PDA

View Full Version : Man in Box

Bodhi Peace
11-30-2015, 05:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
Click here for larger image. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2015/1976816_box-factory-800.jpg)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2015/1976816_box-factory-500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Man in Box
Year Created: Current
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 square
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Second try with stretched canvas. Largest surface I have worked on. This is supposed to represent "pop art" in some sense. I experimented with the sky (rainbow confetti) and then toned it down with a blue glaze. The most unfinished part is the back (right) building, but I still have to darken the top of the sky and change the smoke to gray.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1) What color should the "peach building" be?
2) Do the yellow curtains look like curtains?
3) Should the windows be lit or dark at the top? What color and words for the sign on the peach building?
4) Should the man be yellow?
5) Should the shirt be so white?
6) Does it feel like "pop art" or what style?
7) What story/meaning do you get from it?
8) Does the green front need something?

La_
12-01-2015, 01:40 PM
7) man on a break from the box factory, not sure he wants to go back in, maybe he loooooves boxes, but maybe he loooooves breaks better.
maybe the pink building is the school, he learned about boxes there, graduated in a box, moved on to box building, maybe he's reconsidering his love of boxes now that he's sat in the real world in the sunshine and is considering thinking Outside the box.

all your 'should' questions are unanswerable by me because they're dependent on what You're trying to say here and that, i just don't know.

la

UnknownArtist
12-06-2015, 02:18 PM
For me, this read *all boxed in* and he does not look very happy about it. Questioning his choice of work, perhaps. The pink feels a bit out of place with the other colors?

He wants to be set free?

Bodhi Peace
12-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Thank you for coming in to help guide my piece to something meaningful.

la - I like that whole story you made up! It's almost more interesting than mine. I can tell you the story when I'm finished if you want. I'll give you a hint.. you hit on the "outside the box" thing.
But, regarding "should", I think you should give me your opinion based on what you think I am trying to say! hehe. I guess I have to make more choices. I went with pink because I had imagined it that way the whole time, but now I see it looks out of place.
Kenya - I agree, the pink is out of place now that I darkened everything down. I think you are almost on to the story, but you missed the preamble.

UnknownArtist
12-06-2015, 09:29 PM
"Preamble" hmm he went to school in a pink building and within that context he was not taught about some stereotypical strong, manly career? So he landed in the local and convenient position within the box factory.

Confined by a limited education and little wiggle room for the possibilities and imagination of what his future could be. Now, he is looking back and questioning the outcome of environment. That's my story. What's yours? :D

EnPassant
12-07-2015, 02:52 PM
MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1) What color should the "peach building" be? - Fine as is, but it can be other colours as well.

2) Do the yellow curtains look like curtains? - They look like blinds.

3) Should the windows be lit or dark at the top? - Dark is ok. What color and words for the sign on the peach building? - Ok as it is.
4) Should the man be yellow? - Yes, yellow man is good.
5) Should the shirt be so white? - Yes, it is in the foreground.
6) Does it feel like "pop art" or what style? - pop/surreal.
7) What story/meaning do you get from it? - Discontent, humour.
8) Does the green front need something? - His shoes?

Bodhi Peace
01-11-2016, 03:06 AM
:clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2016/1976816-man_box_800.JPG Keep you up-to-date on some changes.

La_
01-11-2016, 12:47 PM
my opinion/story still stands ... i await your story http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2016/84648-starescreen.gif

an addition to my story, now that you've [too?] strongly accentuated the background buildings/smog, would include '[strong?] guilt from environmental effects of box building'
amiright?

la
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2016/84648-bye.gif

Bodhi Peace
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
yeah I'm stuck in a pickle
I absolutely must find a way to push the smog stacks into the background
Someone trapped that idea in my head a while back and I had to try it
I think lessening/getting rid of the outlines will help some because it looks good but just too strong

I can tell the story when the paint has settled into its necessary form
But it really is short. lol. Just an idea sort of.

Bodhi Peace
01-11-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm still learning how acrylics work.
Do the windows look sloppy, like I couldn't paint within the lines?
I tried to make them glow with a very transparent mix into medium and dragging it out.

La_
01-12-2016, 02:41 AM
atmospheric perspective [in reality] dictates that the more distant something is the softer its edge and its color value so for every level back you go you knock down the detail a little bit more and more.

of windows, if i stood inside the left building and looked outside, how many wee blue panes of glass high would i be ... same question of the yellow blinds windows (i should be shorter in the more distant building). of sloppy they're just the right amount, but i would crisp up the building on the right again, and yeah, soften the smog outline.
acrylics are a pain, try oils if you get a chance

la

Bodhi Peace
01-12-2016, 03:14 AM
you're right I have to be more bold at this point in the game
I still have a lot to do
I forget how much creative juice you have to sink into the art
Each decision, each detail, I can recall, but I can't explain it all to you
I guess that's what makes the painting so interesting, so communicative
Gawd, I've got to figure out what to do with that green land

Bodhi Peace
03-25-2016, 10:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2016/1976816-man-box-March-2016.jpg

Any comments on the direction this is going. I just found out how hard it was to match the colors (but I got close)

La_
03-25-2016, 11:37 PM
well
welcome back jack [in-a-box]
are we done yet
i don't see a signature
heaps better than the first draft
much more refined/balanced
cheerier too, does he like boxes now?
still looks questionable with his expression
:angel:

la

Bodhi Peace
03-26-2016, 01:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2016/1976816-800_final.JPG

I was so displeased with those colors. This should be better.

