PDA

View Full Version : New to Digital art

Willowshades
12-16-2015, 11:10 AM
I decided to dive into the digital art world. It is so much fun. You don't have to worry about running out of supplies.

I have Photoshop CS4. Corel Painter x3 which is what two of the picture I posted are created on, and I the other picture of the sketch was created on Sketchbook Pro6. I am new to using a graphic tablet so getting used to that is it's own challenge.

Anyone have any pointers?

LavenderFrost
12-16-2015, 11:55 AM
You will get used to using a graphics tablet with practice. I'm so used to it now I actually find it harder to paint on my iPad. lol

Raybrite
12-16-2015, 02:30 PM
You might take a look at clip paint studio and Krita. At least one of them is free.
They both have layers. I use the bottom layer for a background. The next layer for either a pencil sketch (digital) or scan a photo or drawn reference in.
The third layer is where you can really zoom in and paint the picture.
They are really good programs to use.
Ken

Willowshades
12-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I actually used layers in the pencil sketch below. I saved the tree but forgot to save the background. I really loved the background too. The tree was blocking most of it. I love layers. It is so much easier to sketch using layers than traditional. For some reason I find it easier to sketch the subject first and then the background.

Thank you.

LavenderFrost
12-17-2015, 11:01 AM
I love layers too, it makes it easier to fix or change things which makes digital good for when I want to create an image from imagination. Also, I got in the habit of shading with a large airbrush so it's nice to be able to isolate the part I'm working on.

starduskmoon
12-17-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm still a total newbie regarding using a tablet (Wacom Intuos CTH-480). I'm still stuck with old school software (CS2 Creative Suite and Painter IX). They still work for me though. In Painter I think I am starting to get the hang of using watercolor, pastel, charcoal, or acrylic. I've been mainly using painter but I've seen some beautiful artwork done with Photoshop and Illustrator. I'd like to figure out all of the cool features using the tablet. I think it may automatically use pressure sensitivity and brush tracking but I have no clue. I've actually found more available tutorials using my current version of Painter archived here on Wetcanvas.

starduskmoon
12-17-2015, 02:55 PM
I like using a separate layer for the outline/sketch and another for colors etc. I haven't figure out what the different layer properties are (such as gel and multiply). I just finished this one using acrylic in Painter. I have no clue if I should mess with it by adding color. I remember in photoshop there is a way to color an area without going outside that area. I can't recall if it's done using separate layers or utilizing clipping masks or what.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2015/1977773-zohreh_by_starduskmoon-d9k9wgt.jpg

LavenderFrost
12-18-2015, 11:38 AM
There are different ways of doing things, makes digital very versatile, and also confusing, lol.

If you have things on separate layers you can lock the transparency and paint only where you painted already. Or you can select an area so that you just paint inside the selection. Or there are masks. Or you can freehand it.

I also need to learn more about layer modes. Except for certain tools, I have always approached digital painting a lot like traditional. But some of the other digital tools could be handy, and often time saving. I believe that overlay is the one that's good for colourizing. I wonder if they work the same in all programs and if there is a good descriptive list out there somewhere. Have to do some searching.

starduskmoon
12-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Lock the transparency? Let me see if I can find that in Painter. That's when you choose a base layer and then when you lock it, it doesn't go over that section? Overlay. Sounds familiar. I'll experiment with that as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

LavenderFrost
12-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Yeah, on any transparent layer, you can paint something, then lock it. In Painter it says preserve transparency. Some programs say lock alpha, or something like that. You have to watch though, any semi-transparent spots will stay that way.

Elainepsq
12-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum and the crazy world of Digital Art. Looks like you have a good start. Hope to see your work over in Digital Showcase.
I found it really easy to get used to a tablet, but for some there is an adjustment period. I've read that if you tilt it a little, like they used to say to tilt you paper when learning cursive writing in school, it helps. I have a small tablet, and sometimes, I like to put it in my lap, as if I was doodling on a small pad of paper. Just have fun experimenting and you will find it gets more intuitive.

Raybrite
12-21-2015, 03:21 AM
On most digital programs you can just add a layer if you want to paint it.
The colors will be on that layer only so you don't have to worry about painting on the one you want to keep.
You just need to remember to lock any layer that you are not painting on so you don't accidentally make a mistake and ruin something.
When you are finished, you can either close the uncolored layers to see the painting or close the painted layer to see the other ones.
You will have a choice when you want to print as to which layers you want to print. The ones that are showing will be printed.
I don't use Photoshop but I have used Corel, Krita, Clip Studio Paint and others. Most work that way.
Hope this helps.
Ken

LavenderFrost
12-21-2015, 12:15 PM
You just need to remember to lock any layer that you are not painting on so you don't accidentally make a mistake and ruin something.

I never do that, instead I learned the hard way to double check which layer I'm on. :lol: