PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost January 2016

robertsloan2
01-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Welcome to The Goalpost! Goal setting is fantastic for organizing your creative work, motivating yourself to new growth and accomplishments and measuring how far you've come. Sometimes it's hard to sense the results of all your cumulative progress, but setting daily, weekly, monthly goals and meeting them makes it possible to recognize how much you've done.

Goal setting is also great for morale. It's one sure way to tell that you're improving your art. When you measure by quantity rather than quality, practice grows your skills fast with far less effort.

Ari Cat purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration!

Your goals can be any scale you want - monthly goals are very useful to pace your life overall, but longer goals like seasonal ones or annual can be accomplished in stages. Daily painting as a goal has kept me active and growing for a long time, but others with busier lives may want weekly painting or some other arrangement. Set your own goals to suit your time, pace and inclination.

Of course, this is January, so Happy New Year! Annual goals tend to appear at the top of January because it's the custom, so post your art goals, life goals and progress here! Happy Holidays!

robertsloan2
01-01-2016, 10:13 AM
My goals for January 2016 -

Leslie Saeta 30 in 30 Challenge, daily painting. If I don't succeed in that, eh, I just moved and need to finish moving into Rose Cottage. I'm about a week away from actually getting in there and lots still needs to be done.

So that's my only two January goals. Moving In and Daily Art.

Unpacking and organizing my studio is an ongoing one that'll take more than one month.

Annual goal for 2016: Prepare for my great Retirement Comeback starting in December when I turn 62 and can shift over to old age Social Security. That can be supplemented with art sales. So this year's goal is to prepare for it - visit galleries, build up a nice body of salable works, get better at painting horses since I have a natural audience of horse owners riding around with my farrier daughter Kitten. It's good and vague, any progress toward it will make a better 2017 than not.

I'll also eat more bacon, enjoy smoking, pet cats and otherwise thoroughly indulge myself. Drink alcohol more often! Yeah! (Social drinker with more of a social life this year. lol)

Judibelle
01-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Sounds great, Rob! So glad to hear you are doing well.

I really lost December....too much other stuff going on. But hope to get back on track now.
Goals for January....resist hibernating and take part in more social activities
get back to painting: sketch daily
one Spotlight
clean up and reorganize my art workspace
continue to watch art videos and apply what I learn
That should keep me busy!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Dougwas
01-01-2016, 12:47 PM
I am happy you are back with family, Robert, and everything is going well for you. It must be a huge relief. Great goals! It always takes a while to find things when you move and I bet you find things that you think you lost. lol Have fun with the 30 in 30 challenge!

Hibernating time is over, Judi! Let 2016 begin with a bang! If you paint or sketch daily, it will become a habit and part of your every day routine. Good luck with your goals!

Happy New Year to all my fellow goalies! I hope this year is kind to you all!

My goals for January 2016 are:

1) Take part in Leslie Saeta's Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge. I plan on doing 30 paintings, but if I get to twenty I will chalk it up as a win.

2) Keep my new Facebook page up to date. I just started it yesterday and it is a place where I plan on posting all my work. Here is the link if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/Doug-Wasilieff-Fine-Art-1860338590859080/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

3) Join the local chapter and the parent chapter of Federation of Canadian Artists. Work on preparing a portfolio so I can submit it to the jury to become an Active member which would allow me to enter shows. This will be an on going goal over the next six months.

4) Keep up my program for managing my chronic pain. I have found something that works for me and should clear the way for a successful year.

Thanks for reading my mess! :)

Doug

robertsloan2
01-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Great goals, Judi. Daily painting is a good one, everything else is improved by that.

Doug, liked your new Facebook page and its header art, gorgeous painting. Thanks for the link!

I didn't put Spotlight on my goals but I always do one and did just download all the photos so yeah, it'll probably happen. Did today's art, now just need to get the Kindle linked to the new machine and download all the photos, process today's art in Gimp and prepare to post. This could take me a while, but at least I have through tomorrow to post the art.

Mij
01-01-2016, 05:14 PM
January 2016 Goals

Hi there Robert and glad you made that trip ok. I did not realise the USA was that big across. You made it here as well. Those are good goals and should see you off to a good start this year. It is lovely to hear that you intend enjoying life more. Happiness is what it's all about and as you say, plenty of horsey models about.

Hi Doug, nice to hear from you with a good set of goals as well. I wouldn't take on any challenge that required daily time as my time each day is limited and varied. It is good that you have found something that helps you to accomplish your daily doings. More power to your elbow as we say.

I have a batch of 'minis' to complete as well as a handful ( a dozen?) of regular sized (11 X 14) images to correct/complete. Perhaps I should put them in the WC studio page and ask for advice? I also have to cut and glue in the separators for the pastel box, break the Unisons in two then grade their values. I also want to do some more outdoor sketching this year, from the shelter of the car if necessary.
Which to do first?
I know, I'll just do what I feel like doing on the day. I like that. Spontaneity we call it I think. Perhaps it is 'ad hoc' under another name. Oh the wonders of the English language :lol:.
Jim

Judibelle
01-01-2016, 05:44 PM
LOL...Jim.... I love the idea of doing "what I feel like doing" for the day!

Doug...So good to hear from you...and your facebook page is delightful! Thanks for the link. I wish you well with the 30 in 30...

Rob...you are going to be busy this month for sure...

Just got back from a social New Year's Day brunch with friends....no sketching yet. But the day is not over...

Mij
01-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi there Judi, I was in a rush earlier and missed you. I know what it's like to loose a month. It is easily done. How does one resist hibernating? Be a go getter? :D.
An organised workspace makes you feel so good so that is fine. A pity you are not closer because I was wondering what to do with all the dvds and books I have on our interests. Perhaps donate them to a charity shop, our high street is now full of them. Happy video watching.
Jim

ullahennig
01-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Happy New Year to all of you - Robert, Jim, Doug, Judibelle and whoever will be participating in this lovely group!
I was glad to hear from you, Robert and Doug.
My goals for January: focus on coloured pencils, watch art videos, and in general do some artish activity every day.
I migrated my blog from wordpress to blogger, as you can see in my signature. In the last weeks I didn't manage to blog thrice a week, but my goal is to stick to this schedule again.

Mij
01-02-2016, 08:17 AM
A happy new year to you Ulla. Good goals with the CP and art videos, and of course to do something art'ish every day. They look fine. The useful part of a DVD is that it can be stopped and repeat anytime you want. I hope we all have a good start to the year.

Jim

robertsloan2
01-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Cutting back to just Daily Art. Too much logistic trouble getting photos posted from the new machine. More news about the move later. But not feeling too bad about not posting to Leslie Saeta. I have kept up Daily Art albeit small.

Norma46
01-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Happy new year all!

Robert, I take the liberty to speak for many in this forum that we are happy your trip and transition to your new home is going well and it is great to hear that you are getting settled into you new digs.

My holiday house guest left today so now I can actually contemplate goals for the month. I am hoping to do at least two paintings (either oil or pastel) each week and use the spotlight information to prepare value studies for each in advance of the actual painting. I am also going to investigate joining the local art league where I spend the winter and perhaps get some lessons while here. These are my modest goals for January. I learned my lesson in December when I failed to meet any of my goals. Small steps and expectations for 2016.

Dougwas
01-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Robert- I can understand you cutting back on your goals. You will get into a routine once you are settled into your new home. Doing daily art is a good goal to have.

