDebby
05-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Great sketches. Love the water bucket.

Joan T
05-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Debby. I had a hard time getting the water bucket to actually stand up. I had to put something inside to fill it out. I guess I won't be using it for water. It would keep falling over. lol

It finally got nice enough that my sketch group that meets in the evening was able to sit outside and sketch at a small local park. Then I sketched another tree in bloom before they were all gone. The third sketch was done from my car at a local nursery. I planned to sit outside and sketch but it started to drizzle. My car wasn't facing the best view but I sketched what was there anyway.

Joan T
05-30-2016, 08:37 PM
EDM continued with these items.

Joan T
05-30-2016, 08:45 PM
A few weeks ago my niece, Caity, was graduating from Smith College in Massachusetts. I drove up to spend 2 days with some of my family (who I hadn't seen since last summer). It was a fun time, and I didn't get to sketch much. The morning of the graduation I brought along my sketchpad because I knew we were getting there really early to get good seats. I made good use of the nearly 2 hours to sketch the dias where the graduates would get their diplomas and the building behind the stage. Then I sketched the people sitting right in front of us for a foreground, leaving a space for the graduates. Those I put in quickly when they first sat down and then I finished the sketch later in the day so I could watch the ceremony. I included one graduation hat with writing on to represent Caity, whose hat said "Can I take a nap now?" Here is a photo of her. She is too funny.

DrDebby
06-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Congrats to your niece. Great group of sketches.

Scattykat
06-02-2016, 07:38 AM
...so many wonderful sketches. Always love your flowery ones, esp like those boots, and the water fountain. Bravo on all 👍🏼

Joan T
06-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Debby and Kat, thanks so much!

This first sketch was done at a local garden center from the car before I went in and bought plants for my patio. The second one was done while waiting for my husband at the airport.

Joan T
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Here are the next sketches done for EDM...a drawer pull, a paint tube, and a free drawer of the dunes.

Joan T
06-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Here is another dune view and some people who kindly modeled at the beach.

Yorky
06-03-2016, 02:55 AM
I love your people sketches Joan.

Doug

vhere
06-03-2016, 06:23 AM
another evocative series :) brrr that grey sea looks chilly! maybe not?

DrDebby
06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
How considerate of them to model for you. :) Great sketches.

Joan T
06-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Doug, thank you.

Vivien, thanks. Surprisingly enough the ocean doesn't seem to fee quite as cold as it usually is at this time of year...maybe because we had such a milder winter. I usually can't even put my feet in yet, and I already have stood up to my calves. lol Maybe I'll actually get into the water before the 4th of July. :lol:

Here is the next group of Every Day in May sketches.

Joan T
06-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Saville beach is always a fun place to sketch.

My art group had Katie as a model one night.

Joan T
06-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Here are two more EDM sketches.

Joan T
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM
One evening a few sketch friends and I went to something called "A Taste of Patchogue." It was a charity fundraiser and local restaurants had booths serving food. You paid to get in and then ate and drank for free. It sounded good but was so crowded you spent much too much time standing on long lines for food. I got a few food samples and we sketched them and then ate each one in turn. lol It was easier to sketch some of the people hanging around listening to the music. Some stayed put long enough and some of course left before we were finished.

Glynda B.
06-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Hope this doesn't get posted twice. Joan, your sketches always please. I love the sketches you do while waiting in lines, etc. I had to laugh at your watermelon. Mine usually looks the same with splashes of sticky watermelon juice everywhere. Splashes add something to your sketch; my splashes from my watermelon just mean I stick to everything. Thanks for sharing.

DrDebby
06-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Delightful sketches.

Joan T
06-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Glynda - Thanks. Maybe I should have splashed the watermelon juice instead. LOL

Thanks, Debby.

I did a digital sketch of the dunes at the beach and then a few more sketches for EDM.

Joan T
06-08-2016, 04:29 PM
This group was done over several days at the beach. In the second sketch the man has no head because he looked like he would be sleeping for a while. I started at his feet and sketched all the details up to his shoulder and then he woke up and left. How dare he!!! LOL That's the hazard of drawing people.

DrDebby
06-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Of all the nerve! :lol: Great sketches.

