Here's my first sketch for this year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2016/106623-fruitcup1a8ka.jpg

Graphite, A4, lemur and girl.

People with animals interest me most.

What are you going to focus on this year? :D :wave:

:angel:

azulparsnip
01-01-2016, 03:06 PM
I'd like to study some artist.....I'll look around and post a thread.

I've been watching junk journal videos today and got alot of good inspiration. I'm gonna get a big box for all the stuff. :D

I hope to paint everyday cause we have reserved a 3rd floor room in an inn at the beach for the whole month of march......and I want to up my game to paint something everyday when we are there .......so......I've been otherwise occupied and now will have to paint after dinner. I always avoid painting at night but I'm gonna DO IT!!!!

azulparsnip
01-01-2016, 03:39 PM
just posted a thread on Andre Derain - for January .:cat:

trafford
01-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Derain should brighten up the winter, Robin.

I have been watching the Junk Journal videos too and it looks like pretty much anything goes. Have to figure out what the cover should be...tied together boards or flexible notebook or both. :angel:

What do you think Nickel?

Nickel
01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Happy New Year! It's hard to believe it's 2016. So looking forward to what we will make happen this year.

June already has gotten started. Love the curiosity each seem to share about the other. Really a very interesting sketch!

Robin love the idea of Derain. When I study someone I don't normally think I would study, I always learn something beneficial.

Janet, I have given a lot of thought to the cover.

I think firstly, the tactile feel is important.
Do you want something that will lay flat?
I am leaning toward something more flexible, lightweight board, file folder like, an empty nutty butter box, and then covered with fabric.

Planning to use a needle and thread to attach the signatures, so consider that when you are thinking of your cover.

I think it will all be very personal to what we have collected to use.
Watching the youtubers can be very addicting/ Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the old Jerry Springer shows and think
why did I just spend ten minutes watching that?
They are not all bad.

Anyhow, save some of your favorite links to post in the thread when we get started.
I was going to put together an example but haven't thinking it will just be better to work along side everyone that is going to participate, then we can share in real time.

azulparsnip
01-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Hi all.....just took down the old calendar and thought maybe a couple pages would make a nice inside or outside for the junk journal.

Totally know what'cha mean about taking alot of time watching the utubes....some of them take alot of time.......but maybe I need to get quiet when considering creativity.

So I've decided to try the 120 paintings method of improvement. My first three are posted on wetcanvas....#1 in the hand and feet threas and #2&3 in the Derain thread....and so it goes.......I hope I get half as much outta as Jeff Mahorney and Brian is.....I'm really pretty excited and have painted three days in a row!! yeah, I know.....we'll see how long I can keep it up, eh.:D

But the biggest thing is that painting engergizes me......I feel kinda high afterward...maybe Light is a better description.....going into it I have to make myself start though.

How do you all feel before and after creating art?

brianvds
01-08-2016, 07:36 AM
So I've decided to try the 120 paintings method of improvement. My first three are posted on wetcanvas....#1 in the hand and feet threas and #2&3 in the Derain thread....and so it goes.......I hope I get half as much outta as Jeff Mahorney and Brian is.....I'm really pretty excited and have painted three days in a row!! yeah, I know.....we'll see how long I can keep it up, eh.:D

Well, it certainly helped me a lot, but I must note here that part of it entails, at least initially, painting plenty of simple still life setups from life. I think that was a big breakthrough for me - really taught me to look at the world with new eyes.

I eventually returned to working from reference photos, and nowadays, often substantially from imagination, but a bit of life painting/drawing has never hurt anyone.

But the biggest thing is that painting engergizes me......I feel kinda high afterward...maybe Light is a better description.....going into it I have to make myself start though. How do you all feel before and after creating art?

It's a similar thing with me: I love painting more than anything else, yet I often have to discipline myself a bit to start. I think it is partly because I have known plenty of frustration and failure, and one gets apprehensive of yet another disappointment.

After painting, if the thing worked out reasonably decently, I'm on a high for hours. If not, it used to bother me more than it does now - I have learned not to get too negative about a few bad paintings. You learn from them, and the good times always come back, sooner or later.

The funny thing is that it used to always be the case that it was after a great painting or drawing that I found it the most difficult to motivate myself to do some more. I eventually realized why: after a great piece, you are on a high, and I just knew the next one would not be as good, so I was reluctant to destroy the good feelings!

Well, now that I am trying to do it for a job, I simply no longer have the luxury to agonize and over-analyze, and that turned out to be a very good thing. Picasso was right: inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

Had a little bit more commercial success: showed my sister-in-law some of my paintings, and she promptly bought some!

I have not managed to do much this week though. I am moving into a cheaper apartment at the end of the month and have a lot of clearing up and de-cluttering to do. Plus, we have had what was probably the worst heat wave in history. It was monstrous. Couldn't get much done by day, and even with a fan at full blast couldn't sleep at night, so not conducive to productivity.

Still, managed the one and other. These are all one of a pair; their sibling paintings are similar:

Can't remember now whether I have posted the olive grove:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/142294-16-2_2xACEO.JPG

I like sunflower fields, but they are quite a lot of work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/142294-16-4_ACEO.JPG

I tried my hand at yet another South African cliche of art - Pretoria's famous jacaranda trees in bloom. It gave me a lot of trouble. I initially tried to create some light and shade effect, but it turned out impracticable. So I had to use acrylics' famous forgiving nature to cover up and redo much of the paintings. And then found that the blasted camera simply cannot reproduce the colours accurately, so once again the photo is pale and washed out compared to the original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/142294-16-6_2xACEOb.JPG

And today, a pair of ACEOs of typical scenery around here: recently sown maize fields with farm buildings in the background:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2016/142294-16-7_ACEO.JPG

To some extent, it's wishful thinking: we are in the middle of the worst drought in decades and many farmers have gone under. Parts of the country have turned from grassland into sandy desert within a few months. Around here where I live, I notice that the crops seem okay. But it's been hard times for much of the country.