Judi- Thanks for checking out my FB page. I am posting all my 30 in 30 paintings there. I am probably driving all my FB friends crazy.:evil: I hope you are finding time to paint!

Jim- Finishing off old paintings is a good idea. I have tried adding Pan Pastel to old failed watercolor paintings. It's fun, because there is no pressure. I hope you are finding time to finish them.

Ulla- I always found colored pencils to be fun! There are so many things you can do with them, as I am sure you know. I hope you are having fun with your cp's and watching art videos!

Norma- Joining the local art league sounds like a wonderful idea. Meeting with like minded people can be very motivating. Good luck with your two painting per week goal! You can do it!

So far I have done 4 paintings in four days!:clap: They are all watercolor paintings done on 1/4 sheets (11" x 15") and at first I thought I might have to go smaller, but I found that I am getting quicker as I move along. I am starting to do things without having to stop and think about it. Thinking can be dangerous.:wink2: I have kept my FB page up to date and posted my paintings on Leslie Saeta's blog. Pain management is going well. The only thing I need to do is look into joining the Federation of Canadian Artists.

I am happy with the way the month is starting.

Doug

ullahennig
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2016/984492-koi.jpg
Thought I'd like to share this with you. It is a freehand drawing, inspired by drawings I found on the web, coloured with polychromos coloured pencils, with babyoil used as a solvent.
Before doing that I did some colouring pages in order to practise using the right colours. The babyoil is applied with q-tips which gives more control than the use of a brush.

Dougwas
01-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Fantastic drawing, Ulla, and a great effect with the baby oil! I think I have an oil based blending pencil for the Polychromos and a wax based one for wax based pencils. I am sure you have tried these. It looks like you are having fun experimenting with your cp's. Thanks for sharing your drawing with us!

Doug

Judibelle
01-05-2016, 02:46 PM
very interesting use of baby oil, Ulla! Looks great.

Doug I love your website and checked it again today.

I am trying to do the one-a-day thing also, but really just started today. Though I actually did 2 today....a Spotlight and a small one from my photo collection. I love Karen Margulis' suggestion of a 'photo bowl' where she pulls one out each day and that's what she paints. Makes it easy to decide what to paint....

Anne Johnson
01-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Happy new year and best wishes to everyone!

Robert, great to hear you are safe & settling in!
Doug, great FB page. I liked it and look forward to seeing more posts.
Ulla, I absolutely love that fish. Very nicely done. His or her spots are cute.. they remind me of the spots on a cow. :)

My goals for this month, and in fact, possibly 2016!, are:
1) the most important one - :) - daily art! This month, I'm focusing on watercolor and acrylic painting.
2) stop buying sweets at the grocery store & ordering desserts in restaurants. I have a bad sweet tooth and have been eating unhealthy sweets too often. This will limit me to only eating them in the rare occasions they are gifted to me, etc.

robertsloan2
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Cool fish, Ulla. Seems to work well your using baby oil as a solvent. Well done!

Great goals, Anne!

I'm now going through stuff at a heavy pace and think I need to adjst "daily art" into "and artish" because I've got so many things that need sorting and rearranging. Instead of moving into a large space before my house is built I'm moving into a much smaller space and most of my stuff will be in storage till my house is built. So deciding what to keep handy and what to store will be difficult, especially when it got packed intending to unpack all of it into a large space and not worry about what went into which tub. Finding everything will be tough.

Mij
01-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Doug said
Jim- Finishing off old paintings is a good idea.

I agree Doug, if only I could manage a few minutes to do so......:lol:. Nice to hear from you and that the pain management is allowing you to function somewhat.

I liked your fish Ulla, very colourful indeed. Thanks for the info on using baby oil with the pencils. I use pencils as well.

Hi Judi and I am glad that your daily art is going ok. It is quite a goal to do that.

Hello Anne. Good to hear from you and a happy new year to you and yours as well. I had a penchant for all the wrong things and I cut them all out since just after Christmas 2014. I have reduced mass quite considerably and I am a lot healthier for it. A bold decision to give up your sweets! Your goals are good ones, I hope you manage them.

Hello Robert. I don't think you'll be able to do much in putting the colouring medium to the support this month with all the sorting and unpacking to do. Also planning the new location/studio/work space whatever. Gosh you some upheaval going on. I'd call anything along those lines art'ish :D.

I have won some and lost some :crossfingers:. I spent some time drawing a dreary townscape for the miniature forum out of MD's book. When I put a grey wash over it I lost my drawing Grrrrr.....:eek:
I have done an owl for another forum it is here:-
http://www.paintdoodles.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5938
Tomorrow is SWMBO's drug review at the surgery so I'll try to do something tomorrow evening.
Jim

ullahennig
01-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my fish! I am working on the second fish. I am using polychromos, one staedtler and one pablo coloured pencil. Haven't tried many luminance before. I can get them in loose stock, but they are on the same price level as polychromos, and these I can get for a lower price in a certain art shop. One result of working with coloured pencils is that it takes way more time to finish a painting with them than it would take to do a neocoorII piece. So it's patience, patience, patience!

Dougwas
01-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Judi- Thanks for checking out my FB page. I didn't really know if I should start a page or not, but I am getting a lot of positive feedback from people I don't even know. I have also caught up with three schoolmates who were friends of some of my friends on FB. I can see why my daughter, who designs cross stitch patterns, uses social media. She gets quite a few sales from her 1,000 followers.

The idea of a photo bowl is a good one. Not knowing what to paint is probably the number one reason for not painting. We tend to be so picky and keep looking for that perfect photo. This 30 in 30 challenge is curing that problem for me. Good on you for doing two paintings in one day!

Anne- Thanks for checking out my FB page. Your daily painting goal is a good one. Good luck with avoiding the sweets. My wife has a soft spot for sweet things ( I tell her that's why she married me;) ) where my weakness is anything salty. I love potato chips, but I only eat them once or twice a year.:crying:

Robert- Daily artish things sounds like a great idea. With so much upheaval in your life it will take a while for you to get adjusted. When you get you house built, you will have all that space to be creative, and still be with your family. I am glad Kitten is feeding you all that good food! You deserve it!

Jim- I checked out your owl and I think it looks wonderful! I know what you mean about adding water to the watercolour pencils. It can be very nerve wracking. I have found the amount of water in your brush is the key for controlling it, but I am sure you know this. Just like regular watercolours.

Ulla- The length of time it takes to do a coloured pencil piece was the one drawback for me, although it can be very relaxing and therapeutic at times. I can read the excitement in your words towards experimenting with all those different pencils! Have fun!

I did two small watercolour paintings yesterday for the challenge, because I had to make up for missing a day. I still painted that day, but the painting was a disaster, so I did two the following day. So far it is 10 paintings in 10 days! I posted one of my paintings in the WC Watercolor Gallery. Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1396287

Doug

robertsloan2
01-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Purr thanks, yeah! Counting "inspired by seeing others' art in person and studying it," I haven't missed a day of Artish. I went to a Society for Creative Anachronism day-long event on the 9th, had no time for actual sketching but... no, I actually started a project. Planned and laid it out. So I did art that day too, the planning was extensive even if the result just looked like some ruled lines for border and text area of a scroll. Today I penciled in the border design and decided the calligraphy style, researched it.

I have to remember some things aren't finished in one session and no matter the stage or how it looks unfinished, that's art. Doing an underpainting would've been!

