PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trolley in San Francisco Rain xpost

Oilysurf
12-24-2015, 06:53 AM
My first rain scene and my first for cityscapes. Hoping for harsh critiques or kind words. I can usually fix things. Thanks.
Ron Ayres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2015/1186414-image.jpeg

BeeG
12-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Well Ron, not sure I have any harsh words for you! It is quite a fine painting. My only possible observation is that the reflections might be a bit looser...if there is standing water in the tracks, it could be a perfect reflection, but usually the reflection would have some ripples or imperfections. Your reflections are almost as solid as the trolley above.

And with the stormy sky, you might darken the buildings in the background. Though the light might be flat, I would still opt to make them recede a bit more.

But your style is wonderful, and I love the subject!

cjkok
12-27-2015, 02:40 PM
No harsh words here. I like the warm-cool contrast you used. One thing you may consider is to soften the edges and detail in the background.

AnnieA
12-28-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree with BGees's crit, but those are relatively small things. So despite those issues, I think this is a lovely painting. It definitely conveys the sense of a rainy day and the composition and concept are great.Good job, especially for a first cityscape!

Terry 904
12-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi oily,
I also agree with Bgee about the backlighting, although not necessarily about the water, though if others pick up on it, it must be so.But man, it's a nice crisp job of it when all is said and done. The lettering is perfect, and for me the outstanding feature, given the degree of difficulty this poses for most people in nailing it.

Terry

Oilysurf
12-30-2015, 04:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2015/1186414-image.jpeg
Fixed the reflection. On fuzzing out the background, I don't know. I paints em how I sees em🙈

BeeG
12-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Nice. I like the subtle changes. Now for another painting...?

wenceslao
01-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Very good work!i agree with the high value of buildings.I love the train,i seems very solid.i 'll be waiting for seeing more of your work.

Salutations.

kieffer
01-26-2016, 01:49 AM
Hi Ron, great painting!
I'm a big fan of Lionel trains so your railway theme alone makes me look at your painting again and again.
As for the painting itself: is that in oil, and what's the size?
I love the color and the dapper appearance of the car, and the rainy atmosphere.
Though such a rather technical theme, with a tendency towards photo realism yours has a nice balance between paintwork and figuration.
I'm looking forward to other work.

regards, Kieffer

Oilysurf
01-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
I noticed I failed to mention its oil on linen 24 X 30 inches.
Ron Ayres

Boafamily
07-13-2016, 03:25 PM
You fixed it perfectly and I like it very moving.