GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Green Tea Anyone..?"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I having been working on some new concepts.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just a general critique.

Wayne Gaudon
10-16-2003, 05:17 PM
not my cup of tea but WOW .. amazing rendering of glass and silver, light and shadow, compostion, etc. Great piece of art. I am wondering if you meant the napkin to be so polished as well .. not that it hurts the piece .. just wondering.

sandge
10-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Strong composition, stong use of colour, with a surrealist twist! I like it! :D

The only thing I might suggest is to tone down that stong deep blue in some areas with some of the orange used elsewhere. I feel the blue is a bit over powering and needs knocking back to bring it in line with the rest. Just a thought.

Great job! :D

Alan Cross
10-16-2003, 05:26 PM
NIce I like it....
Alan :)

Ginette
10-16-2003, 05:35 PM
I drink green tea every day at least 2 cups.

Mine does not have lilies floating in and if I saw a frog peeking out from my green tea I'd be very worried, wondering if it was truly green teas or something stronger I'm drinking. :D

I love the piece for it's humor and its well rendered. :clap:

Agree with Wayne on the napkin, I'd like to see it less proper.

Ginette

giniaad
10-16-2003, 06:46 PM
a very strong image
that works very well

(I do think monitors will pick this up differently...
from some recent experience)
so, it is hard, sometimes, to speak to color
especially when so dramatic...
would love to see this in person

I like that it is strong
depicting a settling thing
I like that the blue shades to different hues
the shading of the tea to the cup is wonderful
the lillies are a hoot
it is consistantly done all the way around
the composition works

the napkin might have some bits of highlight sparks
that would not belong to napkin
(they do to cup and spoon)
(so agree with Wayne)

it's fun and well done...I like it

tbezesky
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Thank you, Wayne , Sandge, Giniaad, Alan, Ginette.

I think that I will let it dry and glaze over where its purplily.
I am also going to do some glazing on the tea. At first I had the tea more green, but it looked like listermint :D. So I am going to play with that a little.
Are saying that napkin should be toned down a little, I may have a exaggerated too much?

Sandge, I think I am starting to think like a surrealist. :) and I am having a good time.

tbezesky
10-16-2003, 07:16 PM
This is actually in a way a study, because I would like to do this large scale! Maybe 30"x40" or bigger.
It would also alow me to do more with the lilypads.

Is it worth while to make a large scale version?

pampe
10-16-2003, 08:40 PM
YES
YES

definitely

it is charming and evocative and humorous and thought-provoking

and technically well done

Pam

Chirps
10-16-2003, 09:08 PM
I love your complimentary blues and oranges and the composition is quite strong and interesting. I agree with the napkin-thing, but am also wondering if the spoon gave you any trouble. Sometimes it flips up towards the cup (for me) yet when I look again it's lying nice and flat - could be just my tired old eyes!!

deevaa
10-16-2003, 09:17 PM
yes, it'd be wonderful bigger!

(I really love this! What an excellent twist)

tbezesky
10-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Thank you, Pampe, you know this kind of help gives me courage to move forward in this direction.

Thanks Chirps, the spoon is tilted slightly but not enough to see part of the bottom. I will take a close look at though. It could be the cast shadow or angle of tip or something.
There is also a feature I am going to add to the spoon when I glaze it.

DeeVaa thanks, I don't think I can resist making it bigger.

deevaa
10-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by tracysart

DeeVaa thanks, I don't think I can resist making it bigger.

When you do, can I have this one? hehe, it really appeals to my sense of humour.

tbezesky
10-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Hmm, let's talk about it over a cup of green tea. :D

deevaa
10-16-2003, 11:10 PM
deal!

TScottDove
10-16-2003, 11:11 PM
strong composition, beautifully rendered. i like the color a lot.
maybe, just maybe the grain in the table top is a little strong?

bloodjelly
10-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Great! I like most everything about this one. The colors and values of the cup/napkin may be a bit too similar for me, but that's just a very small thing. Nice :D .

tbezesky
10-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Tracy Yes, I think the solution for the table top is to make it dark so it makes the dishes standout more, competing less with the focal point. The burnt sienna stokes would not show up so much if the tan underneath would have been darker. I'll have to experiment darkrning it with a glaze.

BloodJelly, thanks good point also.

I sure glad that I did this little one before doing the big one. It always comes out fresher if you get it right on the first application, rather than fixing it. There has even been a couple times that I wiped this one clean and tried something different.

