PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

cordobesa
12-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi there, I was feeling a little constricted with the oils and realism, so I tried acrylics a little more abstract. What do you think? I suppouse it is difficult to critique abstract because it is more subjective? This forum is wonderful, so many talented artists here, I would love to get some feedback of any kind.:wave:

cordobesa
12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
It looked so small, I am posting a bigger one

Ohiohawk97
01-01-2016, 11:06 PM
I like the abstract feel and the street leading into the city. The backlighting of the buildings is a cool effect as well.

cordobesa
01-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Thank you Wes! Really appreciate your comment.

opainter
01-03-2016, 02:08 AM
"And there ain't no road anywhere like it . . ." ("Lake Shore Drive," by Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah)

I've motored through the Windy City (although not on Lake Shore Drive!), late at night, which can be an adventure!

Your picture captures the windy essence of Chicago, including the intriguing patterns the sun makes with the skyscrapers during the transitional hours between day and night.

Tripod
01-05-2016, 06:53 AM
My only comment would be make all the verticals vertical and straight. Colours and perspective are fine.

JBowman
01-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Since you were working in a more abstract manner, I actually like the wavering verticals. I really like the backlit skyline as well. That sense of sunlight coming through is appealing, and something I've seen many times as I live in the greater metro area.

In working with abstraction, in regards to fundamental principles, there are no rules- it does however help to know them, before you break them! ;-)

cordobesa
01-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Thank you JBowman, I appreciate your comment. I was a little reluctant to change the verticals, I thought with the wind it looke more expressionistic! I was in Chicago for a couple of days in october and I love it! I was inspired by a picture I took looking to the city from the acuarium on downtown, "the loop"?

JBowman
01-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Thank you JBowman, I appreciate your comment. I was a little reluctant to change the verticals, I thought with the wind it looke more expressionistic! I was in Chicago for a couple of days in october and I love it! I was inspired by a picture I took looking to the city from the acuarium on downtown, "the loop"?
You're welcome! And yes, that would be the loop!

I'm glad you didn't change it, windiness was exactly the feeling I got, which is why I like it. I almost said that in my original post, but didnt want to comment on that not knowing what you were going for. You captured it quite well!

violetta_dolce
02-14-2016, 01:00 AM
The choice you made for the verticals made me think 'wind' right away. If you are painting to represent how you felt in the wind and the glow of the lights on a stormy night it, it works for me. I can almost feel the blood coming to my cheeks in the cool weather, and the excitement of the storm and whatever activity I am headed to - so important that I would brave all that wind and the windy road to get there. It's quite compelling, I want to look at it again and again.

cordobesa
02-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Thank you violetta.dolce! Great comment, I am glad you can feel that!

Carol F.
02-18-2016, 01:51 AM
I love it. I can see the wind.

GarageDoor
02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Driving southbound? I live in Chicago and recognize the road. Nice piece.

Carol F.
02-18-2016, 01:04 PM
"runnin' south on LSD, Friday night trouble-bound " now I have an earworm

summer0se
03-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Lovely piece! I can almost see the light reflecting off the buildings, and you conveyed the curve in the road nicely. Thanks for sharing.

cordobesa
03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much! All your encouragement are making me think I should try to experiment more!

Bodhi Peace
03-20-2016, 09:08 PM
It feels raw and is interesting to look over all the windy marks...
Windy city is right, although i'm almost inclined to say it's too windy(?)

rw1
12-02-2016, 03:47 AM
"oh , baby don't you want to go ? oh, baby don't you want to go ? back to the land of California to my sweet home Chicago " . Robert Johnson first recorded the song on Monday November 23rd , 1936 in san Antonio texas , while recording his first record for the arc label . I might be a little bias since I was born & raised in the prairie state ( formerly known as the corn state , the land of Lincoln , the garden of the west , the sucker state & Egypt ) the last nickname referring to the southern part of the state . but I like this painting .:thumbsup: