PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost December 2015

robertsloan2
12-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us!

Sending inspiration vibes in everyone's direction! Ari purrs and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration at you and both of us say Happy Holidays.

This month for many people is full of Other Creative Activity that may involve decorating or cooking holiday meals and treats or going out to look at decorations or shopping etc. etc. etc. - so if you're one of those holidaymakers, come list your holidays stuff in goals too. Most of all enjoy it!

Mij
12-01-2015, 11:47 AM
December 2015 GOALS

Probably the same as last month. Continue with completing the miniatures from Mark Nelson's book. Also complete some more of the 'unfinished' images that I have accumulated over the years if I can bear looking at them again.

The electrician came today and fitted the new programmer to the wall. It seems to be working, so all is uncydory again.
I also have visitors (Son D.I.L and three grandchildren) and will have them to lunch on the 20th , we have B.I.L. And his wife joining us on the 25th. I will more than likely do the first meal (under SWMBO's supervision :lol:), probably similar again on the 25th (:lol:).
I also have the stair hand rails to refit and a new top one to make and paint. I have carpets to clean (use the carpet cleaner-stored in the garage. Shopping to do for groceries over the seasonal period. Yes-I must fit in all the other chores that I normally do during the week. SWMBO has her first cateract op on the 16th so that is a taxiing job and wait for the patient, taxi home. Her appointment is 13:00 so I hope it is the first after lunch.
Not a lot is it :D.
Jim.
PS. My unforgettery is getting worse, JV has the next series of 3 on Saturdays the 5th,12th and 19th of this month :angel::clear::). They will be a refreshing break from all the chores as I have no JFD workshop this month.

ullahennig
12-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Goals for December 2015
They may sound a bit strange to you, but here they are:
1. Practise tracing all kinds of things and combine them in a collage kind of way. This could mean adding "own" things to them, or using the lineart to fill it with patterns.
2. Practise combining markers with watermedia, that is neocolors II. I learnt that if I put a drop of water on the shavings in my palette the pigments are wet enough to be used with a waterbrush, but not too wet to be painted on cardboard.
3. Watch youtube videos about painting and drawing and watch videos on artistnetwork.tv

robertsloan2
12-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Jim, you accomplish so much. When you're not being creative, you're being constructive. Holiday decorating counts as creative activity. Yay for your mini paintings and finishing unfinished works. Some of them may come out a lot better than expected!

Ulla, great goals! That all makes sense to me. I love the Neocolor II both as crayons and as paint, it's very good if slightly waxy opaque paint so easy to handle. I often pull it off the tip with water brush.

Tracing is good line practice and colloging tracings sounds very cool. I've been thinking of taking a rubbing of the hotel wainscoting before I go, since I won't be able to see it again even if I come back on vacation someday. Might do that with crayon on sketch paper.

Youtube and ArtistNetworkTV are awesome! That's pretty much taken the place of TV for me altogether! I sometimes do exercises from the videos, especially sketch ones.

December is bitter winter, as bad or nearly as bad as November. So I'm going to keep my goals pretty simple.

1. Daily art or artish, with the 48 hour window when I skip. Watching video counts, so does reading art books or coloring my dinosaurs coloring book!

2. Make some holiday decorations or art on a holiday theme.

3. Spotlight participation including finish the orange tree sketch I set up for.

4. Start preparing for my move to Arkansas this spring. Pack away most of my art supplies into easily transported form, buy tubs, get rid of any junk that accumulated. Put away all nonessentials into packed in tubs. May even make some space in my room. The tubs may even make some stuff more accessible.

5. Frame my Karen Margulis mini painting - cut the mat and backing, mount it properly and hang it framed. Try for doing that this week so I don't mislay the frame in all the fuss around the fumigation.

I think that's about it. I put holiday stuff in because I miss having that sketch of Christmas ornaments up on the wall and would like to do a new one.

Mij
12-01-2015, 03:48 PM
They are strange to my ears Ulla because I have never done any of that. You will have to explain what you do when you put it up not that I can C&C any, but I can learn. It sounds like you will be a busy little bee. They are sound goals and will let you get experimenting with differing media. It will be especially interesting to see how the Neocolor ll pan out.

It looks as if you have a busy time ahead also Robert, with a relocation to Arkansas. I can understand any art being relegated to a back burner with a move like that to make. You have an admirable set of goals, I hope all goes ok for you. It is a couple of months to go but you do need a plan.
Jim.

Mij
12-01-2015, 03:51 PM
December 2015 GOALS
CorrectionSWMBO has her 1st op tomorrow!!!! SWMBO has her XX firstXX second cateract op on the 16th so that is a taxiing job to and from home and wait for the patient both times.
Her appointment is 13:00 I think. This puts goals back a day.
Jim.

robertsloan2
12-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Purr thanks Jiim!

Today was Artish. Today was important for preparing to move. i cleaned out and got out all three under bed tubs, discovered two were empty and one had a large boxed item that can travel in its box. They are now packed full of the stuff I don't want the new guy that's coming next week to have to handle preparing for the fumigation. Markus was saying "maybe you can get rid of some of this clutter" and I got mad, because this "clutter" is my life and my future and I wouldn't be able to replace it for years - some of it never - if anything happened to it.

With that attitude I didn't want him handling any art supplies. Bagging up food and laundry, sure, but nothing valuable or irreplaceable. Aside from which I didn't want him randomly packing art supplies in with food and stuff "store till the move" in with "get at it every week" materials. I put away the majority of my pastels, cut down to three major half sticks sets and the Caran d'Ache 15 color set I got a while back on Swap Shop.

So my shelves are cleared off pretty much, a few favorite books out and I might consolidate those into a milk crate and start putting my pants somewhere else. That'd tidy up well but it's a fine point for another day. One that puts all my favorites in the same box and easy to find too.

Several hundred roaches got personally stomped in all this decluttering and net result is going to be the rest of them dead next week in the fumigation. I think I'm going to get Markus to dig back to the closet too, maybe see if I can get that sorted out and kept open to be fumigated too.

A major triumph. Room feels decidedly more spacious.

Mij
12-01-2015, 09:32 PM
It sounds as if you have had a very productive day Robert and 'artish' as you explained. It is also in preparation for your move which is important.
I know what he means by clearing clutter because that is the term I use for the 'stuff' I have tucked away in the garage. But I do know that I am past using it again and it is now out of date anyway. I mean we have been metricised for goodness knows how many years and many of the tools are imperial. I retired from teaching early (I was only 54) in the year of 1996 and I thought I would do so much then.

So you have a new space, cleared shelves and less living companions - I wouldn't have chosen them anyway :lol:.
Let us hope the fumigation goes to plan and rids you of any further unwanted guests :thumbsup:.
You have made a good start on your goals this month.
Jim

ullahennig
12-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Jim and Robert,
Yay to your goals! This little community here means a lot to me. It is inspiring and motivating to read of people's goals.
Just a tiny bit of explanation: Do you know the website "posemaniacs.com"? It is a website where you can move poses yourself, getting them into the position you would like to draw. They have heads, hands, feet, male and female bodies in all kinds of movement. So I print one out, trace it and then put it in some kind of environment. The figure is traced, but the composition is mine, and of course the colours. I did something like that on the weekend and will upload it later on in order to give you an impression.

Mij
12-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Hey Ulla, thanks for that. I have yet to take a look. I have just got my post and in between 'taxi jobs' at the minute. I have left SWMBO at the eye hospital as she wont be ready for home until 16:00. I'll try that site out as you suggested and try a figure in the sketchbook image of the wait whilst SWMBO had her hydrotherapy.
Jim.

Norma46
12-02-2015, 01:21 PM
December greetings to all. Well I hope I can get some projects completed and others started this month. November was a bust in terms of art efforts largely due to transitioning to Florida for the winter months. I do have my art work area organized and a new easel that can be adjusted from full vertical to full horizontal. I came with NO instructions for assembly and a bent hinge pin that I had to wrestle back into shape, but got it together after several hours of struggle. Yesterday I got Christmas decorations arranged so that should not be a distraction.

I am going to try to do the Karen Margulis "mini a day" challenge for at least seven consecutive days. I also have an oil painting started in early November to finish. I have a reference photo of a yellow rose that I am hoping to paint both in oil and pastel. Finally, I plan to return to the Drawing From Life forum and participate in it as I did several months ago.

Good luck all on your goals for this month. I look forward to hearing and seeing your progress.

ullahennig
12-02-2015, 01:55 PM
December greetings to all! Jim, I hope your wife's eye op went well! Robert, I have to cringe at the idea of having roaches in my flat. I can manage ants, but I hate any insect that resembles roaches. How brave you are!
Here's my first December artwork:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2015/984492-floral-elf.jpg
I traced the fairy and added the leaves. This is what I meant by "collage" - putting the traced object somewhere and adding things of my own. I want fo go further in that direction.
Did the fairy with markers, and most of the leaves as well; one leaf was done with neocolor II paint, as well as the blue background.
I did it on cardstock, but I kept the neocolor II paint fairly dry. It is not very much, but it is the beginning.

Mij
12-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi there Norma from Florida. I am glad that the move went ok, And it will take sometime to settle in. First thing I do when we get back from anywhere is put the kettle on :lol::lol::lol:.

That is a colourful image Ulla and your fairy looks good. I am usure of the collage bit, do you mean that the fairy was traced, drawn, cut out then stuck on the background? Or what?

The operation for cateracts on SWMBO went ok thanks Ulla. I came home in between as we are a little under an hour away but she was pre-meded at 15:45 when I got back there so I had a coffee and biccy and a read of a magazine while I waited. We got back here just after 17:00 and still woozey from the medication we used the power chair as she was wobbly on her feet.
The follow up and the next op is the 16th of this month.
I have done next to nothing of my goals today.
Jim.

Judibelle
12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
You've had a busy day, Jim....glad things went alright...A long day for you both!

Norma...How frustrating...no directions! Glad you were able to persevere and accomplish!

Ulla..interesting process!

Rob...roaches.. Yuck! Glad you got to 'clear things out' a bit.

that's what I have been doing also...clearing and throwing out lots of
(non-art )stuff.
So my goals are to continue the mini dailies...i did a good week's worth last month....goal is for 2 weeks this month. (Don't you love those, Norma?),
do at least one regular size one
and continue my 'cleaning house' efforts....every little (litter) bit helps!

