PDA

View Full Version : Pastel dust and Casein Emulsion

desertaire
11-30-2015, 03:10 AM
Just learning about using Casein and read that to add colors to the limited Shiva palette one can mix pigment with Casein Emulsion. I have a lot of soft pastel crumbs from broken sticks and a box full of nubs so I ground up a nice fuchsia, added some Casein Emulsion and voila! Now my Casein palette is limited only by the number pastel colors in my scrap stick box.

robertsloan2
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
That works! Good pastels are nearly all pigment, as long as you sort crumbs and dust by color you can do things like that. I've been saving mine by hue in pill bottles rather than trying for the interesing warm or cool multi pigment gray. I might get medium values by some lights and some pure tones but won't wind up with just mixed gray.

retnes
12-30-2015, 02:35 PM
I have been trying to paint domestic cats for sometime now, and after visiting your web site, I feel I will be more satisfied doing them in oil pastels more than any medium I have tried, such as soft pastels and watercolors.
You and I do have one thing in common other than the love of art, and that is long term disability. However the light in my tunnel is the ability to create something beautiful.
Thank you, your paintings are indeed very inspiring and beautiful.