Mij
01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Hi Ulla. Like Doug, I did find the pencils took a long time but they do give you such control over the outcome. I do have some finished images that were in the challenges when they had them though.

Hi Doug good to know that you are still operational. Thanks for looking at the owl, yes it is always a tentative moment putting water on those pencils as it can make them so dark. I tend to the extremes as well. It is either too much or too little. It is difficult to strike the right balance. I commented on your scene in that forum.

It is good to hear from you Robert and that you are keeping your hand in. The planning will come in handy with another place to move into.

I would like to have some feedback on the 'incomplete' watercolour I have put in the WC forum. There or here doesn't matter to me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20708792#post20708792

Jim.

robertsloan2
01-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Today was Artish. I got up at four in the morning because Kitten couldn't sleep and we got started around six getting everything sorted into what was coming inside and what went into storage. I may have grabbed the wrong field easel though, will have to set it up to see if it's the easy to set up one or if I got the wrong one and if the wrong one has all its parts. I wasn't sure. I have managed to pack down everything I had in San Francisco into a space about one sixth the size and it's all indoors either in here or the goat shed. All oils, acrylics, anything that could be damaged by heat or cold are in the house not the goat shed. It's not actually the goat shed, it's a sound solid little unheated shed with a raised floor that's past the rather larger goat barn. But everything has been sorted. Framed art has gone upstairs into the attic along with all archive boxes and portfolio that was just stored art. I will not be selling older pieces until I have my house, I think.

It's tight but doable. I've got my clothes in a tub because the dresser I got didn't fit and that tub isn't in my nook, it's in the "cold room" which has freezer, fridge, laundry machines etc. behind the kitchen. But it's not like I'll change clothes out in the living room anyway, it's grab clothes and head into bathroom. Better that than have unheated art supplies curdling in cold bad weather.

We were supposed to have rain tomorrow, a lot of it. The prediction went down to 10% but they took the day off to help me and do all the heavy lifting. I'm still way beyond bone tired and just starting to calm down from the stress, when I didn't know where anything was or what condition it was in that was driving me up the wall.

I am way out in the fog right now from exhaustion, kind of past overtired and into that stage where it's impossible to wind down but they tell me it's done. I'm still fussing over little stuff like my desk being disorganized, especially since cats use my desk as a path to the top of the bookshelf and play Drop Things along their way. This includes Kyra the Bumble Kitten. Someone, probably Ari, surfed a pad of Wallis Museum and a couple of oversize watercolor pads and stacks of smaller things on the way up to the top shelf and managed to scatter them across the room.

Ari insists that was the Corgi, who thinks she's a cat and might have tried to get onto the top of the bookcase. But he was the one perched on the high shelf and the path was cleared, just spread across the entire area of my nook.

If I don't believe my cat, who can I believe? He must be innocent? Right? Those big round blue eyes giving the Baby Seal look?

I should stop setting traps for him on his way to the high shelf, it's undignified.

Mij
01-14-2016, 04:57 AM
Nice to hear your goings on Robert, it sounds normal to me :lol::lol::lol:. Of course Ari was innocent, the corgi that thinks it's a cat is obviously to blame :lol::lol:. It has the makings of a wonderful cartoon :angel::clear::lol::lol::lol:.
jim

Mij
01-14-2016, 10:06 PM
It has the makings of a wonderful cartoon :angel::clear::lol::lol::lol:.
jim
I think it would make a good story 'The Corgi Cat' :lol:. Perhaps it would make a good childrens story with illustrations :lol:. Especially if it was Ari all the time but Corgi got the blame :eek:.
jim.

robertsloan2
01-15-2016, 07:53 AM
LOL yeah! Oh, this house has the makings of an "All Creatures Great & Small" rival series. Horses of course, lots, and everything that can go wrong with their feet. Goats. Muscovy ducks that look like rather small hadrosaurs from a distance in a foggy morning. Chickens that remind me of iridescent black velociraptors. Corgi cat, the long nosed breed. Bosco the Australian Cattle Dog, a blue heeler who is medium large, bumbling friendly and belongs to granddaughter Sascha. He's a lap dog, really, a bouncy one. Three barn cats who are all asking politely to be house cats please, it's cold/wet out here and we'd love to be the ones getting snuggled. Four indoor cats now - China Princess the regnant matriarch, Armand the enormous black long hair who sometimes imitates "Toothless" from the How to Train Your Dragon movies, Kyra the Bumble Kitten and my beloved Ari.

He's settled in and gets along with the indoor cats. He's aloof with the dogs and takes no guff from them. Both dogs love cat food so it's served on tables, tops of bookcases and high surfaces cats can get to. China Princess is fat and greedy. She'd eat all the food if it's rationed, so the solution was to set out as many cat food bowls as there are cats all over the house. She can only be at one bowl at a time. So they all circulate and eat from all the bowls, it seems to work and no one's starving. Ari's annoyed at me that I can no longer free feed him though.

It's pretty wild here. I have not hiked around the whole place looking at all the habitats but I can see it from top of hill and there's paintable views in all directions. Yesterday was art, I helped Sascha with her large acrylic painting "Ultra Rose" by teaching her about notans to help her do a value plan. Next step is four values in the sketch. Then a small color study on a five by seven canvas board, then she can paint her big one.

I was going to post that I did no art because I napped a lot yesterday getting over the unpacking exertion, but drawing example notans of Sascha's painting counts.

Judibelle
01-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Rob...Glad to hear you are settling in so well....lots to see and do. Sascha is lucky to have such a good teacher...

Jim, I think your watercolor is fine. I do like the idea of the purplish mountains in the background.

Doug, I hope you do make some sales from your facebook page! That would be exciting, for sure.

I've actually been able to spend an hour or so almost every day, doing small studies from my horde of photos. Some that I had already done, I'm doing again, to see if there has been any improvement. So far, I've been happy with about half of these. I seem to have forgotten whatever I had learned before my long hiatus. but I'll keep experimenting...

Mij
01-15-2016, 11:45 AM
It sounds as if you have a menagerie of farm animals around you Robert. Inspirational stuff to be sure. Yes the grands can be fun and especially so if they like art. I am sorry to hear that your house has fallen through, it happens to all of us. We have a saying about the best laid plans of mice and men......

Hiya Judi. Thanks for looking at the 'Field Of Daisies' that I put on the watercolour studio. Yes I liked the suggestion of the lavender hills and a balancing foliage on the LHS (as we look at it).
It is nice to hear that you have re-awakened the art side again. Yes as we used to say use it or lose it. I think that is true of most things we do.
jim.

Judibelle
01-16-2016, 12:25 PM
It's a snowy day here today, so I am cleaning up downstairs (in my heated basement) Artspace.
In a cabinet I found a couple of boxes of old ...I mean OLD ...pastels....one weber-costello, and one Grumbacher, which I had completely forgotten about. I may have bought them at a swap-shop tag sale or something...I don't remember. But they are great! The colors are fantastic.

So when I get finished with my cleanup, I am going to Play! Who knows what else I may find!

robertsloan2
01-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Oooh the Grumbachers are great ones! Hang onto those little treasures, they are discontinued and I wish I still had mine - even more that when I did, I'd saved up and gotten a bigger set. They are wonderful pastels. When they're used up Rembrandt or Art Spectrum are decent replacements.