My one health goal is to participate in a weekly "Chair Yoga" group. No drastic moves...just nice and slow....and we're all Seniors...

Wishing us all a productive December....

Mij
12-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Hello JudiB. Thanks for commenting on SWMBO. the meds affected her balance more than others as she finds it difficult to balance anyway.
You have an achievable set of goals. Ok on the health front and you are right to do things gradually, old muscles and bones need warming up gradually. Nothing to strenuous.

So I'll not be the only one of us clearing the decks for the coming seasons visitors :D.

Yes, we had a very long day because it started well before GOOBT (get out of bed time) when parcel post called and did a runner at 07:30 in the morning :). Most times I am up and at' em but not the morning they call is Murphy about? Ah well, scheduled a re-delivery for two days time (online). We know what it is as our kettle broke down this week and ordered another online. We use a filter one because the water here tastes of chlorine and I find that unpalatable. They are sending the filters first then the kettle. I am making the cuppas with a saucepan on the gas stove :lol::lol::lol:.
Jim

ullahennig
12-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Jim: I traced the fairy on transparent paper; then I put graphite on the back of that paper and transfered the drawing onto cardstock. Because the result of this transfering process is very thin lines I could easily erase unwanted lines or add lines thereby changing the drawing in any way I want to. Once the drawing was transfered I thought of some fitting background - and added the leaves with freehand drawing. The last step was the colouring with markers and neocolorII paint.

Mij
12-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Thank you Ulla for that explanation. I am sorry to be so thick about this but I do like to know how experiments are going. It turned out alright so perhaps I could utilize the idea on the sketch of the hospital waiting area where SWMBO had her hydrotherapy. I could choose a suitable patient from virtually anywhere........:angel::D.
Jim.

ullahennig
12-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Jim, you don't need to feel sorry. I am only too willing to talk about the experiments I am carrying out. It is just that I do not want to bore anybody. I remember a youtube video about how you can use tracing for try different ways of composition.
Wishing your wife all the best for her health!

stapeliad
12-03-2015, 10:20 AM
My december goal is to get a goal!!

Judibelle
12-03-2015, 10:29 AM
stapeliad....LOL! Good luck!

stapeliad
12-03-2015, 10:33 AM
LOL thanks, I need it!

ullahennig
12-03-2015, 01:32 PM
I managed to do another tracing - this time a head, and to colour it mostly with neocolorII paints. And I watched a video on youtube explaining the process of composition with small tracings which you arrange on a new sheet of paper. Interesting. The lady used a light board, but it can be done with tracing paper / transfer paper as well.
Here you can see it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2015/984492-blue-head.jpg

Nick7
12-03-2015, 03:24 PM
My december goal is to get a goal!!

Is everything all right stapeliad? :wave:

My goal... I need to block Amazon :D I spend much more time browsing art books than drawing/painting.

stapeliad
12-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Hi Nick, yes all is ok, I am just floating around and being spacey! :p

Mij
12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
My goal... I need to block Amazon :D I spend much more time browsing art books than drawing/painting. I'll second that motion. I spend too much full stop! In the UK Amazon have recently started to deliver on a Sunday and we had a delivery tonight gone 19:00. This so not the UK!

Lovely Ulla, colourful as usual. I wonder if the NeocolorII are fugitive at all. Have you tested them or do they say on the wrapper?

Hi Stapielad, no goals at all. Then that must be your first then, find a goal :lol::lol:.

Oh I'd better go on duty in-a-minute. I am voted chief 'eye dropper inner' for this week.
I have fitted the stair hand rails and made the top one full length.
I will have to remove it to paint later on. Time for a miniature perhaps or a game of solitaire.
jim

Nick7
12-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I am glad to hear that, Stapeliad!

After writing my post, I got back to Amazon...I am starting to feel really bad because of that :rolleyes:

ullahennig
12-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Jim, thank you very much! Re: fugitive: Well, if you wet them again you can wash the colours off. But they are lightfast, yes, in contrast to the markers which are not (Haven't tried the new pigment markers from Winsor & Newton yet which are).
Re: Amazon Well I decided to go for Amazon Prime, and I must admit that I love to watch the series I missed - Downton Abbey, Vikings, Tut and so on. I prefer to watch them in English but sometimes there's only the German version --- sigh. And I am very pleased with the shipping time - they almost arrive the other day...

robertsloan2
12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Judi, great goals! Love it. Very achievable even with interference.

Jim, sorry to hear about her troubles and all of your interference. You're doing great for everything you have to do, it's impressive. So annoying about missed delivery. Really frustrating doing without a kettle and using a saucepan too, I'd imagine.

Ulla, wow, your fairy is very cool! i love the Neocolor II crayons wet or dry, you've taken to them and are doing so many splendid things. Tracing from a model's photo is just another method of mechanical measurement, your hand can and will get used to proportions and accurate drawing with repeated tracings. I'll have to check out that link, would be great to have virtual models available for scenes if I start doing any fantasy or SF illustrations.

Yesterday's art I finally played with Inktense after swapping them into my leather 72 color case and putting away the Derwent Watercolour pencils into the Inktense tin. Not a big sketch but a life sketch nonetheless. As often happens, going back to a medium after I haven't used it for a while, it worked even better than I remember! Inktense used to be bright but hard to control for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2015/70184-12-3-2015_Vase_of_Silk_Flowers.jpg
Vase of Silk Flowers (Life)
5 1/2" x 3 1/2" approx
Derwent Inktense pencils on large Moleskine watercolor book, washed.

LOL great goal, stapeliad! I usually start with daily art, even if it's no more than a two minute gesture sketch or thumbnail.

ullahennig
12-04-2015, 12:53 PM
The vase looks great, Robert!

Judibelle
12-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Rob..this is great...love the blue roses. Nicely done!

I did do 2 mini (I guess, mini at 3x5) pieces today. Started going through my folder of photos one by one, trying each that look do-able...so far so good...

Mij
12-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Ooooh I do like the roses Robert, very nicely done. You have communicated the glass well as well. The image is very painterly indeed.

Hi Judi yes, that size is ok for minis. I guess you have done them before. I have just started doing them and have been following Mark Nelson's book which has 50 simple scenes to paint. He wrote the book with the intentions of peeps using it lo learn acrylics but I am doing that as well as doing minis. The one I did today is at this page on WC
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378301&page=7
and is post number 276.
It is a boat in need of some TLC and is quietly rusting away (I take it that these boats are made of steel). I think I have 10 more to go. I have not done any abstract ones. Another goal accomplished.

Ulla, I am wavering on the neocolorII. They produce some lovely intense colours. On the 'but...but' side I have a sketchbook and outdoorsy stuff set up with inktense pencils and water brush pens. Do I need another medium I ask myself? Truth is I always answer YES!!!
'but...... but' it is just before Christmas........
but I don't celebrate Christmas..... whoever heard of shepards in fields amid deep winter snow?
The grands do and they can be expensive....
besides give your self a prezzie, you deserve it
ah well what about January........
I think I'd best visit the addicts page and stop talking to myself :D.
jim (in need of a fix)

robertsloan2
12-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Thank you! Keeping up pretty well so far, today I did the gecko in the WDE lineup and there are several landscapes that appeal to me. I might have a go with pastels on one of them.

Jim, the Neocolor 2 are great and so different from Inktense that they're a good complement in mixed media painting and journaling. You do so much for so many people, reward yourself with them! It doesn't hurt to have a variety of media to turn to.

What it does do is reach a point of contentment where shuffling the stack of supplies makes something buried new again. I get so much out of things like that when I get them, it's a thrill over and over. Just got into my Inktense again and having a lot of fun with them. So go ahead.

ullahennig
12-05-2015, 03:27 AM
Jim, up to this day I never regretted adding additional media to my stack of art supplies. I've got colored pencils, watercolor pencils, those NeocolorIIs, watercolour paints, acrylic paints, gouache paints, chalkies and oil pastels. There are some mediums which I do not use so often, but I am coming back to all of them now and then. I never regretted buying them.
And what Robert said: When I come back to one medium after some time I've got the impression that it is on another level. So give yourself the permission to buy those Neocolor IIs! You can
1. use them dry and then wet them
2. take the pigment from the tip of a crayon with a waterbrush
3. dip them slightly into water and then rub them on an acrylic surface (an empty cd case)
4. shave them with a normal sharpener (one which has got two holes) and use the shavings like you would do with watercolour pans.
There is not much information on youtube about them, and I've found nothing on artistnetwork yet, so just play and enjoy!

Mij
12-05-2015, 05:19 AM
give yourself the permission to buy those Neocolor IIs!

just play and enjoy! Can I tell SWMBO Ulla said so :lol::lol::lol:. Not that SWMBO would ever disagree about getting art stuff as she is as bad ass as me :lol::lol::lol:.
Ok I may wait 'till after the Christmas rush - coo I feel a fix coming on.....
jim.

Judibelle
12-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Just looked up Nelson...interesting artist! His work is...different...
Thanks for the reference....and I think your works are quite nice!
Did you buy the book?
I may try some of those minis, also....looks like fun....

robertsloan2
12-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Watch for Christmas sales though, you may save a lot of money doing so. One more bit about the Neocolor II - they are very opaque when liquefied, with a unique texture. I bought extra white ones in my last order because I discovered how well I could get Ari's white whiskers with them over black ink. This is true of the light colors too.

Judibelle, minis are a great way to get more painting in during a busy month. They rock. They're as much experience as painting larger but literally don't take as much time.

ullahennig
12-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Just now I seem to be in an art flow - been tracing and drawing and painting with neocolor II paint. A wee bit of markers can be found in this one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2015/984492-yellow-dragon.jpg
I also had a look at some videos on YouTube - some of them about painting with neocolor II.

robertsloan2
12-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Ooh that's a very dramatic dragon! I love those big teeth and the dynamic pose, the motion in the painting. It's very powerful! Lots of fun.

Not sure what I'll do today but Johannes Class starts today so if I don't paint, that's Artish. Class definitely counts!

Mij
12-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Did you buy the book?
Yes I did buy the book. It has proved to be a winner where ever it is read. I have used up scrap mount card and the backs of old paintings for practice.

Ulla, what a monster you have there! Those teeth look really sharp....

Robert, thank you for the reminder, JV tonight and the next two Saturdays.
jim

robertsloan2
12-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I painted anyway, from one of the WDE references, in Inktense. Class still ongoing but I painted my thing during it - Stonehenge - and thanks to his influence got the clouds good and the land gradated and the values decent. Pretty good clouds and I put the whole thing in, not just one trilithon. I'm happy with it, best Stonehenge that I've done yet.

There's two more from Dominic's WDE that I want to do, the Hawaiian waterfall and the White Horse scene. Both are so atmospheric in different ways and Jo's lessons essential in doing those landscapes. But I'm happy with the little gecko too, he's on the page with the flower vase and fits nicely.

Mij
12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
That is a lovely Stonehenge Robert, we were there not so long ago. And of course any English Heritage site being members.
I answered your post on the miniatures in that forum. I included a scan of the back of the cockled page. If you think it may cockle even worse then I may have to stretch paper or use mount card if I can find some, and then redraw them. It helps if I can print them the size that I draw them, i.e. 5" X 5".
If it comes to that I could just use the water brush/pen on the drawings done with inktense pencils from the sketchbook. Then do the last lot on water colour paper and finish them with acrylics.
jim

ullahennig
12-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Robert, I commented on your stonehenge painting.
Thanks for the comments on my dragon - I continued to work on it and here's the final version: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20672964&postcount=1
With the neocolor II you can work endlessly on the painting. You have to careful though, because when you put a second layer on them the colours of the first layer are wetted again.

robertsloan2
12-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Thank you! Oh yes, it's impressive. Saw it in the thread and commented. Yep. It's like any rewettable water medium that way.

Today inked one of my two more WDE landscapes and also had guys over preparing for the fumigation tomorrow. I might do the other in the morning. Need some more sleep before I get up, just woke in the middle of night as I do sometimes.

Mij
12-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I have completed the next mini in MD's book, the tin cup and cherry. It is on this page in the miniature forum

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378301&page=8

and is post 284. The paper dit not cockle as much as I expected. I have not flattened it as per your suggestion Robert as it was in my sketch book and I'd prefer it to stay. I am getting used to acrylics but it is a slow process :clear:. Doing, or trying to do, minis makes it harder as well. Although you get in a lot of practice in a short space of time.
jim

ullahennig
12-08-2015, 10:27 AM
thank you, Robert! By the way, what can I do to stop rewettable paints from being rewettable? Fixatives? Please excuse the probably very dumb question...

robertsloan2
12-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Ulla, I don't try to stop rewettable paints from being rewettable. I faced that question by dodging it, sometimes using non-rewettable paints and media under rewettable ones so those elements don't move. The materials bloke is stumped. Experiment? Maybe fixatives would work.

There is one case I've used it. Gouache paintings have a matte look when finished, so i like to spray clear gloss varnish over them to give them a strong protective coat that makes all the colors pop and darks deepen. A science fiction painter taught me that in my 20s. He did a lot of "pink planet landscape" type things or astronomical paintings with nebula on starfield stuff, space ships in space, all in gouache. When done he sprayed clear varnish. It was beautiful and I loved the ffect. I bought a green rockscape from him that I loved, kind of the Malachite Planet in starlight, and carefully studied how he did the rocks and cracks in the rock and various features in it. Had so much fun and the varnish made mine pop like his. I sold a few of those back then too.

Ugh. Nothin today. I have the stuff out to wash the two landscapes in watercolor but am in pain and exhausted, not up for that. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel better but I threw my back, wrecked bad hip and both legs in all the running around, bending and packing of the past two days. Total wreck. I hate days like this, it gets so frustrating and I often feel ashamed of it too. I had the whole day uninterrupted and got nothing done.

Judibelle
12-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi Rob...Wishing you a Very Happy Birthday! hope you have some fun....

I've been 'wiped out' this week....too much going on and I'm exhausted. So taking a couple of days' break.But will catch iup soon...

robertsloan2
12-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Yay, got one of the two done. Also found a sketch on the back that I did on Tuesday, just the design of the wainscoting. I might finish that siting out in the hall when I get to it.

White Horse on the Hill is done, posted in the WDE thread and Art Journals and Watermedia and Pen & Ink, all are different crowds with some but not much overlap. Purr. Feeling much better for that. Need to do the Hawaiian landscape too now!

Mij
12-11-2015, 04:18 AM
Hi Judi. Sorry to hear you have been wiped out this week. You will need time to yourself to recover.

I have seen your images Robert and they look very good. They look professional. Well done, but it's wiped you out as well.

I have had a busy week. I do hope to get to a completion of a watercolour painting today. I have one in mind.
I have either got a bug in this computer or the mouse is playing up. It is slow to being non-responsive to clicks on the mouse, especially on loading up. As they are cheap enough I'll try one of them first.
Jim,

ullahennig
12-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Happy belated birthday to you, Robert! I hope you had a fine day!

robertsloan2
12-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Purr! Thanks, Jim! Yeah, those last two were intense and difficult but so worth it. I didn't stay wiped out for long from that, just let my watercoloring get looser because I was tired - it may have come out better because I was too tired to be fussy about the color! I sloshed wet into wet, charged in more colors, played all over the dang thing and got the waterfall looking great. Awake and rested I would never ave let the red flowers slop outside te lines or pop up where I hadn't specifically drawn any. But that actually worked better. Serendipity is a joy.