And what are people using for acrylic palettes? I'm using old plastic containers and it ain't going so well...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2016/1976816-old_palette.JPG

overwrite c'mon
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2016/1976816-man-box-March-2016.jpg

maryinasia
03-26-2016, 02:05 AM
Love this.

I use old plastic boxes and put them in ziplock bags.

Andrewcody
03-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Buy some plastic throw away plates
White is best without any texture.
Or if you can find a piece of glass from a glass table top
Glass thicker than window glass with no sharp edges
Or buy a wooden or plastic palette and clean it after each work
Regards
Andrew

Bodhi Peace
03-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Andrew,
That helps. I'm going to look for some thick glass.
! Found a nice thick glass plate. Let's see how it goes.

Some
03-30-2016, 10:26 AM
I see this man in the box is afraid to go back in...

jimwhalen
03-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Plastic containers work well for a "wet palette".

To make a wet palette you will need:

- Plastic container ( I invested in a RUBBERMAID container with a top that seals tightly)

-Two copper pennies

-Distilled water ( I boil tap water to make my own)

- Three or four paper towels (either cut or folded to fit the bottom of the container)

- Parchment Paper

Set up instructions:

- Place the two copper pennies in opposite corners of the container (this helps cut down on mold

- Place the paper towels over the pennies

- Saturate the towels with distilled water

- Place a sheet of parchment over the wet paper towels

Now you have a wet palette. Place your portions of paint on the parchment.
spray a light mist of distilled water over your paint and close the lid and your paint will stay wet and mold free for at least a week. During that week, just remove the parchment with the paint on it and use a fresh parchment sheet for fresh paint as necessary.

jocko500
04-09-2016, 07:08 PM
it a man that can not think out side a box. but the artist is thinking outside the box for him. cool work

Bodhi Peace
04-09-2016, 07:40 PM
"thank you, come again"

I like your interpretation

Wetbrush3018
05-11-2016, 10:35 PM
I once had dream about driving around in box just like this. I wasn't as disconnected as this fellow seems, but it was all going good until I got a flat..You don't want a flat box. Great piece!!

Bodhi Peace
05-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Thank you. I like dreams a lot!

Bodhi Peace
07-08-2016, 03:05 AM
Well I'm finally cooking again with this. Any guidance appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2016/1976816-man_box_2016.JPG

Deborah Susan Hill
07-09-2016, 05:31 AM
I like your man in a box painting quite a lot. The sky reminds me of the painting, the scream, by Edvard Munch. Overall I like the flat treatment and the use of color in this work and it has a great outsider art look and feel about it. It is the sort of work Dan Akroyd has hanging in his blues brothers club in Chicago.

For a palette for oils or acrylics, I use a piece of tempered glass that is about a foot square with the edges taped so I don't cut myself. I have a sheet of white plastic taped to the back of it so I can see that my mixed color is what it will look like on the canvas. You can also buy a palette that has an airtight lid from Blick, or cheap Joes or Jerrys artarama for not too much money when they are having a discount sale. The tempered glass palette can be scraped off easily if the paint dries on it, so that is one advantage to it. As always, Deb.

Bodhi Peace
07-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Thank you for looking and your words of appreciation.
It is nice to hear an honest analysis from a knowledgeable person.

I have settled on a glass plate palette.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2016/1976816-glass_palette.jpg

Robincat
07-10-2016, 03:28 PM
for my palette I use a tray covered with saran wrap - tape the ends under it. Then
when I am finished for the day I cover with another saran wrap and press lightly. I may go through about three layers with layering - If I have to mix more of an original colour -I still have the original at the bottom layer to copy from, because I am now working on the second layer...... Of course the first layer may have good wet paint (preserved under the wrap) that I can always go back to. When I am totally finished I roll it all and toss it. Nice clean and no cleaning really.

Bodhi Peace
07-10-2016, 05:02 PM
thanks for sharing your methods

Just a reminder to everyone:
Don't ever forget to thoroughly clean out your brushes. I got one tacky hard brush!

La_
07-11-2016, 03:40 PM
oh i do hope you keep the half/half hair cut and shirt style in this newer version! it really helps play up the indecision(s) he's struggling with.
the smoke stacks and sky are pretty cool now too.

la

Bodhi Peace
07-11-2016, 04:43 PM
thank u
i've put a lot of thought in here