GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Chasing Rabbit
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Got interested in the idea passed on by Rabbitt in the making of a work form memory. I had a photo of a recent walk in the woods and so I put it on the monitor and studined it while I pumped out some paint on my palette. I then turned off the monitor and painted the piece from memory. I have attached the picture and please note I wasn't trying to reproduce the photo, but my impression of the scene as I remembered it from being there.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
?

roberj
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Looks like you and Rabbit are having fun. I have been busy all week and haven't got to paint. I like this one. It looks like it painted easily. If there was struggle, it is not visible. No pickys here.

Bob

pampe
10-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Like it, Wayne

might like a touch of yellow on the right side.....just MHO

bloodjelly
10-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Great how it is. Looks like a fun paint.

billrspc
10-17-2003, 02:16 AM
I like that whole concept(the painting from memory) I use my computer in many ways ,with my art . I think ill give this method a try !! I Like the painting alot too!!! very loose and free.. Thanks for the idea :cool:

Wayne Gaudon
10-17-2003, 04:07 AM
thanks all
.. it's a good concept .. keeps the painting fres and you are forced into making some color decisions that might work :D really is a lot of fun. It came from Rabbit which I think came from a Charles Hawthorne book.

coulter
10-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
thanks all
.. it's a good concept .. keeps the painting fres and you are forced into making some color decisions that might work :D really is a lot of fun. It came from Rabbit which I think came from a Charles Hawthorne book.

It also came from Henri who said he continually advocated students spending 5 minutes looking intensely at a model and then going into another room to paint! But no one wanted to take him up on it!
You sure would have to train yourself to memorize only the parts you wanted to stand out in the painting cuz the rest you'd have to make up LOL!! or you'd develop your memory :D

Mark

Rabbit Twilight
10-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Looks good Wayne. The two trees look like a couple that's vowed to be committed for life. Yes, I know .....it's funny the different things we all see in paintings.

It also came from Henri who said he continually advocated students spending 5 minutes looking intensely at a model and then going into another room to paint! But no one wanted to take him up on it!
You sure would have to train yourself to memorize only the parts you wanted to stand out in the painting cuz the rest you'd have to make up LOL!! or you'd develop your memory

Mark
I've been painting from memory for awhile now. I didn't start painting again until just a few months ago because I had been doing digital art. I think of the 16 or so that I've finished since starting back, probably more than half are from memory. That's why I was interested in the chapter in the Carlson book on painting from memory.
It sure would be hard to paint the model as Henri suggested.
With a tree....no one is going to say the limb is not in the right place! I don't do many figures, but I would think this exercise would be much easier with landscape.
Who's going to try next??? :)

designditz
10-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Cant comment on the memory thing as most of mine are all from my mind or memory already lol... but i like your version better than the pic :)... loose fun and great color choices!

Rieko
10-17-2003, 04:09 PM
It looks free and fresh. I can see painting from memory is really working well here. I especially like the left side very much.