PDA

View Full Version : The Sounds of Creation

synnworld
11-30-2015, 12:25 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2015/1978204_sounds_of_Creation.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Sounds of Creation
Year Created:
Medium: Charcoal
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18x24 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The was a piece I did for the "Drawing Through" gallery show, at the Mammal gallery. This took place on December 17-19 when I was working with Larry Clark and Liquidblackness.

The piece represents the creation of the universe through the sound of the saxophone. The show dealt with Larry Clark's film Passing Through (1977), which I got to watch the very first digital translation of the film from film along side Larry Clark.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Thoughts on composition, theme, technique.

Bodhi Peace
11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
I really like the sky and the proximity of the planet.
You did this last December?
The things I don't like as much are the top of that left peak (hard to see and different from the rest of the image) and the white line of the bottom of the figure (it distracts).
Also: are you looking for ways to incorporate "music" or "saxophone" into the image?

synnworld
11-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Sorry, I'm on a phone so stupid typos, September not December.

Also no, he is actually playing a sax, its where the stars and everything is coming from, the viewer just can't seem it. Thanks for replying.

La_
12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
yeah, so, if the story is a someone creating the universe with a sax, i think it's kind of important that we see the sax in order to understand the story.

la

synnworld
12-01-2015, 03:56 PM
The story is actually, the universe is being creates with sound, the "sax" was only important because the show I was in more or less revolved around the jazz component of the film, "passing through." I probably should've incorporated some soundwaves in it, but I focused more on the creation of the universe. Most of my art in the show had very lose connection to the movie's theme since Larry clark used the names of the Orisha for some characters, and my art either connected with Creationism and/or mythology.