Oh well, drought is part of the natural cycle here, and in the long run the rains will return. In fact, the weather bureau has been swearing all week long that we are in for some heavy rain this afternoon and tomorrow. Will have to see about that...

iJeffrey
01-08-2016, 03:59 PM
For me this will be the year of Bargue plates. Did a few in the past but not the correct way so im starting over by doing it right this time.

azulparsnip
01-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Hi Jeffrey - not quite sure what Baroque plates are.....lithograph???

Brian - Great work. Thanks for all the comments and hints.....Yeah, getting too detailed in the paintings is a tendancy I need to adjust. Thanks.
But Oh, the sunflower ones are SO NICE!!.....and the farmland perspectrve feels like taking a nice big streeeetch and a deep breath..:thumbsup:

I'm trying to finish, REALLY FINISH every little thing I've got so I can be free to work on this 120 project. Funny how once I get a few things squared...more float up from some nook or cranny.......here are a couple I just finished up. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2016/88676-spacygrandma.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2016/88676-an-offering.gif

brianvds
01-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Did not get much painting done this week - I was too busy packing for my big move at the end of the month!

Well, here are the one and other:

Two matchbox-sized ones of eucalyptus trees:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2016/142294-16-9_10_matchbox.JPG

These are attractive trees, but also happen to be extremely invasive (they are not indigenous). However, they are a ubiquitous feature of the countryside here, so I'd better learn to paint them!

I have been fascinated with bees since childhood, And recently finished reading The Secret Life of Bees to boot. So this one should not be too surprising then: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2016/142294-16-11_2xACEO.JPG

And another commonly seen sight around here - roadside vendors and minibus taxis:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2016/142294-16-12_2xACEO.JPG

azulparsnip
01-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Brian - these are wonderful......each one is so atmospherie and spacious!!! Wonderful work!!! How much do you sell these for?

brianvds
01-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Brian - these are wonderful......each one is so atmospherie and spacious!!! Wonderful work!!! How much do you sell these for?

Thanks! :-)
The matchbox ones: R30. The double ACEO size: R100.
No idea what that is in dollars, but thanks to the current exchange rate, close to nothing. :-)
Not that I have sold all that many. I haven't really worked up any momentum yet with marketing because I have been busy preparing to move. That will be next month's project.

azulparsnip
01-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Brian - what is that in dollars.....$3.00?

azulparsnip
01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Brian must be working again.......Brian.....your paintings are wonderful, keep it up. I'm on painting #9 and counting thanks to you......;)

Put away Christmas yesterday. Some sweet old and new stuff from you guys:heart: . Some of your work I keep around me for encouragement . Sometimes when I so something creative I see peices of your work in mine. You all are the BEST!.

Am squaring away a edition of artomat (over 250 blocks) - here is the final version of Cultural Icons - Eskimos- ED.1http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2016/88676-eskimoartomat.gif The colors on here are not near as vibrant as in real life......the orange and green backgrounds are neon...

Got family doin's for the next few days...... peace out.

brianvds
01-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Brian must be working again.......Brian.....your paintings are wonderful, keep it up. I'm on painting #9 and counting thanks to you......;)

Actually I haven't been doing any art, for two reasons:

1. I am moving to a new apartment, so my household is in chaos, with some of my art materials here, some over at the other place and some packed away somewhere in boxes.

2. I developed a painful lesion on my right index finger, in exactly the spot where I grip a pencil or brush. It made it pretty well impossible to get any work done.

I initially thought it was just a callus that formed precisely because of the pressure of my thin brushes, and a doctor confirmed that. She tried to freeze the thing off, with no success (if anything, it got worse). So I tried another doctor, who said it is in fact a wart, and that it was simply by chance that the blasted thing grew in that particular spot.

He had to burn it off under local anesthesia (and lemme tell you, I cannot recall any pain quite at the level of having a local anesthetic injected into your fingertip - lucky thing it quickly kicks in and the pain only lasts some seconds).

So now the horrid thing has been removed, but the spot is still very sensitive. The doc says I may only be able to work in a week or two.

Well, better that it happened now while I am moving and can't get much done anyway. In another week, I'll undergo a veritable creative explosion, or so I hope. ;-)

azulparsnip
01-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Brian - oh my, sores on fingers are SO annoying......the whole thing sounds like a bad dream.......the two different doctor's diagnosis are so different.....meanwhile, moving outta keep you occupied for a while.

brianvds
01-31-2016, 11:45 PM
Brian - oh my, sores on fingers are SO annoying......the whole thing sounds like a bad dream.......the two different doctor's diagnosis are so different.....meanwhile, moving outta keep you occupied for a while.

Well, the thing does seem to be on the mend. I'll give it a bit more time while working on all manner of other things, and maybe get a little drawing done. I have moved into the new place now, but of course, everything is still in total chaos and I need to first sort that out. It will take some doing because the new place is quite a bit smaller so I'll need to organize space much more efficiently.

I have been thinking about perhaps giving art lessons to children to generate some income; will have to go visit local schools to see if anyone is interested.

My main worry at the moment is my poor cat. She is completely traumatized and just hides under the bed all day long, not even eating or drinking. When I lie on the bed she comes out to join me, but the moment I move anywhere else, she gets back under the bed and cries.

Well, hopefully she'll get better. With the situation as it is now I am reluctant to work on organizing anything around here because it will make noise which will scare her even more.

azulparsnip
02-01-2016, 05:45 AM
aww, poor thing.......