Today I'm watching Johannes Vloothuis paint along and that counts as artish. Yesterday I did the best Horses Pages that I've ever done and haven't photo'ed them yet but will. They came out awesome. I overlapped sketches successfully for the first time.

Mij
01-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Yay a good find Judi. Do you feel a pastel coming on then :).

If you have had an artish day then so have I Robert. I had a workshop with Joe Dowden today and it was really good. My trouble is really training - I have to train myself to do certain things, I forget the procedure or process very quickly. I am not used to that. If it was in my line then I'd work it out myself and a method for others to follow the ritual. To day we did the glint on a field gate. It is in one of his books. It was a first for me. I'll put it up when I have finished it, I tried rushing it at the end but as we say more haste less speed.
Jim.

Dougwas
01-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Robert- Good to hear both you and Ari are getting along with all those critters. Good going on your horse sketches. You will have tons of painting subjects around there, with all the animals and scenery. Hope you enjoyed JV's paint along today.

Jim- I know exactly what you mean about forgetting the process. I have to do it for a few days before it starts becoming natural for me. I am finding that same thing in watercolors. Painting every day is helping. It is always nice to say, "I know how to do that!" It is good that you learned something new today! I look forward to seeing your painting.

Judi- It's been snowing here all day too. Rotten stuff! Good day to clean your art area and find little treasures. That it always nice. I hope you got to play with your new toys!

Well so far I have completed 16 paintings in 16 days. Today I did a little pastel piece. I think it is the second or third pastel painting I have done in the past two years. It was fun to get dusty. My wife liked it so much, she want it framed. It is now hanging in the living room. It is only 5 x 7, so I am not posting it in the studio, but I will share it with everyone here. It is done on dark gray pastelmat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2016/102199-16P.jpg

Doug

robertsloan2
01-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Doug, that is so beautiful! It deserves to be framed. It's got a great composition. I post 5 x 7" paintings all the time in Studio, don't be shy!

Class was great. It was inspiring, but I was a bit tired and had to catch up on some stuff online. So that didn't happen. I think pastels must come with me when I go out if I want pastels to happen.

Mij
01-17-2016, 06:49 AM
That is good Doug. As Robert commented a nice composition and he displays 5" x 7" all the time. In fact I show minis as well and some of those can be real small for me :lol:. I can see why your wife likes it, it is very calming and shows the countryside. I bet it looks good in a frame.

We have the first snow today - unlucky as we nearly always get away with a frosty evening/morning. It is not the thick stuff as it quickly melted off the metal roads and pavements. I hope we are not in for more - not that we have to go out but others do.
Jim.

Judibelle
01-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Wow, Doug! you certainly haven't lost your 'touch' with the pastels after all this time! Your painting is beautiful....I love the strokes on the pathway, and your trees glow. No wonder your wife wanted it framed and hung!

ullahennig
01-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Doug, I really love your pastel painting! Great composition, and the colours are beautiful!
Robert, I loved to read what you wrote about the critters of your new home and how Ari is getting along with them. And your horse sketches are great!
Up to now I managed to keep my focus on my coloured pencils. I am trying to create a mixture of colourings where the focus is on the shading and the selection of colours, and drawings done by myself and then coloured. Here's one example of the latter:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2016/984492-dotted-fish.jpg
I am thinking about doing some changes on the fish, changing the fins and the arms.

Judibelle
01-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Such interesting things you come up with, Ulla. Very colorful.

I have been busy, still cleaning up my Artspace. Went through all the folders of artwork, dating back to 2001. Was doing watercolor then, so it was interesting to see how the pastels evolved. Put all 2015 pastels in folders. Unfortunately, I had not put dates on many of the more recent years, and only some of the earlier ones. Hard to remember when each was done.....Now I will remember to date things!
Threw away a number of pastels and watercolors which were beyond saving.
Kept back a few that I thought I might be able to salvage, so spent some time this evening putting pastels over the watercolors, so the watercolors became the underpaintings. The pastels really brightened things up, and I was happy with the results of several of them.

Hope everyone is staying warm...It's been snowing here all day, and COLD and BLUSTERY! It was a good day to stay inside and do artstuff...

Mij
01-19-2016, 05:09 AM
I have been busy, still cleaning up my Artspace.
That is weilding a different kind of brush:).
Hope everyone is staying warm...It's been snowing here all day, and COLD and BLUSTERY! It was a good day to stay inside and do artstuff...
It is cold here as well but had to do some shopping yesterday. Perhaps I'll get something done today.

Ulla that is a very colourful fish, from the imagination I think.
Jim.

robertsloan2
01-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Ulla, gorgeous surreal fish. Reminds me of Peter Max posters and movies from the sixties. She has lots of character!

Judibelle, congrats on cleaning up and sorting your Artspace. I recently found a sketchbook with pages going back to 1998 and some pleasant surprises in that. Very wild finding stuff from that long ago!

Awesome recycling old watercolors into pastel paintings. That can work so well. You can do that even if the watercolor was lousy by turning it upside down or adding more paint to alter the areas of light and dark. Depending on paper, it might have been worth it covering the worst with black ink or black sanded primer, just to have some nice black paper without having to use the previous image at all. But then, I never throw anything away. I lost so much in moves that I don't want to let go of anything that made it through all the journeys.

Haven't sketched for a few days, seriously cold, body shut down and I'm napping a lot. Bitter cold today. Yesterday there was snow, now it's gone but way way too cold outside for me to function.

ullahennig
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your kind comments on my fish, everyone! It seems to me that doing surreal pieces is a thing I love to do. Inventing creatures, coloring them in rainbow colours and giving them humanoid features - yes, I definitely like that!
But I also try to get better in drawing "realistic" subjects - just now I am working on a horse which I first sketched, then redrew in a piece of transparent paper and after having transferred it to my drawing support I am now colouring it. I've got a book from Kobo called "Draw 50 horses" by Lee J. Ames which I am reading / browsing on my laptop. One of my goals for 2016 is to do all the horses in it.
It's cold here in Berlin, too, and we've had a bit of snow in the last days. November and December were unusually mild, but with January the winter really is hitting us. Although I must say that a blue winter sky with trees coated in white also has something to it...

Mij
01-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I think everyone is reaching their goals one way or another. I completed the watercolour started on Saturday following JFD's instruction. I'll put it up here if no one objects. The next goal is to do the mini that lost my graphite drawing by putting a grey wash over the top. Being acrylic it was pointless trying to wash it off. What I have done is used tracedown under my drawing and went over that. Well I was mightily sore over my own stupidity :eek:.

Joe called this 'The Glint On The Gate'.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2016/69634-glint_on_the_gate.jpg

Judibelle
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Wow! Jim, this is gorgeous! the sunlight coming through, the sparkles on the fence, and the way the light hits the tops of the rails....I Love it!

Mij
01-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Thank you Judi. The composition, content and indicated colour are all Joe's work. I tried wielding the brush - shakily admitted. His looked real good - as always.
Jim
PS I forgot.....It is 12.5" X 9", SAA watercolours, Bockingford CP.

robertsloan2
01-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Jim, even with his design, this came out wonderful. You're coming along well, there will come a point when you can design your own.

I borrowed a toy horse from a bucket of them in the bathroom after checking with Kitten that its proportions were accurate. So I'll be doing horse sketching even when I'm not up to going out. Need to do some gesture sketching of them, less detailed and more focused on their motion.

Mij
01-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks Robert. The drawing of a model horse is the way to practice proportions for sure. It is nice that you can settle in with family.

