PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Lola

stevenmont
12-27-2015, 02:21 AM
Hello,

This is an 8x8 inch graphite drawing on charcoal paper that I've spent about two hours on so far. It's based on a photo of my dog, which I've also attached.

I plan to darken the eyes, nose, ears, and darkest patches of the fur slightly, as well as add value to the background.

This is my first attempt at drawing a dog, so I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on how to improve this and future drawings.

DMSKJ
12-27-2015, 08:27 AM
It looks like you have a good start. In the reference photo, measure the distance from the eyes to the nose and from the ear to the eye. Also, check the angle of the eyes and ears. In the drawing, measure the same areas and compare them to the reference. It looks like the dogs left eye and ear should be lowered. I hope this helps.
Dottie

fedetony
12-27-2015, 09:22 AM
I've done until now only 2 sketches in Graphite. The most important is to make a first outline with the correct proportions, then star adding the details. I'm not near good so I can not give you more tips. I use different value pencils, start with a very light one 2H and gradually start adding dark building the shapes... 2h,H,HB,B,2B...up to 8B. You sketch many lines, then retouch the best of them in a darker level...
Thats what I know...

stevenmont
12-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi Dottie, I'll definitely check those proportions and revise the drawing. I see what you mean regarding her left side, especially the ear. Thank you.

And thank you for the advice fedetony, that sounds like what I've done so far. I began with a 2H and so far I've used an HB for the darker areas. I'll do what you said and build up the darker values with softer pencils. I'm glad I'm using the right technique at least. :lol:

chammi kaiser
12-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi Steven, this is going to be charming and your are doing pretty well so far. A few minor adjustments and you have a winner. You need to bring some of the facial hairs over the right hand eye on my screen. Because it is in shadow, it has no light spot and therefore looks dead (just a dark hole), so you need either finely rub out lines of hair over the eye ball or rub out the dark eye, draw in lightly the lines of hair and do the graphite work around the hairs (easier that way). Hope this helps a little. Thanks for sharing and I shall enjoy watching this progress.

mapa127
12-28-2015, 01:22 AM
Hi Steven, doing great so far. I agree with Dottie that the left side of his face (the right side on my screen) needs to be lower because his head is tilted, also the eye on that side needs a lot more shadow, but as you've only just started this, I guess they're things that you'll adjust as you continue, looking forward to seeing updates.
Monica

stevenmont
12-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Chammi and Monica,

Thank you both for your kind words and advice. I was not able to work on the drawing today as I had planned, but I will continue working on it tomorrow. I'll be sure to post a picture with my progress afterwards.

Thanks again!

Steven

tuscanny
12-29-2015, 01:14 AM
Nice start. Look at the shapes in the fur. The hair is soft and forms locks with a point. Take note of the various shades of grey using the hard pencils like 4H for the light greys. It also helps to leave the whites open to be able to compare your values as you draw.You can also lift the graphite for highlights.
Looking forward to seeing your update.