Mistakes are the launch pad of creativity too. They really are. I come up with my best so many times when I goof up!

Oh definitely try a new mouse first! I had hat trouble last year, bought two new cheap mice so I'd have a spare. Lo, the problem was the mouse and that cleared it up fine. I still use mice with cords so that was part of it, cord bent and deformed and eventually had intermittent connections.

Purr! Thank you, Ulla! I did for some of it and the rest was... exciting. In an "interesting times" sense. The one thing that went wrong did so clean and simple. Story in the Scumble thread. Big news and upshot, I'm moving next week on Wednesday. Going in for my shot one last time with my daughter driving me there and say goodbye to the clinic folks that were good to me ... and then I'm just gone. On the road with Kitten.

Road trips with Kitten are one of the greatest joys in my life so even the bad thing had an enormous silver lining. I'll be home with my family for Christmas and get to shop for grandson's Christmas present and their stocking stuffers at offline stores with Kitten. I'll get to wrap their presents and see their faces and make some paper chains and snowflakes with them. It'll be just the best Christmas ever. They're crazy happy about it too.

I am going to modify my goals.

My goals for December are:

Paint whenever I'm moved to
Write down any fiction ideas or article ideas
Enjoy the Season!
Move to Russellville, Arkansas with Kitten.

The move just knocked everything else off the list. I'm under so much stress (and just released so much stress) that anything I do in December is a bonus. But if I slip on Daily Painting, I will get that habit back in January because I signed up with Leslie Saeta's blog again for 30 Paintings in 30 Days! Last year that was what got me going again. So I can skive off if I want to! Or just enjoy it without worrying about when it's done or how long it takes.

The pressure's off!

ullahennig
12-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Robert I wish you are getting on well with the preparations for your move to Arkansas!
I kept on painting with my neocolorII crayons. I did a koi fish painting which I put up on the watermedia forum. And I've been watching Artistnetwork tv videos. Just now I am watching one about painting watercolour flowers with Guy Magellanes and Joyce Faulkner. Entertaining and educational... I want to try out that "light to dark" method using my neocolorsII. I don't know whether this is possible at all with them, but I am curious and eager to experiment.

robertsloan2
12-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh it may well be possible! Keep in mind that you can thin them to washes if the method involves successive transparencies. I love those Neocolor II crayons and will be keeping my set close even through the disrupton of the move. Thanks for mentioning it because I shoved it aside into a drawer during the Purge and Disorganize raid.

I might have a look at that video too, I have ArtistsNetworkTV again thanks to a generous friend and will have a budget capable of renewing it next year thanks to the move. I love being able to follow videos a friend liked. They're running a five day free trial again to celebrate their 500th video and the 500th and 501st will be free as samples.

Anyway, all the stress is off thanks to reworking my goals. I blogged yesterday and wrote up my fabulous "two landscapes in pen and water 3 stages" long entry with lots of pictures. Posted that and linked on Facebook.

Judibelle
12-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Rob...Very happy for you in anticipation of your move....hoping everything goes smoothly!

Still trying to catch up with myself...no painting yet...too many distractions...

robertsloan2
12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah. A bit too busy gettin ready and planning over chat and phone with Kitten to do anything myself. Real Life Interferes. Today I was on the phone wiht her while she did the shopping for the trip. The road food is going to be awesome and I love the nine cool clear Sterilite tubs with cheery red and green Christmas lids that the rest of my stuff will be packed in. They are permanent studio furniture too after I unpack - will be able to organize by medium and type of supplies! Yay purr!

Heh, maybe "Organize and Furnish My Studio" will be my January goal! Since I will actually HAVE one. I will put up all my easels at once to tempt me to do big paintings too!

ullahennig
12-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Robert, I haven't got a studio (doing art in my living room), but organizing art stuff looks like a very good January goal to me. Maybe I can include a bit of that in December, because this week is my last week at work - I'll have two weeks off after coming Friday!
I've been trying to do washes with the NeocolorIIs - it looks like it can be done...

Anne Johnson
12-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone! It sounds like goals are being met. I hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season. Robert, I hope you had a nice birthday.

My goals this month:
- continue doing a piece of art every day, which I started in November
- go to the gym (or get some other sort of exercise) at least twice a week
- get off to a good start with allergy therapy. I am beginning that this week. I have bad allergies year-round and horrifically bad seasonal allergies (springtime in NC is a pollen dust storm!). I am excited and nervous about this endeavor, which involves weekly shots for multiple years.
- have a fun Christmas vacation in Costa Rica! My boyfriend and I are traveling there for Christmas week. I'll have a small set of pastels with me to continue daily art while there. I'm planning to take lots of photos for future art. I am hoping to see funky plants, beautiful landscapes, parrots, toucans, and sloths. :)

robertsloan2
12-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Anne, that is so wonderful! Lookin forward to seeing your paintings and photos! Sloths are cool! Parrots wonderful to paint. Work a bit small and do lots, you ca always do a larger version later from the photos.

Costa Rica is where they shot Jurassic Park. Watch out for stray dinosaurs! I loved the landscapes, they were so beautiful.

