PDA

View Full Version : Solar plate exposure in European winter?

jmcneill
12-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Hi All,
I am writing a blog as I learn new printmaking techniques, printmakingjohn.wordpress.com and solarplate intaglio is up next.

Is the UV strength sufficient in European winter for exposing a toyobo plate? What would exposure time be approximately? If winter sun is not an option what is the simplest indoor setup I can put together (box and bulb? What bulb output strength? ).

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. John

Moqui Steps
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I think I would go with an artificial UV light so you will know what the results will be every time. I prefer to have a controlled environment so I know in advance how long to expose.

bridog
12-06-2015, 10:31 PM
I constructed an exposure unit a couple of years ago using four UV blacklight emitting bulbs and ballasts with a foil reflector mounted behind. If you want more info send me an email and I can give you details. I did post a couple of entries in my artblog with instructions and photos (the link is found at the bottom of this reply to your post). I live in Northern Canada so natural light conditions may be similar but that would depend where in Europe you are located.