I do like the lazy way of doing this though, especially the hot potatoe salad his wife Ruth does for our lunch. Not to mention the choccy biccies and the tea/coffee on offer throughout the day :wave::thumbsup:. It is also a day away with like minded peeps so it's a treat really. Perhaps I'll get some ideas when I go outdoors when the weather and light improves ( if they do that is :lol:).

I am looking at still lifes in oils as well now that I have a load of smaller canvases. Mark Carders work looks interesting to me.
jim

ullahennig
01-20-2016, 06:24 AM
Jim, I love your painting!
Robert, I plan to do some horses as well - draw them and then colour them with my cps.
Here's the first one. I am very much struggling with the hooves, and I think the horse is a bit too thick round the back, but alas, I am practising.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2016/984492-running-horse-final.jpg
I am posting it here because it is not typical cp - it is more on the illustration kind of side.

robertsloan2
01-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Jim, you could always sketch your tea cup during the visit just to keep your hand in. Since you're planning still lifes anyway that'd work. Life sketching always helps.

Ulla, nice little blue horse. I don't see a problem with the hoof shape so much as the postern on the front legs. It's not very well defined - it is the joint above the hoof, which isn't the wrist but actually equivalent to the middle of your hands bones. Horses' feet are odd but Kitten's showed me a lot of anatomy on them. I'm going to repost one of my horse pages here where I did hooves to show the difference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2016/70184-1-15-2016_Horse_Stu_Studies_2.jpg

I did front hooves so that's relevant, was happily surprised that was example I wanted. This is from life. The hoof shape was not far off. A photo reference of a horse in that pose would solve it. Google on Eadweard Muybridge images and you'll probably find all his historic Horses Running photos where you can catch one mid air mid leap in a similar pose. Yes, his name is spelled right. Parents did strange names back then too and Eddie had a few extra vowels slipped in, perhaps by the family cats. Anyway he was the photographer who set up multiple cameras to capture stills of horses running and thus successfully corrected centuries of bad horse painting because artists could not tell where the legs went during various fast gaits.

Judibelle
01-21-2016, 11:12 AM
I had sort of a non-day yesterday....the only Artstuff I did was a quick sketch of some grasses in my backyard sticking up out of the snow, and a Bob Ross video. Better than nothing, though, I guess.

ullahennig
01-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Robert, thanks so much for your horse studies and the info about Eadweard Muybridge!
Judibelle, watching Bob Ross definitely counts as an artish activity!

Anne Johnson
01-21-2016, 10:12 PM
It was so nice reading through the updates on this thread! I'm glad to hear what you all are up to and how the goals are going.

Robert, those are some fun ideas about recycling old watercolor paintings!

Jim, really nice job with the watercolor painting you did. The bright sunlight and the vibrant colors are just beautiful.

Ulla, I love your latest drawings posted. The fish with the arms is such a treat! She (I think it's a she because of the kissy lips) made me think about a creature called "tiktaalik" that I learned about in a biology class. :-P

Doug, I've been very much enjoying your daily artworks posted on FB.

As for me, I've kept up with daily art. I've done a few small acrylic paintings & a few watercolor paintings. There are also charcoal drawings from a life drawing session.

I have also kept up with the not-buying-sweets endeavor. I made one exception - to buy a friend a birthday cake. Now that I'm eating sweets less, I am craving them less.

Here is my favorite of my daily art for January so far. This is a 5"x7" acrylic painting of my bird Petrie eating blueberries.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2016/207713-12.JPG

ullahennig
01-22-2016, 03:44 AM
Thanks Anne! Congratulations on keeping up with your daily art! And I love the painting of your bird, especially the shades of green!

Mij
01-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Hi Ulla, the horse looks fine to me (I am not the horsey type mind so what do I know :)). If peeps do feet they usually hide them in the grass - so I hear :clear:.

Annalisa, I like your parrot Petrie. That is definitely a parrot's colouring. Eating a blueberry as well. I like those but they (amongst others) stopped my weight loss so I had to give them a miss. Well done on the missing out the sweets, well done indeed yes it takes a good three days for the addiction to sugar to go. But the eyes can lead one astray........

I have tried and tried (seven times at the last count) to do a portrait of a little Yorkshire terrier in oil pastels but I always end up with mud or something worse. Because I now have these smaller canvases I thought I might try the terrier in acrylics being a forgiving medium I can paint out mistakes (says he :lol:). Well that's the theory but this morning I'd better get on with the 'weathered townscape' in the minis - in acrylic :crossfingers:.
Jim

Anne Johnson
01-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Ulla!

Jim, thank you!
That will be fun painting the townscape in acrylic. And then hopefully the yorkie. I find it refreshing to do acrylics after getting discouraged by unsuccessful watercolors and other unforgiving mediums. Because indeed, in acrylics, mud, lost whites, etc. are always fixable!

robertsloan2
01-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Anne, wow. Congratulations on your daily painting and love the bird eating blueberries. Well done! You caught such a lively pose. Wonderful painting.

Jim, try doing your yorkie in pastels? Loose rather than tight on fur, treat fur as masses but take strokes in the direction of the hair, always in the direction of the hair. I think there are some good tutorials in the Animals & Wildlife forum on doing fur in various mediums. At any rate, pastels are easily fixable if they get muddy. Acrylics if you lose highlights into the mass of paint you can paint light over dark too, which might be your problem.

I have a kitten merrily banging a spool of thread all through the house. Se's discovered her favorite toy all through the week of my daughter making medieval garb for us to go to Barbarian Brawl, a one day SCA event today. So that's what I'll be doing today. No progress on the scroll but I'm bringing it to work on, maybe I'll get inspired while the event's going on and I'm swanking about in black looking ever so Renaissance. Debating bringing my Leonardo da Vince Sketchbook... it's tempting, might get me sketching and if not various art folks might enjoy looking through it.

Mij
01-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Jim, try doing your yorkie in pastels? I have tried with ordinary pastels, but what I had at the time were Art Spectrum and they proved too hard for the velour I was using. Acrylics if you lose highlights into the mass of paint you can paint light over dark too, which might be your problem. Yes that is my problem. I did say at the time the wee thing would be long gone before it was done - unfortunately that was proved right last summer.go to Barbarian Brawl, a one day SCA event today. So that's what I'll be doing today. No progress on the scroll but I'm bringing it to work on, maybe I'll get inspired while the event's going on and I'm swanking about in black looking ever so Renaissance. Debating bringing my Leonardo da Vince Sketchbook... it's tempting, might get me sketching and if not various art folks might enjoy looking through it. You would look authentic that's for sure. Can you get a photo?
jim

Judibelle
01-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Hi, Anne....Your bird looks like such fun! Lovely colors, too!
Rob...Enjoy yourself! My niece often goes to the Renaissance things....I imagine this must be something like that?
Jim...looking forward to seeing the Yorkie!

I have been working on a painting from a photo I took some years ago. I have painted it several times,..watercolor, and pastel, but have not been satisfied with it. I am doing it again, in pastel....but with a more impressionistic flavor.
Not hurrying...taking it a step at a time. So far I like it.

robertsloan2
01-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Oh, I had a great time yesterday. Didn't do any painting but did some calligraphy putting names in on scrolls. Will have to get more organized on the scribe stuff now that I'm getting involved again. I borrowed some Speedwell nib pens from another scribe at the event and discovered I liked points that I'd always set aside as being probably too complicated to clean. They worked so well that I'm ordering a new set - my old set got buried in the attic when I moved to San Francisco but it'll get used when I get my house. I'm not worried about duplicating small stuff.

Mij
01-25-2016, 04:01 AM
Judi said
Jim...looking forward to seeing the Yorkie!
I say
Perhaps I shouldn't raise hopes too high Judi as the dog has been a long time in processing. It has always gone wrong.

Hi there Robert, I am glad you was able to enjoy yesterday (it'll be the day before by the time you read this :)). Do you mean calligrapy pens? We did some of that in school which meant learning Old English, Roman and the Copperscript fonts....Higher and lower case as well as the numerals 0 to 9.
I have a set here somewhere. Anyway it is good to have other things to occupy yourself with. It sounds like a good do.
jim.

Mij
01-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Aaaagh! SWMBO's goals take precedence over mine of course. After the eye surgery it was the opticians and new glasses, presciption next at the pharmacy then I did some grocery shopping. This evening has been spent trying to get the Epson XP202 to work after an incorrectly inserted cartridge was extricated. It is now working :crossfingers:.
Perhaps I'll have better luck tomorrow :).
Jim

blr2449
01-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Rob: Barbarian Brawl? :eek: Sounds rather terrifying. lol There is a
Renaissance fair here every summer, but I've not heard of a medieval gathering here unless one of the universities has one. We definitely want photos.

I've set aside the pastels for the moment and am working with my oils. Am about to start one with a Kevin Hill video-Winter Solitude. He does Wet on Wet like Bob Ross but with his own method. He's a young fellow, under 30 I believe,
and fun to listen to. I have a set of his 1980 Gamblin Oil Colors and a birch painting panel. Looking forward to getting the paint on the board. :)

Dougwas
01-25-2016, 08:56 PM
I swear I posted hear the other day! I must be going doolally! :clear: Thanks to everyone for there comments on my little painting. I have been having fun getting dusty the past few days.

Robert- It sounds like you are getting nicely settled in at your new old home. Barbarian Brawl? Okay. lol You seem to have enjoyed your day there and found you need new art supplies. Win, win! I like your horse sketches. It is nice to have a horse expert there to answer questions.

Ulla- I have enjoyed seeing all your colorful creations! You have a wonderful imagination. Having the ability to draw things in your mind is a skill most people don't have. Keep at it!

Jim- You did a great job on your watercolor painting. The glint coming off of the gate is blinding! Way to go! I hope you find the right medium for your terrier.

Judi- Taking your time doing a painting? What a concept! lol I usually try to paint everything in one sitting and wonder why it didn't turn out.:confused: There is something about painting from the same reference multiple times. You seem to start to know your subject better. Great to see you painting again!

Anne- Great to see you are still doing the daily art. Love your little painting! Love the colors on the little guy.

Well, it is now 25 paintings in 25 days! Today I was even finished by lunchtime. And that rarely happens. Keeping the paintings small has helped a lot. The challenge has me experimenting and doing things I didn't know I could do. Today's painting was a winter scene of a trail through leafless trees and I wasn't too sure how I was going to paint it in pastels, but I just started painting it and it seemed to of worked out. I'll post it here. It is just 4 x 6 and it is painted on 400 grit Uart paper. I a going to try a larger version later on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2016/102199-25P.jpg

Happy painting!

Doug

robertsloan2
01-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Doug, that looks really great. Love the distant trees. Congratulations on 25 paintings in 25 days! You've been doing fantastic. I lost that so hard and so fast, really wanted to do it but haven't posted a thing unlike last year.

LOL Barbara! There was a tournament with both fencing and heavy fighting, most of the events are tournaments. The fighters use real armor and rattan weapons, it gets exciting and fun. The fencing tournament was silly, they had a game going with some handicaps at random on rolling dice so the fencers would come in with one arm tied back or get an extra weapon, or come in on their knees. One bout both combatants were on their knees so that got funny. It was cool.

I trained for heavy fighting when I was 21, but didn't qualify on account of disability I wasn't aware of. Was not strong enough to master the shield work or hit hard enough to count as a fatal blow. Very frustrating, but I came to terms with it because I enjoyed other activities more. It's the closest thing to a sport that I'll actually watch and enjoy.

I have a lot more fun at these SCA events than at Renfaires, which are a little more commercial and more like a performance. SCA events everyone comes dressed for it and does something or makes something or fights, it's more immersive. Of course my big things are calligraphy-ilumination or heraldry, both of which are fun.

Judibelle
01-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Doug....commented today on your facebook page. (I forget to look every day)
Good job on this one!

Today was a non-day...I'm a bit overwhelmed with 'non-art' (life) circumstances, and have been in a fog a couple of days. This is one of the few days this month that I am completely non-art-ish.
But this too, shall pass...but the rest of this week is if-fy...

Mij
01-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Hello Barbara, It has been a while since we have seen you. So you are following KH. I have seen some of his demos and they are very interesting. Let us know how you get on please, as I am interested in oils. If you put up anything I would like a link if possible.

Doug you did post a few days ago that is how we knew you had painted the trees. It is always nice to hear from you. Your getting dusty looks fine, yes definitely leafless at the lower regions. Thanks for the comment on mine but it was under instruction from JFD.

Hi Robert. What is it like riding around on a horse after going slow with a walker?
I am interested in your calligraphy. I do have three nibs here (and fountain pens to go with them) but as I recall we had many sizes in school (sshh how many years ago)

Hi Anne. I like your site and find the 'Snowy Hills' to be a favourite. Although they are all good.
I will try to push the envelope this week as the month finishes on Sunday.

Thanks Judi for the comments.
Are you managing daily sketching? That is quite a goal in itself and I know I cannot commit to that myself.

I have put up the next mini in the miniature forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20722553#post20722553
I hope that the clickable link shows the page where the latest miniature I have done is called 'weathered townscape'. It is near the bottom of the page and is post number 337.
jim.

robertsloan2
01-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Judi, hope your weather and health improve so you can get more art in. I get so frustrated on days when I don't even do anything artish.

Jim, saw and commented on your weathered townscape, it did look gloomy and muggy. Successful atmosphere experiment and the perspective looked so great. Cool reflections in the wet street from the figures.

Today actually did art, inked my scroll border at last. I also penciled in the text but I'm going to have to find my old calligraphy nibs or wait till I get my Blick order in to do the calligraphy. Still, I was happy the text fit! Layout is done. Coloring it will be the last, easiest fun cool thing I do to that, unless I get bored waiting for calligraphy nibs and just paint the border. I need to paint the fancy capitals too and if I can find my gold dot might make it gold.

Posted it in my Art Journals thread, when it's done I'll post it in Watermedia for the gouache.

Mij
01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Thank you Robert for clicking across and commenting. The last lot of Mark Daniels book are next in that line. As I recall they include an elephant and a gent....

I have done a graphite image of the wee Yorkshire terrier...and fixed it with W&N fixative. I intend doing it in acrylic and do not want to lose my drawing, what clear acrylic stuff/medium will fix it for sure? I do recall some one using an old sock to wipe back a thinned acrylic to stain the canvas and fix his underdrawing, so I did the same. Disaster! I lost the whole drawing......I could hardly believe my eyes.
I do have a set of Atellier here somewhere and P.V.A. bond. Does that dry clear? I also have some acrylice gesso primer or is that opaque?
jim.

robertsloan2
01-27-2016, 08:07 PM
I'd use matt acrylic medium as a sealer under acrylc painting, would work just fine and adhere well to the paint. Ouch. Wiping it down would smear the drawing sometimes, I can see how that happened. Don't know how PVA bond would work, never tried that. Acrylic gesso primer if it's clear would be fine, test it on something?