Munin Raven
06-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Beer bellies & bees, haha. Lots of great additions here. Love those dappled trees in post #216 :thumbsup:

Joan T
06-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks Debby and Munin.

Here are my last few sketches for Every Day in May.

Joan T
06-10-2016, 05:39 PM
I tend to sketch my food sometimes...like this lobster.

We had a carnival locally. It was a drizzly day and sort of cold. There weren't too many people but I liked the colorful rides.

Joan T
06-10-2016, 05:41 PM
One of my art groups is having an ATC swap at the end of the month, so when I was at the beach recently I did a few quick sketches of the landscapes.

Yorky
06-11-2016, 01:22 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, love the lobster.

Doug

vhere
06-11-2016, 09:02 AM
nice series that are so evocative of the mood of the place

DrDebby
06-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Marvelous group of sketches.

Joan T
06-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Doug and Debby, thanks so much.

This first sketch was done in downtown Sayville.

The ink sketches have a story. Sayville is having a garden tour and they invited artists to come and paint in the 6 gardens that are part of the tour. They hand out a small brochure with information about the gardens, the artists, etc. and always ask us to do small sketches ahead of time to go into the brochure. I was able to make visits to three of the gardens ahead of time, and did these.

Joan T
06-13-2016, 10:06 PM
The Portly Village is a restaurant/bar in Sayville. When I passed it looked so patriotic that I just had to stop and sketch it.

The second sketch was done down by Sayville beach and is ATC sized.

Joan T
06-13-2016, 10:09 PM
People are always fun to sketch. I did the first two sketches at the food court of the mall. Of course the third one was done at the beach.

DrDebby
06-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Wonderful variety of sketches. How fun to be part of the garden tour.

Glynda B.
06-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Joan, your sketches show so much of your varied and active life. I never tire of seeing where you've gone and what you've seen and done. Thanks for sharing all of it with us. I thought the sketch of the restaurant was really colorful and fun.

Munin Raven
06-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Great landscapes, and the colour palette of the lobster is superb.

Joan T
07-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

The first sketch was done at a local coffee & tea shop, Roast.

The other two sketches are ACT sized done for a trade my art group was doing.

Joan T
07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Here are two more ATCs and one beach sketch.

Joan T
07-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I met up with the NYC Urban Sketchers to sketch the views from Jersey City across to the city...and a hot dog cart too.

Joan T
07-10-2016, 06:52 PM
On the way to the city I did a few sketches on the Long Island Railroad. I also threw in a quick self-portrait that I did for one of the Scavenger Hunts here on WetCanvas.

Yorky
07-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, I love the iconic views of NYC.

Doug

DrDebby
07-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Wonderful sketches.

Joan T
07-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks so much Doug and Debbie!

Here are a few flowers that are ATC sized.

Joan T
07-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Here are a few sketches done at or near the beach (like Flo's).

Joan T
07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
These were done at the NY Botanical Garden. There is a special impressionist exhibit going on with an indoor garden planted to resemble what gardens were like at that time, an exhibit of impressionist painting, and an invitational plein air paintout with some painters from all over the US and Canada. We spent a lot of time watching Shari Blaukopf and James Gurney painting, so I only got two sketches done that day...one of the view along the Bronx River which runs through the park, and another of the rose garden looking in. (I was hiding in the shade outside one of the gates.)

DrDebby
07-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Marvelous sketches.

Joan T
07-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks Debbie! I keep falling so far behind posting. lol

Here are a few people sketches. The first two were done at the Nissan Service Center while I was waiting for work to be finished on the car. The last one is a beach scene.

Joan T
07-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Here are a few sketches of the local marsh area by the bay.

Joan T
07-12-2016, 09:32 PM
I did a trip to Coney Island with a few sketching friends. It is an active destination with rides, amusements, restaurants, the beach, and an assorted array of characters walking along the boardwalk. I did a sketch of Nathan's which is famous for their hot dogs (and their 4th of July hotdog eating contest), a view down the boardwalk, the people at the Freak Bar, the Wonder Wheel, and some people on the train.

Yorky
07-13-2016, 01:15 AM
They get better and better Joan :clap:

Doug