Good luck on allergy therapy. I'd count standing at an easel to paint as activity, more satisfying than calisthenics. Especially if you get used to stepping back every stroke or two to see the results from a distance it's a lot of exercise. Also dance, if you put dance type music you love on while painting at an easel it's a lot more likely you'll step lightly to it.

Purr! Daily art is a wonderful habit that mproves everything else in art!

Mij
12-16-2015, 04:13 AM
Hi Robert, yes it was the mouse and I had to go the next town with a computer shop to buy one. It is good to have it all working as it should be. It sounds like you are in for a good family Christmas as well as a good road trip today by the sounds of it and assuming it all goes to plan. I wish you the best of luck and a good trip to Arkensas.

Hi Ulla, still progressing with the NeocolorsII by reading the mail. Can you put up a clickable link to the page where you have posted it? It means I will not get distracted whilst looking for it :). I am easily distracted :D, especially with other art.

Judi, you have too many distractions? Me too :). I hope that things quieten down for you and you can get some respite. Then you get some time to make pretty pictures.

Hello to Anne. I do not think we have met before but my memory is not as good as it used to be. It looks as if you have set yourself some good goals, especially with the allergy endeavour. Yes I can see why you may be unsure of that. Have a good holiday at Costa Rica and take plenty of photos.

I have completed another miniature from MD's book. The blue glass is on the same page as before and is post number 288. I have yet to complete any uncompleted works but there are so many jobs requiring my attention at this time of year and I just have not had the time to sit and ponder what is necessary. It is easier to just paint/draw another miniature which is more of a mechanical process really. The effort for me is gearing down to the small size.
I have to taxi SWMBO to Brighton hospital for the other cateract operation. Perhaps I can sketch something while I wait.
Jim.

ullahennig
12-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Jim, here is the post with the koi fish:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20678449&postcount=1

Mij
12-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks Ulla. I came upstairs to the computer to switch off before going to woodingdean (that's where Brighton hospital is) and saw your post. Yep I think I need a set of those, aren't they vibrant colours. Thanks very much.
Jim

Anne Johnson
12-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Robert, thank you very much. I will look out for the dinosaurs! :lol:
Sending you good wishes as you prepare for the upcoming move. I'm happy to hear about what will be a delightful Christmas holiday with family. The road trip with the cat sounds really nice, too. It is always inspiring being on the road for peaceful, long drives - so many nice landscapes to be seen between here and there.

Jim, nice to meet you. I think I have seen that book about miniature painting that you mention on Amazon. It looked really good. Lots of my work lately has been on the mini-side, ~5"x7". Best wishes for SWMBO for the other surgery. Drawing in the waiting room sounds like the best possible way to pass the time.

Ulla, I like seeing what you're doing with Neocolor II's. It is inspiring. I have some that I have not used much yet. When I have used them, I have always been surprised about the saturation of color after applying water. I tend to find I have put too much crayon on the paper. :lol: You inspire me to experiment with them more. The koi fish is really nice!

ullahennig
12-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Anne and Jim, thanks! For me the neocolorIIs are not crayons but pigments in compressed forms/sticks. I don't draw with them most of the time but use a brush with them. They are easy to handle, saturated like acrylics, can be blended on the paper, and they can be opaque and you can do a wash with them.

Mij
12-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Jim, nice to meet you. I think I have seen that book about miniature painting that you mention on Amazon. It looked really good. Lots of my work lately has been on the mini-side, ~5"x7". Best wishes for SWMBO for the other surgery. Drawing in the waiting room sounds like the best possible way to pass the time.
Likewise on the size as that is the size of my sketch book, 5" X 7". It was cold dank and foggy wet out today so sketched in reception 3 images , a graphite, an inktense pencil and a pastel pencil one. The graphite I annotated JIC (just in case) I want to do a watercolour later (shows layout of reception) and had a circular theme - difficult to get perspective.
The inktense one was a very simple pot plant. I, flashing an arstists licence, simplified it further. The third was a Christmas tree for which the only appropriate green was a pastel pencil - so I used the pastel pencils.

I wonder how Robert has fared today? Is anyone in touch with him?
jim

Mij
12-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Another other goal comes before art, fitting an enscapsulted holder for a shelf slider in a NEFF top oven. They came in the post today and seem to be the part for the job.
I will fit it tomorrow before I get down to the carpets :wave:.
Jim.

Mij
12-18-2015, 06:05 AM
I'm stymied. The tools needed to remove a panel (to see what's what) are a set of torx drivers.
Ok so I did another miniature. It's on
and is post number 294. A black and white rendering of a crumpled piece of paper. It is Liquitex acrylic paints and is in my W&N sketchbook. The image is 5" X 5".
Jim

Judibelle
12-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Jim...I'm so impressed with your opaque blue glass, your glass bottle, and of course...your rolled up wad of paper. Well done on all!

I'm still dealing with life's 'little' changes...kind of in limbo right now. hope next month will be better...

Mij
12-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks Judi, I hope the changes you mention are for the good.
The paintings you mention are all small, sort of sketch-book size, 5 x 5. Also using Liquitex acrylics with which I'm on a learning curve. They are also copies from Mark Daniel's book that Anne mentioned in her earlier post. I intend doing them all except those which are abstract. I'll leave those for my wife as she loves abstract.

I googled Roberts journey and then realized the size of America. It said that by car it would take a day and five hours to travel that distance. Phew, that is a lot of travelling.
Jim.