Today was artish, I dug out and cleaned three dip pens out of my messy wooden scribe box, also a small bit of parchment and some other supplies. Had more than I thought I did! Still getting new ones on my next Blick order though.

Mij
01-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Robert. The 3 nibs you found might scratch some of the itch you have resurected but to be sure you have ordered some new ones :). I like that.

I haven't any clear acrylic Robert but I do have some W&N fixative that was delivered a day or two ago. That seems to have dried to a non erasable finish. Perhaps I could try acrylics over that?

I have also done sketches of the last three minis in Mark Daniels book 'Little Ways to Learn Acrylics' an elephant, a cat and a gents portrait. I have not done the last which is sweet papers and sweets. I am really turned off sugary things having lost two brothers to diabetes so I will not be painting them, perhaps I can find an alternative wrapped in cellophane.
Jim

Mij
01-28-2016, 06:38 AM
I said:-
"I have also done sketches of the last three minis in Mark Daniels book 'Little Ways to Learn Acrylics' ".

But that should have been four as I forgot to mention the statue! Well that was what I thought it was :lol:. I probably messed it up.

I have tried the PVA glue Robert as I have a 1 litre bottle of it. I got it intending to do some oils on Hard Board but it did not materialize :rolleyes:. I did some shading as per photos and show the progress stages for any that may be interested - besides this stuff must be cheap :lol:.
Result:-
Yes it works! If you observe some of the graphite has mixed with the glue but only just enough to discolour the PVA. It has not affected the shading or the vertical/horizontal cross.
Perhaps I can now try this on my wee Yorky terrier.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-PVA_glue_1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-PVA_Glue_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-PVA_Glue_3.jpg
PS I was just a bit too liberal with the glue so I left it as you see - with ridges. It dried like that so could be used like a low modelling paste :lol:.

Mij
01-28-2016, 11:03 AM
I have just painted the wee Yorky with the PVA glue to finally fix the graphite underdrawing. I should mention ( where peeps are apt to forget) that I had previously fixed it with W&N fixative. It has not affected the drawing at all. I do add that the PVA glue was administered without dilution with water, and was transparent.
I will try it without the W&N fixative and just the PVA as I'd be interested in the findings.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-rosie_fixed_with_PVA_glue.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-rosie_BW.jpg

Edited to add that the B&W image on the right was a GIMP image after processing to eliminate colour and to show the darks.

Mij
01-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I tred the PVA glue by itself and with a brush, it smudged.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2016/69634-just_the_PVA_glue.jpg

The latest test is on the right, it smudged most where the shading was darkest. The graphite was done with a 3B pencil - I think a 2B would have fared similarly. I think I will try the acrylic Over the W&N fixative tomorrow. I did three coats on the first trial so was playing safe. Perhaps I'll try a 3,2,1 coat and see where it begins to smudge - if at all.
Jim.

robertsloan2
01-29-2016, 12:46 AM
I think the fixative seems to help prevent the smudging, though a layer of acrylic over it finishes the seal and may add texture. Awesome that you'll paint in acrylics over it. Good drawing of your dog!

Today i made up my mind to draw, so got some serious drawing done. Tomorrow I get to place a Blick order (yay for super coupon) and will either do calligraphy on that scroll again or drawing. Or both. It'll be fun, I'm looking forward to it. Sketching today really got me focused again.

Mij
01-29-2016, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the comment Robert. I will try the fixative later today.

I'm glad your back drawing, especially if it gets you out and about a bit. We get to see some art of yours. And maybe some calligraphy.

No prizes for drawing as I tired of messing it up six times. Then the seventh I used tracedown and ruined that :(. So this time, knowing I was fully practised in drawing little Rosie, I projected her onto the canvas :evil:. I took the lazy man's way out. Anyway yes will see if I can mix up the colours needed in acrylic. I'll start with the darks. Hence the posterized version :).
Jim.

Mij
01-29-2016, 05:28 AM
I have just completed my checks on the fixative and acrylic and the resulting images I have scanned. The acrylic I used was the System3 white and it was so opaque that I temporarily lost the graphite image. I had to go over with the brush to thin it enough to see the image at all. It was undiluted - straight from its tub.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2016/69634-fixative_and_acrylics.jpg

From that check I'd have no problems just giving one coat of fixative spray :thumbsup:.
Jim.

robertsloan2
01-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Projecting her makes sense, Jim. Go for it! And it looks like the fixative's enough to keep the graphite from migrating. System 3 white looks way too opaque but nice to know you can cover any unwanted darks with it!

Anne Johnson
01-30-2016, 11:37 AM
Hello, everyone!

Judi, I hope everything is going well through the non-art parts of life, and that opportunity for more art in there is coming soon.

Doug, congrats on just about being through the 30 painting challenge. Looking forward to seeing the finale!

Jim, thanks for the nice comments about my site. The yorkie drawing looks great and excited to see the commencement of painting. Also, nicely done on the mini painting you linked to.

Robert, it was neat hearing about the Barbarian Brawl. I hadn't heard of events like that before, just Renaissance Fairs. Sounds like a really cool experience!

I've spent the last weeknights focusing on portraiture, something that I find so challenging, but that I would love to be better at. The last few days, I found that carefully studying the placement of the framing facial shadows (like around the chin/cheekbones) before mapping in eyes, nose, etc. helps me a lot. I also learned about the 1/3rd facial markers - the top of forehead to eyebrow, the eyebrow to bottom of the nose, the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin.

This morning, I read a few pages of James Gurney's Imaginative Realism. What an inspiring book! His art and his methods are really interesting.

Mij
01-30-2016, 06:15 PM
OK Robert, I'm going ahead with Rosie. It will be my first dog portrait in acrylics :). But if it is that bad I don't have to put it up do I :angel:. Going by the WIP's I've seen I should tone the canvas first. Obviously something watered down to enable me to see the drawing. Perhaps then go over the darks first.....then the lights?
Oh background.......the photo was taken with flash.....I know (sigh)....it was all carpet and a mixture of grey with a dark speckle. I thought I'd put in a light blue wall up the back......thoughts?

Anne, SWMBO and I attended quite a few portrait classes (a year and started the second) with more than one tutor but we both gave up in the end. As much as we'd really like to be able to do these we are both hopeless at portraits. Despite all the encouragement I have gone from bad to worse. The only time I get something like a likeness is when I use a grid/proportional divider. Peeps say just keep at it which I have done but it just gets worse. So I gave up.
jim.

robertsloan2
01-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Anne, I loved Imaginative Realism. I have it somewhere up in the attic here but it may be months before I can get at it to reread it. Gurney's a wonderful writer and teacher. I hope someday to be able to paint the way he does in gouache and watercolor. I have also got Color and Light for the Realist Painter and his DVD for painting dinosaurs, which is awesome. Those last two I bought in San Francisco so they're down in my nook.

SCA events are even more fun than Renaissance Faires because it's participatory, everyone is dressed and making stuff and doing stuff. it's a lot of fun. One cool thing about it is that whatever you do is very appreciated, whether that's making an award scroll, teaching/doing medieval dance, cooking, site cleanup, check-in or organizing stuff, and of course fighting. There's also light fighting now which is fencing and also a lot of fun. Used to be just the axes and broadsword, now you can get all Errol Flynn about it. Plus archery.

Those are really good points in portraiture! Another thing to remember - measure size of features, width of eye, width between eyes. It will roughly be a fifth of the width across the face and eyes fall at the middle of the oval, not higher. Top of ears is at eye level. Eye likeness - the exact shape of the eyelids and shadows around them - will give you the likeness. Don't outline the eye unless she's wearing makeup and did so with eyeliner, it's not a hard dark line. Getting shapes of face shadows right will give likeness and depth.

Contrary to what you'd think, getting those shadows too dark won't usually wreck it, more give the impression the light's very bright.

Last, pay attention to what Jim just said. Grid or proportion divider, a measuring method will hlp a lot because with portraits especially, the mind plays proportion tricks. Eyes get huge and noses shrink, foreheads vanish, mouths shrink or grow - all because mobile features with expression are more important and somewhere deep inside human nature, we think of art like anime. Giant eyes and yelling mouths, quiet mouth shrinks.

So just use a measuring method. I used to use the width of the first eye that I drew as my measure - get eye width measured off on a pencil or ruler and then figure how many eyes down from top of head, etc. etc.

Jim, enjoy! Don't feel bad that you use a proportional divider. I just used my proportional divider today when I drew my goat portrait of Cara - a lot of artists do. The only times i don't measure in some way are when I really am so used to the subject that I can eyeball it at a glance. This took thousands of cat scribbles and thousands of portraits from life in New Orleans to achieve. i was measuring with my thumb, or holding out a ruler, or holding out anything I had to hand to get the proportions right, along with the angles.

Nothing is wrong with you that you only get proportion right when you measure.

That's a thing like freehand straight lines. A knack some people have that's convenient for an artist but not necessary. It's what you do with it and how skilled you get that matters. Based on sketch your little dog will come out great.

Toning the canvas helps, you can lighten and darken from there and it's easier to get better tones. Light blue wall up the back sounds good on a portrait! Any vague background - shade it lighter to one side or top to bottom about one value step to make it a little more lively. Or vignette her with it lightening in contrast to her, darkest behind a light animal, lightest behind a dark one - like it's a backdrop set up for a portrait actually.

Today was really productive.

First I did a goat drawing, penciled and then pen, from my own photo of Cara the Nubian Goat. It's in my Art Journals thread. Then I pushed myself to get going on the Scroll Project that's been choking my daily art - and got past the hardest part. I just did all the calligraphy with a dip pen and some black ink I borrowed from Kitten. It looks good. The rest is all drawing and coloring - there's one fancy decorated letter i'll need to color and draw in but that's not going to be hard at all. More like fun. Last is a little bit of gold work, unless I paint in the fancy letter in gold. Which I'm tempted to do, really tempted.

Oh why not...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2016/70184-1-30-2016_AOA_Scroll_Calligraphy.jpg
Award of Arms Scroll calligraphy
9" x 12" dip pen and ink on Cotman Not surface watercolor paper.
Border in Pigma Micron, will be painted with gouache, fancy capital will be done in colored inks and possibly some gold.

Mij
01-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Cooh, that takes me back a bit Robert. It looks wonderful. You have kept your artistic hand I can see that. I remember having to rule a line to make the lower case letters - but it wasn't half size IIRC. Yes it would look fantastic with that first letter painted gold/red/black. Wasn't the decor painted as well? Can't remember - too long ago :lol:.
Jim.

blr2449
01-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Hi Jim Hello Barbara, It has been a while since we have seen you. So you are following KH. I have seen some of his demos and they are very interesting. Let us know how you get on please, as I am interested in oils. If you put up anything I would like a link if possible.

I've been painting ala Bob Ross since 2012. For my own enjoyment. I am hesitant to post any of them as so many are BR-averse. But I will post my last which is Palm Trees in Moonlight. I'll post the link.

Here's the link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20726851#post20726851

robertsloan2
01-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Very cool! Thanks for the link, I commented on the painting. I love Bob Ross, he got so many people into painting and with Bill Alexander, did that interesting wet in wet method. It always seemed to me like once you knew the method it'd be great for plein air, painting fast enough that the shadows and light didn't change too much before you're done.

Today went well. Jim yeah, the border will be colored and detailed. Then the very last bit is doing gold. Or I'll do the gold while painting. Depends if I can find a red pen. I might be making red ink by shaving an Inktense pencil.

Mij
01-31-2016, 04:41 AM
Hello Barbara, it is nice to hear from you with the link for the BR type painting. I do like his work and do not understand the stance of many. I have a complete set of his videos that a practising artist brought over from another country as a gift. I was glued to the computer for some time.
As I see it KH does a similar thing and as you say in his own way. They make very attractive images and moody type pictures. Yours is good and looks very windswept. I don't know if that is what you were wanting to express. I'd be pleased if I could do as well in oils. Anything I do looks very amateurish. I am waiting for February when the Carders are hoping to be able to deliver to overseas customers. Perhaps I'll be able to include it in the February Goals. I have yet to set up a still life 'shadow box'.

Hi Robert. Yes a decorated boarder will go nicely on that scroll along with the initial letter. I do remember it well from school even though it was so many years ago. When I started teaching we had Diplomas with hand scripted names made out for each individual soon to be taken over by the computer whose font size was perfect. I'd now appreciate the earlier ones more.

Seeing the affect of the acrylics on the dreary townscape in graphite I think I'll go over the Yorkshire Terrier with spirit marker today I don't want to lose that image. Then I'll probably ruin it by trying to add colour. I ruin reasonable drawings by adding colour.

It is the last day of January today so the 1st of February is tomorrow, Monday, a fresh set of goals to list. I am happy with this month's. I've done a few minis, a couple of largish watercolour paintings and fulfilled a few other things as well. The pastel box went on the back burner like in so many previous months. Perhaps February, eh?
Jim.

Judibelle
01-31-2016, 10:04 AM
hi Barbara...I love the energy in your BR Painting! Beautiful!

Jim...you have been busy! Love seeing the demonstrations of your experiments! ( Love the image of the Yorkie, too)

Rob...Your scroll-work is lovely...waiting to see the coloring you do with it.

I've come to a standstill...Hubby's health took a turn for the worse last Friday, and I've been frazzled all week. Went to visit him yesterday...he's out of the Intensive Care, but not completely out of danger. It's a worry.
Hope to pick up again in Feb.

robertsloan2
01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Purr thank you, Judi! Your wish is my command... here it is! In full color!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2016/70184-1-31-2016_AOA_Scroll_Done.jpg
Award of Arms Scroll for Kingdom of Gleann Abhann in Society for Creative Anachronism
9" x 12"
Pigma Micron pen, Speedball dip pens Calligraphy & Crowquill, Pelikan gouache, Daniel Smith watercolor, black India ink, Daniel Smith Watercolor Ground for corrections on Cotman Not surface (Cold Press) watercolour paper.
Source of motifs & calligraphy style, Luttrell Psalter 1320-40 estimated.

Did it! Finished it! I might even do two of them by the time of the event. One scribe in the Facebook group volunteered to do four, so I'm really not going that fast - but it was a lot of fun.

Judibelle
01-31-2016, 04:30 PM
WOW! Beautiful, Rob!