PDA

View Full Version : What Next??

BeeG
12-31-2015, 09:12 AM
I have completed this year's project, painting and sketching a bird a day, and now consider where I go next in my daily sketchbook studies.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2015/1497267-151231_egret.800.jpg

I was approaching burnout on the birds, as much as I adore them, so not sure I want to do a single topic in quite the same way. But I did find the practice useful, both in technique and in honing my style.

What have others done in this regard? Yearlong topic projects, or pursuit of a single technique? I would be interested to hear.

As we embark on a new year, with its empty sketchbook pages calling out for new explorations, I wish everyone a year filled with happiness, health, and compassion.

DrDebby
12-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Rather than a year long project, what about a series of projects for one month at a time?

I admire your dedication to the project you gave yourself in 2015.

Happy New Year to you.

eyepaint
12-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Well done on your project!!!
I agree with Debby, that a project for a "one a day" topic for a month then select a new topic. Such as: hand a day; cat a day, leaf a day, etc for a month. Mix it up with the media used. 30 of something can be very informative :)

BeeG
01-01-2016, 08:43 AM
An interesting idea.....we will see what appears on the paper! (And of course there are the lively images from Bing if I ever feel uninspired...)

I do want to continue to try to incorporate more pen and ink with my watercolors...so maybe some combo of subjects and media.

Thanks for the input.

Nick7
01-01-2016, 10:28 AM
I like visiting photoblogs. The authors often follow week projects like for example Shadow Shot Sunday, Scenic Monday, Think Green Thursday, Skywatch Friday etc.
I have experienced several burnt outs as well, so I am going to keep it simple :D As many birds a week as I can manage and at least two different media during each week (pencil, CP, watercolor and pastel). I thought about making it Pastel Sunday, Watercolor Wednesday..., but I am afraid that would be too easy to skip/not fulfil because of real life issues or other made up excuses... ;)
I am also going to work small. An ACEO is better than not painting at all.

Joan T
01-01-2016, 08:25 PM
BeeG, that was quite an accomplishment. I don't know if I could focus on the same subject for so long. Can't wait to see what you decide to do. Happy New Year!

vhere
01-03-2016, 06:36 AM
What about your local area? You can look at it from large vistas to tiny details, plein air or interiors, so lots of variety.

BeeG
01-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input, all. I've started the year with no particular plan, and thus far have painted my chickens (!), done two studies from my trip to Peru last summer, and then yesterday started on studies of an old silo near my house.

My first year of sketching/painting daily was focused on my immediate environs, but heavy on what I could see out my windows (which included fields, forests, and wildlife). But since I live in a gorgeous rural area, I like the notion of the local area, without being quite so local. So thank you, Vivien...maybe I just need to widen the local focus to include the region and its big vistas, as well as the minutiae of nature.

Cheers.

vhere
01-05-2016, 01:11 PM
:). Sounds good

I always have several sketchbooks on the go, different sizes and papers. Some are themed and may take a few years to fill ... linked to ongoing painting projects, life drawing, close up observational work or particular places, like holidays or local, miscellaneous or work in ink in my S&B zeta which works so well with it.

I have no pressures about finishing books in a particular time frame, just about working on things that interest or challenge me in whatever size of book and the particular paper needs. Charcoal isn't so good on zeta but fabulous on beta or delta for instance.

Aiylah
01-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Maybe try a Doodle Day :D can be fun for just scribbling and not thinking too much, and it doesn't have to portray anything so it's also great if you find you're out of ideas but itching to pick up the pens/pencils etc! :)