Anne Johnson
12-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Jim, nicely done with those miniatures. Judi, wishing you good luck. Hope to hear soon about safe arrival from Robert.

I had a good week of goals being met. On Monday, I ran on the treadmill at the gym; on Tuesday, I did a yoga group fitness class; and, on Wednesday, it was warm and beautiful enough that I went on a run outside. I always feel so much better if I have been exercising.

I had my first allergy shots, too, and they went smoothly. No terribly adverse reactions, and it turns out that the needles are really short, so the shots do not hurt.

As far as art goes, I did a charcoal portrait one day, a couple of landscapes, an elephant, and a flower. :) Some of them are from images in the pastel spotlight or miniature monthly challenge, so I'll probably post them in those places. For now, they are up only on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/depaysant/

Tomorrow morning, my boyfriend are leaving for our early morning flight to Costa Rica. Today, we'll be packing and dropping off our 3 birds (3 small parrots) for boarding.

Judibelle
12-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Anne... I loved the pictures you showed on your instagram!.

Jim...Robert has posted on Facebook that he has indeed arrived safely and is settling in....

I managed to do a copy of one of Karen Margulis' demos last evening. Hope to do another today...(right now I'm baking cookies...my 'sweet tooth' is bothering me!)

Mij
12-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Thanks Anne. I see that you have already managed to conquer the miniatures. Your site shows how talented you are. The elephant and the others looked fine. I have tried and tried with portraits and have given up on them but yours look good. Everyone looks like a different person and mine always look like alians.
It is good that the allergy shots went well and that the outdoor pursuit makes you feel better. I hope you enjoy your holiday in Cost Rica.

Thanks JudiB. I have heard the term 'cookies' before but have not asked what they are. I have just assumed that they are what we called buns on cooking day. But swaging a sweet tooth means they are more like sweets. So what are they?
You have managed a Karen Margulis demo and you hope to have done another today. Good, your goals are being reached.
I would like to hear from Robert but I don't have a face-book account in fact no social media at all. He will turn up here eventually. I am glad that he has arrived safe and sound, that is one heck of a drive.

I have done a couple of non art goals today. I washed the sittingroom carpets (that means removing and refitting furniture) and cleaned the brass thingy around the fireplace. I needed a little zuz after that.
Jim.

Judibelle
12-19-2015, 03:50 PM
OMGosh, Jim...Sit down and have a glass of wine with me! You have put in a day's work! I'll even offer some of the 'cookies ' (chocolate, flat, what-you-might-call buns.) And sweet....

Mij
12-20-2015, 04:26 AM
That would be very naughty of me as I have just managed to lose 3.5 stones since last January, but thanks for the offer :). I will indulge just a little for the seasonal thingy then back on the treadmill :cat:. Thanks for the definition of cookies, now I can see what you meant. Something like our choccy biccies :lol:, my wife says there is no such thing as 'a choccy biccy'. She always takes two!
Now I must be about my daily doings as the grands are visiting today.
jim.

Mij
12-22-2015, 08:06 AM
I have just finished an uncompleted scene ( feeding the ducks) which is one of my goals this month :clap:. I'll put it on the watercolour gallery another day. It was the last one we did with JFD so is a tutorial painting of his where I have done nothing to make it my own. In other words the composition, content and indicated colours are his choices. The mistakes are all mine :D. I have just had to answer the doorbell as the Christmas shopping was being delivered.
Roll on Christmas let's have some nuts.
jim

Mij
12-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I have now posted the watercolour called Feeding The Ducks on the watercolour gallery at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395366
and is no:-1 post.
As you can read there are a few corrections to be made so it is still unfinished :lol:. Ah well, I did try :angel:.
Jim

Judibelle
12-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Just checked your 'feeding the ducks', and i absolutely love the way you handled all the 'foliage'---bushes or whatever. Beautifully done!

I have done nothing the last few weeks... did get to spend some time with friends, but just haven't been motivated to do any art.

No more word from Robert since he arrived....hope everything is ok with him.

Mij
12-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Thank you JudiB. I am a busy person as I have also done a mini. The snowy mountain from MD's book. This is the page:-
It is post 306 down the bottom of the page.
It is Liquitex Acrylic and 5" X 5" on my 80lb 5" x 7" W&N sketchbook. I think I'll get on with the next as the end of the month looms :thumbsup:.
Jim.

Judibelle
12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
good work, Jim....you've really been busy.Good for you and your affinity for acrylics.

Mij
12-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks Judi, it's not just acrylics - it's all the mediums! I just can't get enough of it. I sketch with graphite or WC/pastel pencils and paint in all of the mediums. I flit from A to B to the next ... and so on :lol:. Never mind it'll slow down one of these days.....
jim

Mij
12-30-2015, 05:41 PM
I was going great guns today so thought I would do the next mini as per Mark Daniels. He said start by using a mid grey wash - well I cant use a brush that proficiently to draw the townscape in black paint - so I did it in pencil (as per usual). Yes, the grey paint dried and covered the graphite! Oh dear, redraw the scene...........tomorrow!
Grrrrrrr......
jim.

PS Before on left after on the right (as if you can't see :eek: :lol::lol:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2015/69634-ruined_drawing.jpg