PDA

View Full Version : Blockx soft pastel experience?

Tracy Blackburn
12-17-2015, 09:43 AM
I still haven't managed to find any reviews on Blockx soft pastels yet. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them, and if so, could they give a comparison in softness to say Unison, and hardness to say Rembrandt. I'm looking for an in betweeny. I love both but I like the size of Rembrandt for detail, and the blockx look to be about the same size. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks you.

J Miller
12-17-2015, 10:52 AM
I haven't used them, but there is one review on Dick Blick. Sounds to me like they are in between:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blockx-soft-pastels/#reviews

Devonlass
12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
No experience with Blockx but have you tried Girault, I would consider them to have exactly the texture you are looking for........if expense isn't an issue! They are on the pricey side.

Tracy Blackburn
12-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Thank you JMiller and Devonlass for the responses. I just checked the review on Dickblick, and the buyer seemed to like them, but not really enough info to go on. Price is a bit of an issue at the moment as I'm only a beginner so I think I'll hold out for a while and see if I can find out more about the Blockx, although I would love to get some Girault eventually as they look really nice. Thank you again. Your imput is much appreciated :)

gergab
01-04-2018, 02:23 PM
The full Blockx (204 pieces) set is on sale in Germany right now, you should be able to order it from the UK without too much of an extra cost. It's almost a hundred euros reduced!
I am really flirting with the idea to get this set. I bought a 12 and a 24 pieces set a couple months ago, but haven't used them that much and have experience with only a few other brands to be able to churn much useful information. They are softer than the Rembrandts, but not as soft as Senneliers half sticks. I don't have Giraults, but my guess is the latter is harder.
As you might see from the pictures, colors are somewhat muted (well, this is what they used to call pastel colors in the beginning, if I am not mistaken). They are definitely thicker than the Rembrandts and even the Sennelier half sticks. They don't crumble at all.

https://www.gerstaecker.de/Sales/Web-Exklusiv-Winter-2017/Pastell-Zeichnen/BLOCKX-Pastell-Portrait-Box.html

DITTE3
01-05-2018, 03:19 AM
I buy Blockx pastel from Gerstaecker.nl sometimes they reduce the price and cost under 2 EUR, it is softer than Rembrandt and the colors are muted but I like to use for my first layer and even more. Maybe you can by few sticks to try out.

stapeliad
01-06-2018, 10:55 AM
I have some Blockx. They are great, actually, and I would get more except that I really don't need more pastels. (Really!)

They are very, very similar to the Blick brand. So, slightly softer than Rembrandts but still in that same medium-soft category. I think Unisons are a little softer.

Unfortunately Blockx is no longer stocked in the stores- their oils aren't either and it makes me wish a little that I could go back in time and get more open stock.

They are, however, easily available online here in the US.