Thanks for the helpful tips everybody!

Helen Zapata
10-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Neat bit of surrealism, Tracy! I especially love the rich blue.

I would only like to see a bit of the golden brown glazed over the frog's greens to warm him up a little, and set him apart slightly from the lily pads.

Helen

Jangogh
10-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Agree about the spoon looking a little flat. Not sure how to remedy that.

I like the "proper" looking napkin, but would like to see stronger shading along the one edge and where it meets the saucer --- some of the purple like along the cup.

Love the graining on the table.

pero lane
10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Wonderfully done Tracy! I love it and yes...definately go bigger!:clap:

JustjoGA
10-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I like everything about this painting... except the lilypads and lily. They would be excellent in a painting by themselves... not in a teacup... the shading and use of color is excellent... and at least on my screen, I see nothing wrong with the napkins whiteness... Good Job!

artamust
10-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Daydreaming of Monet over morning tea?

Nice work.

Steve

Gilberte
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM
very special !

designditz
10-17-2003, 03:31 PM
:clap: ...yummy fun stuff... love it !!

Rieko
10-17-2003, 04:03 PM
I love drinking green tea, too; like Ginette, I drink every day. :)

Anyway, I really like this one with a twist of humor and great colors and composition. Wonderful!

tbezesky
10-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Thank you Helen, Jan, pero, JoGA, Gilberte, DD, Rieko, I had lots of fun with this one.

JoGA, let me take this as oppurtunity to share my thinking behind this.
Putting objects together that share a common thread out of context with one another to see how it feels, in the way the subconsious goes in and out of unrelated thoughts and mixing them together without logic. This is one facet of surrealism.
Look up Magritte, he was the master of the double take. His painting was not extraordinary, it was his thinking and concepts that made him great.
I can see the Mad Hatter handing a cup of this tea to Alice, although I did not design it to be about Alice.
It just plain old good fun for me. :D

zynnya
10-18-2003, 02:53 AM
I love your style Tracy! :-)

Now I'm off to see more of your artwork.

tbezesky
10-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks Zynnya, the work on my website is not very current. I am working on a "facelift" of my website and this one is just for painting with current work.

Phranque
10-18-2003, 11:18 PM
I like this one Tracy. Imaginative and good rendering. I checked out your site , good stuff! I especially like "Fallen leaves on water".

Ceu
10-18-2003, 11:22 PM
wow, this looks so gorgeous and the colors to me fit so well.:)

tbezesky
10-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Ceu thanks. there's been some debate over the colors, but everyone has there own preference. I am just going to keep all the opinions in mind when I do the big one. I might play down the purple but not the blue. Overall though I have the feel I want.

Thank you Frank,
Hmmm "fallen tea leaves"
Maybe not, just playing in photoshop!

jerryW
10-19-2003, 04:56 PM
surreal and smart
well done too

tbezesky
10-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks Jerry,
I think I am finding my vision, at least I know where I am headed, and having fun along the way.
If I may ask how do you feel about the colors?
I asking, because you handle color very well.

tbezesky
10-19-2003, 11:22 PM
I just updated my website with some current work.
Thanks for giving me the motivation to get the new stuff up.

YLCIA
10-19-2003, 11:37 PM
I think it is an awesome work!:) I love the whimzy of it :)

Julia

deevaa
10-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by tracysart
Ceu thanks. there's been some debate over the colors, but everyone has there own preference. I am just going to keep all the opinions in mind when I do the big one. I might play down the purple but not the blue. Overall though I have the feel I want.

Thank you Frank,
Hmmm "fallen tea leaves"
Maybe not, just playing in photoshop!

I think that's just as funny! Make it number 2 in the queue (behind the bigger version of this)...

You could do 'english breakfast tea' as well with sausages, beans and bacon... hehe.

Rabbit Twilight
10-20-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm a little late commenting on this one, but I think it's just great. It is so clever. Not only is it well executed, but it gives one something to enjoy beyond just a still life setup. Hope you do more.
There is only one little thing that bothers me just a bit, and I'm sure it was like that "for real," but that little light shape on the lower left that looks kind of like a cresent moon, draws my eye away.

tbezesky
10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
RT - Thanks are you talking about the negitive space from the cast shadow?

DeeVaa, hmm I will think about some new possibilities thank you.

I am thinking about signing my name this way, what do you think?